Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, i just see many first gen with this kit
Old 11-28-02, 10:10 PM
dizoita
Driver School Candidate

Can someone who has the kit tell me the quality fit or strength of the aeorgear kit? I plan on getting the full kit. Thanks
Old 11-29-02, 04:18 AM
ERICKGS3
Rookie

the titan aggressor kit is what i have....it's a fiberglass kit so it will shatter if you hit something head on like i did last year.(poor dog).. other than that its been fine.. with any lowered car you have to be hella careful..........

about being a knock off i dont know.. i really dont care..it was rather hard to find a kit for the car 4 years ago.. hell it was hard finding someone who sold any kits for the car...

sandy at aerogear.net had just developed the mold around the time i was throwing a local car show so i got the plug....

knock off or not its one to buy if you want to get a kit that is inexpensive and easy to get....and if anyone wants to talk any smack about it being a knock off then email me and we can talk about it...

erick

Last edited by ERICKGS3; 11-29-02 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-29-02, 04:37 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, it is a knock-off...here's the orginal...

I wasn't sure but I knew their JZS161 kit was a knock-off (of the IMC kit) so I figured the JZS147 kit was also a knock-off (wasn't really hard to guess)...I just wasn't sure which one...

As for ERICKGS3, I give you props for having a fixed up first gen in the first place (especially 4 years ago!)...hell, you obviously didn't know that the Aerogear kit was a knock-off...what can you do?
Old 11-29-02, 04:56 AM
ERICKGS3
Rookie

manaray---good looking out....

the front end of the car in the pic looks alittle different it.. kinda sticks out more i think..

but seriously even if i were to buy a kit today.. and it were between the aerogear or the "real one" i'd go with the one that was easier and cost wise to get...which would probably be the aerogear kit..

i have even thought about taking the kit off because 1) i hate the "ricer" look..people say it doesnt look ricer at all. 2) i hate driving careful, i know all the bumps in town..3) Sandy at aerogear.net wouldn't appreciate it since he hooked it.. and 4) i'm thinking about selling it since i rarely drive it...

dizoita- the kit fits great..the first mold 4 years ago was weak the stock fog lights didnt even fit...now they do ..Sandy redid the mold around 2 years ago and now its straight..strength wise if you dont hit anything it will last years.. the back and side skirts i've had on the car for almost 4 years now.. the front i've replaced 3 times.. 1st...damn lady drove it thru a carwash...2nd dead dog on the road...and now i'm at the third and last...if i hit anything again i'm going stock....
Old 11-30-02, 01:43 AM
geees300
Driver

Default 1st gen body kit

@ first i wanted to get the admiration kit like the pic above but found it too expensive. i ended up buying the titan from aerogear instead. fit and finish is mediocre - but then again fiberglass or urethane will still require some trimming to fit. strength wise it's better than the ones from japan - i spoke to a guy from cali who had the chance to compare the two diff. kits and found out the aerogear kit is far more superior. i guess it all comes down to budget and taste. post some pic's when you get a kit!

geees
Old 12-01-02, 05:11 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Personally, I'd go with the real. I have NEVER seen a knock-off kit that's better in ANY WAY than the real deal. Knock-off manufactures sell them cheap because they are made cheap.

I associate buying knock-off kits and wheels on a LUXURY car the same as wearing a fake Rolex (or fake high end watch) with an Armani suit. It's just kinda cheezy.

It's not taste, because the knock-off kit is a copy of the real kit's design...it's only budget. Some people spend the money to do their hobbies right, others just want to "be in"...like the guys that buy fake FMIC and electronic "Blow Off" valves...

Not a knock on anyone...I just believe in doing it right. Buying fake is not doing it right IMO (that is, if you KNOWINGLY buy fake crap...if you didn't know, you didn't know...)

Driving a luxury car like a Lexus, don't you think that it should be done right? I mean don't you think it's cheezy when a Mercedes Benz S320 owners puts on S600 badges and buys fake Lorinser wheels...I mean really, doesn't that say something about that person?
Old 12-01-02, 07:28 PM
geees300
Driver

Talking

Godfather,
not all of us are as blessed as you are...

Last edited by geees300; 12-01-02 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-03-02, 07:30 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

geees300: Hehhee..it has nothing to do with being blessed. Afterall, if you had your heart set on a Rolex Explorer II, would you just go buy a Folex Exploder II instead? No, you would save up and get the real deal.

The problem is, too many people (and mostly kids nowadays) are into instant gratification. They see something, they have to have it NOW. Waiting and saving up to get the RIGHT thing is the way to do it. Whenever you rush, you always end up making a mistake. Look at all the guys that ran out to buy some crappy *** wheels because they couldn't afford good ones at the time of purchase...now they take a loss on the olds ones trying to sell them so they essentially spent MORE money.

It's like putting a set of wheels on a credit card and then making minimum payments...at the end, you just spend enough money to buy some HRE's are retail but instead, you ended up with Konigs...just because they had to have something NOW.

PATIENCES FOLKS. PATIENCES. Save up your money and do it right. You're NOT going to die if you don't have a body kit and wheels today or tommorow. Don't ghettoize your ride. People with cheap *** civics do it...don't make your Lexus the same as these cheap *** civics.

If you have to cheapen your ride, then in reality, you can not afford to own a luxury car and you can not afford to really fix it up. It's no different then the cheezeballs that do their Mercedes the same way...(like what I described in the last post) They bought the S320 used with 185K miles on it and it's probably salvage titled...then they go and buy S600 badges (used on ebay no less) and they buy some cheap *** Lorinser knock-offs and they try to front like they're a pimp...I mean really, who wants to be this cheeseball?

This is not a knock on anyone because I'd give the same advice to myself. I would not fix up my LUXURY car unless I could do it right. Even having the money, I had to wait to get all things I had. How stupid would it have been to just buy something that's readily available when all I had to do was wait a little to get exactly what I wanted? Patiences...you'll thank yourself in the end...
Old 12-03-02, 07:42 PM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah....i agree with manaray. all the stuff on my GS has been aquired over time. if i wanted to i could have gone the ghetto way an just spent a couple thousand, but then my car would look like crap. I purchased my GS for $15k and have put another $15k into it, and i'm nowhere near done. But i'm not in a hurry......Patience is a Virtue!
Old 12-03-02, 09:22 PM
geees300
Driver

Red face

2Lex and Manaray,
You both made a sensible statement and hopefully others can model from that.
I have something to share with you folks. I didn't know about "knock offs" or @ least I thought I knew enough about my car until I joined this club. Since then I obviously learned a lot of valuable info. when it comes to our lexus like the do's & dont. I was initially adamant about joining CL but definitely no regrets. Heck I can be the Canadian poster boy for CL...lol.
I wish I was still living in the US so I can have the same access to parts and other things like you folks. Don't get me wrong I'm happy where I am it's this exchange rate that really frustrates me. Just to give you an idea the current exchange rate is $1.62 Canadian for every $1.00 US plus duty and other taxes on all purchases outside of Canada...can you feel my pain?
And of course there's the labour cost to have the parts properly installed. I had the body kit installed and finished by a reputable shop actually the only 1 in town and it set me back $3K and that's only for the kit and not the entire car!...do you understand my frustration?
I guess having said all that things could be worst. That's all for the light reading. Again Kudos to CL and it's members.

geees
aka 'the lexus lover'
Old 12-03-02, 11:12 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

its funny. all the money some of these civic owner and other honda/acura own put into there car is unbelievable. if they would just save ALL that money they put into that car the could buy a really really nice car like a benz/lex/beemer.
Old 12-03-02, 11:54 PM
ERICKGS3
Rookie

MANARAY- i totally feel you on people trying fake the funk.. it is chessy when people front..but thats about it....i see some nice luxury cars driven by older people that have wack a$$ wheels.. i just feel sorry for those people but we all know they could afford some real wheels..i have just been reading some of your posts for awhile and i agree with lots of the things you say and i like your flavor when its comes to cars and fixing them up.

i have a rolex that i paid lots of money for and i wear it with jeans.. not an armani suit.. thats just not my style.. some people have the money but they would rather buy the cheaper version... man everything is a knock off.. everything is copied off some other person's idea..buying the more expensive wheel doesnt make anyone better..have you ever bought anything on sale?? damn you aint cool!! you waited till it went on sale!! i paid full retail i'm cool..

if you really wanted to buy the real thing.. then why dont we all get a toyota aristo and get it shipped over here? now thats real!

"If you have to cheapen your ride, then in reality, you can not afford to own a luxury car and you can not afford to really fix it up."

like i said if it were up to me to buy the aerogear one or the japanese one.. i'd go with the aerogear.. and i know that i could afford the other one...i dont like that people even buy luxury cars to front when they really know they can't even afford those cars.. young kids driving SUVs with 22's all on credit!!! I own five cars and the one i drive the most is my 88 pickup..

damn what the hell am i blabbin bout... anyways out!!!!! e

Last edited by ERICKGS3; 12-03-02 at 11:59 PM.
Old 12-04-02, 01:24 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

geees300 - Man, trust me, I can feel the pain. I have travelled a lot and I've gotten shafted on transfer rates more times than I'd like to talk about...

You know Steve Ganz can get stuff shipped to you? As for the body shop, yeah, that's a tough one...if you lived closer to the border, you could just come over here and have the work done...good reason to take a small vacation...

And like I said before, I don't fault anyone for not knowing...I mean if you didn't know, you didn't know...

Jmai - I agree, I would rather save my money and buy a car worth fixing up (worth fixing up IMO)....however, there are many "inexpensive cars" that I would fix up (like a 240SX or a AE86)...they don't all have to be expensive/luxury rides....

ErickGS3 - Hey, I think if you can get something on sale or on a killer deal on something, that is WAY worth it. Why pay retail?! But having price be the LEADING determination of mods is wrong IMO. You know what I mean...you should pick the mod, THEN you worry about getting it for a good deal...not picking the mod based what's the "cheapest available".

And I'm with ya on the people that buys luxury cars they can't afford. I think we have a few members on here that are in that situation...

I see a lot of older folks pay like $6K for some crappy *** wheels from the dealership...oh well, if you don't do the research, you get what you get...

...But why would you buy the AeroGear kit over the real deal?
Old 12-04-02, 02:00 AM
ERICKGS3
Rookie

i got the aerogear kit hooked up for free.99..thats one reason.. no wait i paid five-fifty free..

the other is because i've been to the warehouse and i have seen the quality of work.. Sandy has kits for other cars i think are just TOO much, not my taste at all.. its like these cats are turning their cars into Tranformers..i've been waiting for these robotic cars to transform already..and dayaam paint the freakin kit before you drive around showing it off..seriously..now thats cheesssy!!!

he has made his molds better and i have seen this difference in fit and strength over the years. he has worked hard making the kit as good as possible..multiple trips over seas...

when i get my next luxury car i will just drop it and put some clean wheels on it thats it... but that might be awhile because the GS and ES i have now are the best cars that i've ever owned.. better than the 93 MR2, the 95 300z tt, the 94NSX, the 98 acura RL, all the other cars i have not worth noting...better as in all around..

Quick Reply: best 1st gen kit?