GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

ECT POWER MODE Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-07, 12:52 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrooklnLex
I got dusted by a Hyundai yesterday...I was pissed! I floored the gas pedal and tried to hit the ECT Power, but it didnt work out...could I be having a problem with my transmission or something or is the GS just a little slower because it's a bigger car...it took too long (for me) to pick up speed and show ****'s what it's all about! I need to be able to "take out" the next joker that does that!
New Hyundai's can be kinda fast, so be careful. Also, the whole point of having the ECT is so the transmission can kick down, dont punch it then turn it on, turn it on then punch it, it will drop down a gear alot quicker than normal. Thats why it took so long to pick up speed.
Old 05-29-07, 01:02 PM
BrooklnLex
Rookie

Originally Posted by Abear
New Hyundai's can be kinda fast, so be careful. Also, the whole point of having the ECT is so the transmission can kick down, dont punch it then turn it on, turn it on then punch it, it will drop down a gear alot quicker than normal. Thats why it took so long to pick up speed.
I see....I'll be on the look out for little old men in Hyundai's too!

Note to self:turn it on then punch it! DUH!

Thanx man!

...well another thing...I'm confused about the O/D OFF button...I turn it on because it stops my car from "floating"...I dont know the meaning of this higher RPM business...I had everything checked such as alignment, lower ball joints, tires and the only thing that works is if I click the O/D OFF, on?????? to stop that floating/drifting feel...
Old 05-29-07, 02:48 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

The O/D button is kinda like the final gear..same thing as if you ever drove a 6 speed manual, 6th gear is there just for gas mileage, at least in some cars.
In our cars, the O/D gear is pretty useless, if you have a 96+ then O/D kicks in at 120mph if you have full throttle. Ive pegged my car at 120 plenty of times and its scary the first time.
Im not sure if Im explaining this very well, but what Im trying to get at is that with O/D Off..when the light is lit up on the dash, you will be using much more gas. The reason it is there is to cruise, the reason you can control it is just incase you come up on a steep hill or something that way the car doesnt just fly down the hill. As far as what you are feeling when it is on or off..I have no clue. My car just feels normal, like a luxury car should.
Old 05-30-07, 05:07 AM
BrooklnLex
Rookie

Originally Posted by Abear
The O/D button is kinda like the final gear..same thing as if you ever drove a 6 speed manual, 6th gear is there just for gas mileage, at least in some cars.
In our cars, the O/D gear is pretty useless, if you have a 96+ then O/D kicks in at 120mph if you have full throttle. Ive pegged my car at 120 plenty of times and its scary the first time.
Im not sure if Im explaining this very well, but what Im trying to get at is that with O/D Off..when the light is lit up on the dash, you will be using much more gas. The reason it is there is to cruise, the reason you can control it is just incase you come up on a steep hill or something that way the car doesnt just fly down the hill. As far as what you are feeling when it is on or off..I have no clue. My car just feels normal, like a luxury car should.
Your explanation was helpful...I'm going to get down to the bottom of it with this floating problem...
Old 06-01-07, 07:18 PM
lextan
Rookie

time for that tune up kid!!! old threads old whips!!! LONG LIVE THE GS3!!!
Old 06-02-07, 11:44 AM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrooklnLex
I got dusted by a Hyundai yesterday...I was pissed! I floored the gas pedal and tried to hit the ECT Power, but it didnt work out...could I be having a problem with my transmission or something or is the GS just a little slower because it's a bigger car...it took too long (for me) to pick up speed and show ****'s what it's all about! I need to be able to "take out" the next joker that does that!
No it's time for engine swap haha! Just joking man.
Old 06-05-07, 11:16 PM
DBaristo
Driver

If you want a quicker shift try changing out that manky old oil. If your transmission oil hasn't been changed in a long while get the sump off it and clean up the sump strainer/filter. Drain off the oil and refil. Run it a couple of thousand miles and check the colour and consistancy. You'd be surprised the difference it makes.
Old 06-06-07, 01:24 AM
pero
Driver School Candidate

Is it normal that the tranny oil level is above the mark on the stick?
Old 06-06-07, 08:41 AM
DBaristo
Driver

Depends on how you checked it yeah. Theres a correct and a not correct way of checking it.
Old 06-07-07, 04:47 AM
pero
Driver School Candidate

DBaristo and what is the correct way of checking it? I checked it when the car was cold.
Old 06-07-07, 09:53 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

The car should be warm, and on when you check the tranny fluid. I think.
Old 06-10-07, 01:20 PM
DBaristo
Driver

You check it after driving it for at least 10 minutes. You cycle it through the gears (with the parking brake on lol) and place it in nuetral, then check the oil level.