GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-12, 08:20 PM
Yander89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer

Hi, i have an amp and subwoofer installed on my corolla, i want to install it on my 94 gs300, but i would like to know if anyone knows tha watts of the stock sobwoofer located on the back of the vehicle, my amp is kewood 250w and the subwoofer is 300w, im assuming the stock woofer is around the same watts, also can i have both woofers installed at the same time? From
The same amp? I have a friend that he just ran a cable from the amp to one subwoofer and couple of month he added another wooder by just connecting one woofer with the other, can i do that? Thanks a lot
Old 09-04-12, 08:06 AM
tuner79
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock sub is around 150 rms tops. Putting an aftermarket amp will only blow the sub. It was a legnthy process for me. But I managed to simplify it. Realize that the BEST and RECOMMENDED type of subs for our vehicles would be a free air. Which don't leave you with many options. I had 2 options which hopefully your model will as well. There was a plastic bracket on my sub (sub was 10"). So you could replace your sub and slightly mod the plastic bracket to make it fit. Then use a 10". I found out you could just remove the bracket and sub all together and use a 12" sub. So you'll get deeper base with less wattage. If you chose the right set up. But the response differs depending on what type of music you listen to. Keep in mind you have to put into account the depth of your sub considering you can't hit the gas tank. My set up is 1 12" hitting 350rms. Sounds perfect! Nothing but compliments and the trunk literally barely rattles and everything hits clean.

Last edited by tuner79; 09-04-12 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-04-12, 07:16 PM
AJ.STYLEZ
Driver

Tuner don't hookups like that needs a audio battery too? Because I have a 12" 1500 watt subwoofer. I also have two 500watt MTA amps. One for the subwoofer n one for the 4 doors speakers. The sub is stored in the deck. I took out the speaker grill n placed it in the hole. The reason I ask is because the battery I used are not powerful enough for this setup. The lights dim crazy.
Old 09-05-12, 10:12 AM
tuner79
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To Yander89:

What your talking about your friend did is either running the subs in a series or parallel. But you would need to do your homework on that. There are too many questions to ask about your set up. So I hope this helps. There's more on there as well...

http://www.jlaudio.com/header/Suppor...Drivers/287543

Just keep in mind the right subs make all the difference.

To A.J.

Don't know whose set up you were referring to, but both shouldn't need an extra battery if you do the install right.
As for your set up, that could be various different things. But It all boils down to power. Somewhere something is stuggling to get the juice it needs (like sucking on a milkshake with a coffee straw. I'd start off by checking your connections from your amp to your batt. Are the cables big enough to support the power?? 8ga only handles up to 350rms max, 4 ga goes up to 5-600 and 2 -0ga goes higher. Otherwise you'd start seeing dimming, car in dying at a stand still, or your wires would get pretty hot. So if your cables are thick enough then check the connections to the battery, Are they thick enough? Next check your battery. Run it by an auto parts store and check to see if there are any dead cells which would cause it to not charge properly. Check all cables going to the battery. Both negative and positive. I upgraded both of mine to 4 gauge. Last would be the alternator. Have that checked at your local auto parts store as well. FYI: Color coated battery terminals are like suckubus's. Never use those!
Those are all the cheap ways to help pin point your power loss issue. If you plan on getting a bass cap (band aid) then aim high and get something over 3 farad. .5-1.5 is pointless and a waste of $. But if you have the $ and are a serious audiophile...

Then scroll till you see the alternators.

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templa...204&SearchYN=N

Good luck guys

Last edited by tuner79; 09-05-12 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-18-12, 11:41 AM
Lextra
Rookie

Just pull that stock sub out and use it as an air port. Then throw a sub in the trunk. I have had plenty of systems in these cars & getting bass into the cabin can be a daunting task. I didn't like the free air technique. However sundown audio is coming out with a new free air 8" sub that looks promising. But for myself a single 12 in the trunk with the air port sounds great
Old 09-19-12, 10:59 AM
RustyDawwg
Driver School Candidate

Can any of you post pics of your wiring install for positive on battery to amp? I am not certain wheres the best path to run my positive wire through firewall,