GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Need a new engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-02 | 01:05 AM
kasper634
Rookie

Default Need a new engine

oyeah i got some good and bad news from the dealer the other day... well when the car is in gear (any gear) when i accelerate there is the knocking or weird *** sound coming from the engine, i thought that its the transmission because the sound goes away when the car is in neutral or in park. So i took it to the dealer to have it checked out. they call me up and im like give me some good news, the guy is liek well its both good and bad, the good that its nothing serious and the bad is that the only way to get rid of it is to replace the engine. im like WHAT? i dont even know what exactly it is, some flap over the 5th or 6th cylinder. and the car is buring oil. so now im debating....

i want a 2jz-gte engine with "TWIN TURBOS" and 6spd transimssion. Now ive heard that you cant pop the twin turbos in there cuz of the firewall and the ABS setup? what about the 6spd tranny, would that be a heard conversion? i found the the engine for 5500 with the tranny from toysport or something. but then i heard some bad things about them from one of the threads. so guys any suggestions, is it even worth putting all that money playing around with mods and all or should i just get another 2jz-ge engine? i love this car and i dont care how much money i gotta put in it to make it work. it just sucks ive had bad luck with it its only gotta 135000 on it. and its the Mechanical problem ive had with it. other than replacing shocks, battery, and the exhaust leak. and now i gotta replace the upper ball joints, im looking to get a good price on those. but im willing to put the car in the garage and drive my 88 audi 5000 till i get this baby up and running.

Also where is a good place to get the engine? i know plenty of people that can put it in for me, im prolly going to do all the work in my garage. so guys please help
Old 12-23-02 | 01:37 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

glad to hear that your not giving up on this puppy. sounds like you really enjoy your gs. good luck in the find. btw where is autotoys. i know its like 10 minutes from where i live but never knew wehre it was. i heard they have a turbo lex there.
Old 12-23-02 | 02:14 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

kasper:

well, sorry to hear that,bro. if you do have the money, i would get the 2jz-gte swap. i think you're looking about close to $8000 if toysport quoted you $5000 for the motor. if it includes the tranny, tht's even better. there is a place here in southern calif, knows 2jzgte swap with his eyes "closed". i mean he's very educated with these motors. he does charges a lot though like close to 15,000 which includes complete swap of front clip of supra twin turbo which puts out 320hp stock (usa), not (japan).
you know japanese 2jzgte only puts out 280.00 stock with twins.

another choice for you would be to build that motor you have and get a turbo kit like from f-max or toyomoto in florida. you just have to make sure you use a very strong turbo manifold as f-max, i heard, tends to crack. single turbo kit will run about 5000 and up depending.

if i were you, replace your piston rings, clean the head cylinder and do a complete valve job, use "hks" head gasket and just run a single turbo with a safe "psi" of 8-10. tht's very safe with stock bottom end. i wz going to do that but other things got in my way.
if you dont want turbo, then just rebuild that motor. it's the cheapest way for you to keep yr puppy!!!

good luck!!
Old 12-23-02 | 02:37 AM
kasper634
Rookie

thanks for that quick reply, yeah i know those price is way up there, haha how about the stock engine? how much will that run for no tranny or anything, also if i was to replace the ecu with the one from new engine would it display the milage the new engine has on it? cuz i think ill just go with that i dont got 15 grand to put into the car now, even thought it was a thoughtmight as well just buy the TT supra for like 10 grand more
Old 12-23-02 | 02:40 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

mialage are stored in the cluster
Old 12-23-02 | 02:59 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

kasper:

that motor you have right now can be built to run strong again. nothing major was broken anyways. if you get another 2jzge motor, it will run about 2500 and up. it will just replace yr old motor, use the same tranny, ecu and other things. its just a complete engine swap. btw, that price does not include "labor"...
Old 12-23-02 | 05:32 PM
kasper634
Rookie

yeah labor is no problem my cousin and brother are both mechanics we will replace the engine. how much would it be to rebuild the engine i think itll be better to get a new engine with about 50k or so maybe a import from japan? i saw a place where you can buy a used car warranty, its 1100 bucks for 2 yrs or 24000 miles it cover the engine and tranny. is it true or is there some kind of catch? i cannot stand this noise and i dont wanna get stuck in the middle of the road with my engine blown.
Old 12-23-02 | 07:25 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

kasper:

well, like i said, if u get another motor, it will costs you around 2000-up. not sure around yr area, but here in calif it runs about that much. up to you, dude.........good luck
Old 12-23-02 | 08:59 PM
GSX-R1000
Driver School Candidate

If you have a knock, It sounds more like a rod bearing to me, Your in this for more than just rings and a valve job. Valves have nothing to do with your problem. Go talk to a mechanic who knows what he's talking about.
Old 12-24-02 | 09:11 AM
kasper634
Rookie

no itzs not just a knock, itas really hard to explain it sounds like something is loose and flopping around or something i dont know maybe ill take a tape recorder put in my engine and then put it on the pc and upload it for you guys to hear, its really weird.
Old 12-24-02 | 04:17 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

sounds more like a "bent" valve.......to me.
nothing serious.......well, cud be serious....there cud be a lot of things involved also. if you did "bent" a valve, then most likely
the ports in that particular cylinder cud also be damaged.
i dont know....just pull the head out and see!!
Old 12-25-02 | 12:59 PM
kasper634
Rookie

no i think ill just buy a new engine... then were gonna play with this one lol.. anyways when i do buy a new engine is itsopposed to come with a certificate or something that the engine is from a diffrent car and has so many miles on it. also how do i know that engine has not been stolen or anythin like that. cuz my causein had to get a new engine in his a4 and he got a little piece of paper with the type of engine, new vin number etc...