GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Wind Noise -- Front door driver side?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-02, 09:21 PM
GSMan300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind Noise -- Front door driver side?

Recently on the highway I noticed wind noise coming from the top of my driver side window. What could be wrong? Maybe a seal?

I have a 94' GS300...I'm thinking the seal may have gone bad. It doesn't seem like a major job. I think I could handle the fix if I just knew what it was. Should I take it to Lexus or fix it myself? Anyone else have this problem?

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: What do you think?
If I take some dish washing detergent in water and spread it along the edges of the window frame...I might be able to find out where the seal is broken because at high speeds the air would cause bubbles.
Old 11-24-02, 08:38 PM
EG8's Wife
Driver School Candidate

Default Ours has the same problem

Our 94' GS3 has the same problem, only cause some idjot' at the dealership locked the key in the car and then pryed the window frame away on both sides to try and fit a coat hanger in there.
I need to replace both mouldings and the seals are ripped to.
Mabe check your frame for bends first.
Old 11-25-02, 01:59 AM
WoofGS
Driver School Candidate

I also had a problem with wind noise from the top of the drivers window at high speeds. I brought it to the dealer last year and they had to order the piece of rubber that goes around the window. I remember this being pretty expensive. But the problem is that my car developed this same wind noise again 1/2 year later and is currently very bad. It looks like the rubber is not making a tight seal with the window but rather is curved so that wind can get in. So I'm also looking for a solution that doesn't require a trip to the dealer again. Any ideas on how to fix this problem easily?

Last edited by WoofGS; 11-25-02 at 02:00 AM.
Old 11-25-02, 02:34 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Im lookin...

Im lookin into a few possible fixes...first would be to use windshield urethane (the stuff speedy AG uses to hold your windshield to the frame) I would find the most likely spots for wind to enter the frame and seal it with tiny amounts of urethane and test it for leaks. The beauty of this method is that the urethane will stick to the seal and in the cracks but wont stick to the glass....so if you do it cleanly you wont even see the repair.

James (EG8's Husband) lol
Old 11-25-02, 03:18 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i don't have any wind noises from any of my windows. but sometimes when i roll down the driver window the seal flops out. about a 5 inch piece just hangs out and i just use my fingers to shove it back in. have you guys try opening your door panal and adjusting the window so it rolls up another couple cm that would force the window against the seal and you wouldn't have any more noises. just a though.
Old 11-27-02, 02:17 AM
Mischievious GS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i had this problem when i first bought the car. at first, we thought there was a problem with one of the clips in the door being broken. then i go down to the dealership where my friend works, and he told me that you would need to buy the entire seal that goes around the window to fix the problem.

total cost of seal: $350+

seems to be a common problem with the 1st gens. particularly 1994
Old 11-27-02, 03:36 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

so did you buy it?? did it work??
Old 01-08-03, 07:30 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

So what happened? I have that same problem for my 94 gs.....
thanks
Old 01-08-03, 07:46 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My problem is the frame not the seal...I havent bought the frame yet. They cost 156.00 each side at a dealer here.
Old 01-08-03, 09:40 PM
Wald GS

In the mean time, have you in anyway minimized the wind sounds by doing something to it?

Thanks
Old 01-08-03, 10:43 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

you can Raammat (sound deaden) the entire car like me. lol. my car is almost pitch quiet now. lol. even on the freeway. barely any road noise
Old 01-08-03, 10:46 PM
Wald GS

Sup Jmai,

How do you do you raammatt it?
Old 01-08-03, 10:52 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

its sound deadening stuff that i put in my car for my sound system. its so my trunk doesn't rattle. well i put it all over my trunk, floor, inside floor, door, and everything. only cost like 160 bucks or so shipped. plus 1 month of my lazy time. it totally helps road noise. for pics check out www.raamaudio.com. for pics and info
Old 01-10-03, 12:19 PM
alexamparo
Pole Position

damn guys I didn't know wind noise was such a prevalant problem in our cars......It gets on my nerves to sit a person in my car which is supposed to be a luxury car and have to here raging wind coming into my car......my first 1st gen was quiet as anything i've ever driven in...but this one has a fcukin leak that just drives me nuts...it had a tear in the rubber and i crazy glued it together...but it still lets wind in...theres a part where the black plastic frame comes off of the body of the car...COULD THAT BE MY POINT OF ENTRY???? if so how do i fix????
Old 01-10-03, 02:09 PM
EG8's Wife
Driver School Candidate

A baseball bat could be very therapeutic....
but probably not the answer you're looking for...

Quick Reply: Wind Noise -- Front door driver side?