GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

SeaFoaming 94 GS300 with 332K miles and horrible services from prior owner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-12, 04:37 PM
lkmljp12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile SeaFoaming 94 GS300 with 332K miles and horrible services from prior owner?

Little story about my gs.. please read.. .THANKS!

Simple story, bought this car at a super good deal with the mindset of putting a 2jzTT VVTi and new transmission...

When i got the car, it wouldn't move at D or R.... checked the transmission fluid and it was sludgy and super burned...... i did a simple on the spot fluid change n cleaned the filter [on the street, couldn't replace filter because needed to wait few days for it]

Well that showed me that the car was poorly serviced by the previous owner, i also found the air filter with mud in it, bad ignition wires, dirty spark plugs. I was not able to access cylinder 3, 4, 5 because the throttle body is on top of it. I will be removing the whole intake and cleaning it with gas until is shiny again. same with the egr.

I can't seem to figure out weather is worth doing the SeaFoam flush. The only place where carbon and sludge can build up is the intake, top of pistons and valve openings. Note that i will be cleaning the intake my self.

My second problem is that if this engine has not been rebuild sometime ago, it means it literally has 330k miles, which many of my mechanic friends say that SeaFoaming may ruin the parts as they are more worn out and likely to fail after.

I got high end parts for the major tune up i will be doing, so i want to make sure i don't ruin the engine.

What are you thoughts about it? You think is worth it?

Thanks for your HELP... srry for bad grammar..
Old 01-07-13, 09:35 AM
gilberjj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to club lexus but not to 2j's. Some people swear by sea foam, and others say its just oil that burns through your exhaust making all the smoke. I've used it a time or two and never noticed anything. I always use chevron and shell gases though, so that may be the reason. However, I don't think using seafoam could do anything harmful to the car. Try it out an let us know if it does anything.
If it were me, I'd change the fluids, put it a strong dosage of injector cleaner (in the gasoline) (wynns makes a great STRONG product for this), and drive like a teenager! That should clean it out well!
if that doesn't do it, it may just need a good ol fashioned cleaning (manually). However, eventually you get to a point where there's no sense in dumping money into a motor with 332k+ miles. Drive it till it lets go, and then do the swap.
On another note, how's the car run with 332k miles? How's the chassis feel (assuming you got the trans working)?
I'm new to this site and I'm still looking for a "highest mileage" thread.....
GOOD LUCK
Old 01-07-13, 07:11 PM
Highway
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lkmljp12

Little story about my gs.. please read.. .THANKS!

Simple story, bought this car at a super good deal with the mindset of putting a 2jzTT VVTi and new transmission...

When i got the car, it wouldn't move at D or R.... checked the transmission fluid and it was sludgy and super burned...... i did a simple on the spot fluid change n cleaned the filter [on the street, couldn't replace filter because needed to wait few days for it]

Well that showed me that the car was poorly serviced by the previous owner, i also found the air filter with mud in it, bad ignition wires, dirty spark plugs. I was not able to access cylinder 3, 4, 5 because the throttle body is on top of it. I will be removing the whole intake and cleaning it with gas until is shiny again. same with the egr.

I can't seem to figure out weather is worth doing the SeaFoam flush. The only place where carbon and sludge can build up is the intake, top of pistons and valve openings. Note that i will be cleaning the intake my self.

My second problem is that if this engine has not been rebuild sometime ago, it means it literally has 330k miles, which many of my mechanic friends say that SeaFoaming may ruin the parts as they are more worn out and likely to fail after.

I got high end parts for the major tune up i will be doing, so i want to make sure i don't ruin the engine.

What are you thoughts about it? You think is worth it?

Thanks for your HELP... srry for bad grammar..
Please seafoam it VIDEO tape then post