GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

where is your temp needle

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-02, 05:57 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where is your temp needle

well my temp needle is always exactly straight out. just a bit over the 2nd line. so its poitning like this ------ all the time after the car is warmed up. Indypwr thinkgs my temp gauge is high. i have a 93gs300. never had the radiator flushed before. i still have the brown coolant that only the factory puts in the car. will flushing the radiator help?? also how do i do it?
Old 12-13-02, 12:10 PM
geees300
Driver

hey jmai,
i thought you only worked on the electrical stuff on your car...lol. yeah your temp gauge seems fairly high. i live in a cold climate and mine is about the middle mark with the original thermostat and new coolant. btw the coolant should be like burgundy in colour not brown if it's from toyota and even if it's not from the dealer it should be green. having said all that it sounds like you definitely need a rad and engine flush. i suggest taking it to the dealer and have them do it so you'll know what to do next time. don't ever take it anywhere besides the dealer...lesson learend for me on my prevoius vehicle...they spliced my heater hose to tap in these cheap plastic connectors and that caused nothing but grief.
if you decide to go ahead and do it yourself make sure you buy the coolant from the dealer it should be < $ 25.00 and you will need a garden hose to flush the engine and rad. there are two drain plugs that you need to loosen one on the bottom of the rad and the other on the engine block (usually on the driver side).

good luck,
geees
Old 12-13-02, 03:04 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by geees300
hey jmai,
i thought you only worked on the electrical stuff on your car...lol. yeah your temp gauge seems fairly high. i live in a cold climate and mine is about the middle mark with the original thermostat and new coolant. btw the coolant should be like burgundy in colour not brown if it's from toyota and even if it's not from the dealer it should be green. having said all that it sounds like you definitely need a rad and engine flush. i suggest taking it to the dealer and have them do it so you'll know what to do next time. don't ever take it anywhere besides the dealer...lesson learend for me on my prevoius vehicle...they spliced my heater hose to tap in these cheap plastic connectors and that caused nothing but grief.
if you decide to go ahead and do it yourself make sure you buy the coolant from the dealer it should be < $ 25.00 and you will need a garden hose to flush the engine and rad. there are two drain plugs that you need to loosen one on the bottom of the rad and the other on the engine block (usually on the driver side).

good luck,
geees
thanks bro. i can probly located the one under the radiator but where is the one under the block?? i'm the type of person who likes to do it themself i don't like to pay someone to do it. also i thought i'm not suppose to use regular water. i thought your only suppose to use distilled water to flush it.

one last question. i heard its bad to have air bubbles when you fill the radiator back up. whats the correct way to fill it back up.
Old 12-13-02, 04:48 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default radiator flush

john, come to my house and i'll show you. you can drain the coolant from the block by removing the thermostat also.

i used anti-freez (green one) and it works fine with me. heck i took the car up north fr 600 miles and never my temp needle came up that high like yours. i told you before, your car seemed to run much hotter compared to normal operating conditions.

let me know.

btw, some guy might trade me his rims/tires. it's by enkie's called
"aeugis"...dont know if i spelled that right. it's a mesh design with staggared look. size is 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 with tires (dont know what size). he's still thinking about it. ill just straight trade if he wants.
Old 12-13-02, 04:57 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i tried callin you back last nite you didn't pick up. i'll see when i got time to go to your house. i just got a memebership to 24hour fitness so i gotta gain some weight. lol.
Old 12-13-02, 07:27 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Jmai, have you ever thought about making the sunroof open with one click like the 2nd Gen? Also, have you thought about some way to make all the windows have the one-click-down button? If so, what ever became of this idea?