GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

The Search Is Over...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-12 | 11:33 PM
ayyofresh
Driver School Candidate

Default The Search Is Over...

After a few months of searching around the Chicagoland area and surrounding states. I finally found a decent GS300 to daily. I originally had intentions of purchasing a black GS300, but for the price, the mileage on the car and the fair shape that it was in, I couldn't turn it down. I found this up in Wisconsin yesterday, it was about a 2 hour drive, but I would it say it was definitely worth it. Its a '93 and it only had 122k miles on it, which was the lowest I've seen at its price. The ones I've seen around my price range was over 170k. It had very little rust, which is not a problem since my uncle does body work. Of course my plans were to do a tune up, replace a few parts, do a flush on everything and do some cosmetic work.

Yesterday, I claybarred, waxed and buffed it out and it really needed it. It looked like it was never washed or detail since it left the showroom floor back in '93. Today, I started by replacing the spark plugs & wires. Tomorrow, I plan on doing an oil change, tire rotation, wheel balanced & alignment. I also picked up a bottle of seafoam (heard it was good, thought I would try it out).

The car needs new brakes and pads. Car shakes when I'm braking at 50mph. So will be doing that this coming weekend most likely. The interior would need some work, which is the least of my worries right now. Has a tear on the driver seat, but the other are fine. The woodgrain has been chipped off on some of the interior, such as the ashtray and the rear right passenger compartment. I'm missing the door handle trim on the rear right passenger as well. The door panel has some holes near the speaker. I'm thinking someone was trying to steal the speakers before so I might just replace the whole door panel for the rear right since it has the most problems as far as interior wise. That same door doesn't close properly so the hinges might need to be realigned. It needs the door sill too. I think both seats fell off the track. One side once to move forward but the other side doesn't want to. (Opinions on this? Is this common?) The window trim on the driver side is broken. That's pretty much it. Most are just cosmetic.

If anyone has anything that I need replaced feel free to let me know and give me a good price shipped!

I have intentions of adding aftermarkets parts in the future, but right now I just gotta take care of the "small" things first. Like I said, this is my daily so I don't have to drive or rack up so many miles on my 2008 Mitsubishi Evo X.

On to the pics (These were taken when I first bought the car, no pics after the detail or progress yet, but these should do for now.)

Old 08-07-12 | 12:03 AM
suprawhite
Advanced

Congrats, it's a clean GS with low miles. Oh nice color also since I love white.
Old 08-07-12 | 03:53 PM
2GSC300
Lead Lap

Boy that thing is clean. Congrates on the pick up and GL on the build
Old 08-07-12 | 11:17 PM
6N1SC
Rookie

Super clean man, nice pickup! Always liked the look of a white 1stgen gs
Old 08-09-12 | 12:18 PM
cubanmiami
Driver School Candidate

Default Congrats,

hi, congratulations on your new old vehicle, i also bought and 1994 GS one week ago, it is not on the best conditions but it is allright, it needs some cosmetic work, mine has 180xxx miles and running strong, the only thing i notice is that from the stop it is kind of slow, but after it hits like 4k RPM all that power gets unleached and kick ***, about the electric SEATS, i had the same problem with mines, it is kind dificult to explan, i had to take them out... once u take the seat out of the car, you will see the motor at the front, on each side there is a threaded bar, at the front end there are like two plastic pices that direct the power of the electric motor to those bar, but, each plastic pice has inside the converter and it is plastic, wich is POS, so whats happening is that one bar tryies to move but the other side is stock cus there is no power, so what i did was, i took that threaded bar out and leave the one with traction in place, it is not the best repair but now i have both seats moving back and forth, hope this help
Old 08-09-12 | 09:00 PM
ayyofresh
Driver School Candidate

^Thanks cubanmiami. I will definitely give that a try. I had other things I was trying to fix. So far this week, I had replaced the spark plugs, got my wheels balances, which helped the shaking a lot. I still got to go for an alignment soon steering wheel is a little off, I got a buddy that would take of that for free at Just Tires. I was going to replace the brake rotors and pads, but when I took it off their was still at least 85-90% left on it. So I ended up returning, because it was just replaced and I didn't even know that when I purchased the car. The rear right passenger wasn't closing properly, so I realigned the hinges and now it closes just fine. Just a few more things that needs to be fixed and small cosmetic pieces for interior need to be replaced then it should be good. Also, I need to replace the trunk struts they are completely blown.
Old 08-10-12 | 07:19 AM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Congrats on the find!! More pics of the Evo?
Old 08-10-12 | 07:22 PM
ayyofresh
Driver School Candidate

You can see my JDM Chicago feature here:

http://jdmchicago.com/wp/2012/07/min...-rickys-evo-x/
Old 08-13-12 | 09:16 AM
cubanmiami
Driver School Candidate

sounds good, i have mine and im really liking it more everyday, and to tell you, i have a 2012 Corolla S 5SP Manual, and this lexus i will say that if i fix tha shaking it has, it runs better than my new corolla wich as only 8K miles, on thursday i will take care of the A/C blower which is giving me problem and then i may jump for the compressor, same day i hope to take care of inner and outer tierods, and it will be like a bullet, let me ask u, did u got yours with the headlights looking like that or u put something on them? thay look new, i want mines to look just like those,
Old 08-13-12 | 09:20 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

nice rides and welcome to CL
Old 08-13-12 | 09:23 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

that's a fantastic find!
Old 08-30-12 | 11:38 PM
d7620
Pole Position

sweet! you'll two baddass cars