GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Rear spacers for our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-02, 07:03 PM
Sovero1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear spacers for our cars?

Anyone using them? If so, what size, brand, and how much/where?

Thanks,

Ed
Old 11-27-02, 09:55 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i was looking at getting some too. i read earlier that the only type you should get are H&R. how much do they run for?
Old 11-28-02, 12:41 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wheel spacers

why do you guys need wheel spacers for?
Old 11-28-02, 01:00 AM
Sovero1
Pole Position

Yeah, I read that same post. Ok, to H&R's. They apparently come in several different types:

* DR Wheel Spacer (for 10-40mm track widening) is fitted between the wheel and hub, using longer wheel bolts (please order seperately).
* DRS Wheel Spacer with new longer studs supplied (for 10-40mm track widening) is fitted between the wheel and hub, exchanging the existing wheel studs for longer ones.
* DRA Wheel Spacer/Adapter (for 40+mm track widening) is fitted to the hub with special wheel bolts and has new threaded holes for existing wheel bolts.
* DRM Wheel Spacer/Adapter (for 40+mm track widening) is fitted to the hub with special nuts and it carries new wheel studs for the existing wheel-nuts.

The best pricing I was able to find was at http://www.optauto.com/webstore/prod...t=421&last=421

It looks like the only 25mm spacer type is DRM, which I am not too crazy about. I personally prefer DRS.
Old 11-28-02, 01:02 AM
Sovero1
Pole Position

Default Re: wheel spacers

Originally posted by indypwr
why do you guys need wheel spacers for?
To push out our rear wheels. I can't speak for John, but my rims are same width all around and if I can push out my rears, it'd look better and handle better as well.

Ed
Old 11-28-02, 01:52 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

actually i want all 4. not just the rear. i don't want it to pop out like (nationality here) cars. i just want my wheels more flush with the body for the meaner look instead of being more under and inside the car.

so which ones are the ones we would need to buy. i'm kinda confused. i have stock rims and want about 1 inch around.
Old 11-28-02, 02:14 AM
Sovero1
Pole Position

Originally posted by Jmai22
so which ones are the ones we would need to buy. i'm kinda confused. i have stock rims and want about 1 inch around.
I guess you'd go for 25mm (1 inch) then. But I think you should get at most half of that for the front.

So you are set on buying them? If so, when can we expect to see pix?
Old 11-28-02, 02:32 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

maybe after the holidays. no time soon. kinda tight on thee dough. gotta sell more drugs. lol j/k
Old 12-01-02, 06:14 PM
minh
Pole Position

i'm using 15mm out back and 5mm up front. i tried the 25mm in back at first but was rubbing like crazy. looked nice though. they are h&r. you will need to roll the fenders if you are lowered and using 25mm. you should only consider h&r, they are the only hub centric spacers. also for the most agressive look i would go 25mm in back and 15 or 20 in front if your rims aren't staggered.

Last edited by minh; 12-01-02 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-01-02, 07:44 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

minh do you still have the 25. i might want them. hook a viet bro up. lol
Old 12-01-02, 08:00 PM
Sovero1
Pole Position

1. What are staggered rims?

2. minh: can you please post some pix of your ride with spacers?

3. Out of curiosity, do you guys think my car should be lowered and by how much?

Pic 1

Pic 2

Last edited by Sovero1; 12-01-02 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-01-02, 08:10 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

1. stagger setup means like if your back rim are wider than your front, or if your just running wider tires in the back. you'll hear people talking about 8.5 inch rim in front and 10 inch in back. that is stagger. or 245 in front and 285 rear or soemthing.

3. as for your car being lowered. you don't have much of a choice if your budget is under 500. the only choice you have would then be eibach pro kit which is about 1.5 inch drop
Old 12-01-02, 08:21 PM
Sovero1
Pole Position

Originally posted by Jmai22
3. as for your car being lowered. you don't have much of a choice if your budget is under 500. the only choice you have would then be eibach pro kit which is about 1.5 inch drop
How'd you guess my budget, hehehe? Yeah, I looked at those springs. Can the stock struts handle it? What about the infamous front tire wear?

My question though is, if you look at the pix of my car, does it need to be lowered or can I get away with the current look? Much like yourself, the $$$ is tight, and if I were to spend the dinero, I'd rather get the HID retro kit or the conversion like yours. Stock light output (or lack thereof) irritates me.
Old 12-01-02, 08:29 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

no kidding. my girl drives EXACT same car as me except her exterior is grey and mine is black. both our interiors are dark grey. its cool cuz everyone thinks its soo cute that we drive the same car . but when i drive her car. the headlights are sooo dim. its not even funny. if you ever come to cali i'll let you drive my car then drive my girl car right after. its like night and day.

as for the stock struts handling the shorter springs its hard to tell. i remember 1 person here had there stocks shocks blow 1 month after installation. and others have had it for over 6 months with no problem.

as for the tire wear issue. thats my main concern for lowering my car right now. i have pretty expensive tires 150 a piece. michelin 225's. so i don't want to fezuck em up. it looks like you have 16 inch tires so it MAY be a problem. from my previous post it seems like if you have 17+ rims you won't have a problem with the tire wear issue. also make sure you know what its gonna all cost you before you start. like myself. i'm not going to do anything until i can buy everything and do it all at once. i don't feel like someone putting on my springs. and then paying them again when i want to put on my shocks. just do it all at once.
Old 12-01-02, 09:25 PM
Sovero1
Pole Position

I have 17x7 rims with 225/50 all around. About the width, when I bought them, I just didn't know any better. I should've bought 17x8. But I definitely didn't want to go more then 17" cuz I live and do most of my driving in New York (hopefully you get the idea). That's why I am affraid to lower my car or to put on a body kit. The roads here suck. My friend got a 2001 IS300 with 17" rims and low profile tires, and he bent both of his front rims within first two weeks (he sometimes drives like a suicidal maniac, other times just aggressively).

I don't know if you notice, but the front tires look pretty flush with the fenders, but the rears could be pushed out 15-25mm, I still haven't decided which.

Quick Reply: Rear spacers for our cars?