GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Accident in new GS...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-03, 06:00 PM
alexamparo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident in new GS...HELP

I posted a few days ago about the trip I was gonna be making back to school well today I left at about 6 a.m. soooo I was on my way from Providence, RI to Ruston, LA and 104 miles into the trip i was cruising at around 50mph in the left lane in connecticut and I entered a construction zone where the median was like a foot away from the edge of the highway...It had snowed overnight and snow had been plowed onto the edge and I ran my left tires over a puddle of slush....once that happened my rear end swung slightly and then i smashed my front end against the median.....I got out of the car and couldn't believe it......I drove it to a mcdonalds about 1/4 mile away and I thought it was a ****in bad dream I still hadn't awaken from...my second accident in 2 months.....Ive been drivin for 4 years-Rain, snow, sleet, ice and this **** happens to me...I'm not reporting it to the insurance because after my last accident I already pay $9000 of insurance a year! what did I do to deserve this *****....anyways life goes on....I'M TRYING TO GET SOME FRONT END PARTS FOR IT...DRIVER FENDER, HOOD, BUMPER COVER, REBAR, AND A DRIVER FOG LIGHT....ALL ELSE IS GOOD, BAGS DIDN'T EVEN DEPLOY. Why is the GS so easy to lose grip on the rears......I lost traction one night going a steady 65??? the only two accidents i've ever had have both been in a 1995 Lexus GS300....Im starting to wonder? By the way nothing happened to me Just my poor poor freshly painted GS WHY!
Old 01-04-03, 07:05 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

oh man. i'm really sorry to hear that. i kinda know how you feel. i was in 2 car accident about 1 year apart from each other. the first they were both pretty bad. but the first one i felt nothing. then when i got in the 2nd one. it felt like a dream. that really sucks that its the 2nd one for you bro. if you need anything just let us know. i'm also looking for a hood and bumper for a dark grey gs. my girl got into an accident last month. btw how the heck do you pay 9000 a year on insureace?? are you sure its not 900 a year?? even when i first got my driver licence at 16 i was paying around 3000 or so.
Old 01-04-03, 09:23 PM
GSMan300
Rookie

Don't ever go cheap on tires and always replace them when they need to be replaced.

Did you check the air in your tires before you set out on your trip?
Old 01-04-03, 09:32 PM
alexamparo
Pole Position

Jmai22 yup $9000 a year or $750 a month...however you want to put it....my first car a 1994 Camry was broken into...$1800 in damage...My maxima was stolen and stripped...insurance totaled and payed me $14800....My first 1995 GS300 accident two months after the maxima was totaled.....$12000.....So yeah it starts catching up with you...I've just had really bad luck with all these stolen cars and weird accidents...I mean who else just loses control cruising at 50mph. I don't let it bother me though...actually I do just that my father is the type of person that finds a bright side to everything and right when i'm bout ready to start goin crazy he lets me know theres people out there with worse problems. And yeah my tires are pretty much new and the pressure was fine. I should get winter ones though since it is a rear wheel drive car in the snow it needs as much grip as it can get. JMAI have you gotten any quotes from any dealerships on the front end parts?
Old 01-04-03, 10:11 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i'm not even going to think about calling the dealer. the front bumper i most likely will be getting from SOMEONE on CL that has made me a very gernous offer. as for the hood. i found a few junkyard that wants 300 for the hood AND grill.

alex, i'm not trying to say you can' drive or anything but you should really get a front wheel drive car or a awd car to just drive to school and stuff. don't waste you money on cars man. your only in college like myself. just buy a cheap car like a accord or something thats realiable that will take you from point A to point B. 9,000 a year for car insurance is outrageous. sounds like more than half of your accident's are not even your fault. what company are you with??? e-mail me at Jmai22@socal.rr.com and i have some tips to DRAMATICALLY reduce your insurance. then with the money you save from 750 month could be enough to make payments for me to buy a ferrari or soemthing. lol
Old 01-05-03, 03:27 AM
geees300
Driver

Unhappy

alex,
sorry to hear about your mishap it could be worse. check out this url:

http://www.taprecycling.com/inv-lexus/gs300-pre-98.html

godspeed.
geees
Old 01-05-03, 03:51 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all switch insurance companies. You pay $9,000 a year for insurance I pay $8,160 a year for financing my 99GS.
Your insurance company should total the car if the damage exceeds 50% of the value of the car.
How old are you?
I have had three accidents one totalled out and the one that is about to be totalled out (my GS). I have three tickest on my record and I have my insurance in my name at 21. It only cost me $2,200 a year and I think that's to much.
By a hooptie man save that money and by a car cash.
Glad you are okay
Old 01-05-03, 03:12 PM
alexamparo
Pole Position

Yeah Jmai22 gave me some good tips as to saving insurance money...I've only paid the $750 a month once so far but I think they took it up soo high just to try to get me to change companies...its like telling me to get lost! which i am. and definetely.....$750 a month can get me a s500 or something.
Old 01-05-03, 05:43 PM
blue wax
Lead Lap

RWD demands a silk touch on the trottle under certain weather conditions...... and let your TC do some of the job, that's why it's there.

what a pitty it happened again.
the good thing is that you're ok, and that your folks are positive thinking people.

mmmm

yezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 01-06-03, 01:05 AM
alexamparo
Pole Position

blue wax....what exactly do you mean by letting the traction control do its job? what else does it do besides flash a light?
Old 01-06-03, 01:25 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

VSC will save your butt. In a situation where your tires lose traction, the traction control systems takes over and controls your brakes indepently and throttle. It will keep you going straight. If you want to see how it really works find a quiet empty street corner. In the rain or snow go around the corner at 25mph. hit the gas (not stomp) your tail end will come around and your VSC will kick in and correct the direction of your car. I love it in bad weather.
Old 01-06-03, 04:27 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i'm not really sure if this is the TC or not, but this last weekend i was just in the snow. one of my tires would spin only and the other would stay still. while my entire car would not move but my speedo said i was going 40mph. lol
Old 01-06-03, 08:24 AM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

damn pimp, talk about bad luck......sorry to hear about your second accident

if the ground is ever wet or snowed over.......i make sure to leave my traction on......it has saved my **** many times. and actually once i was in sort of the same situation as you, but that was in my LS and i was going a lot faster and the trac kicked in and kept me going straight. my heart was doin' about 500 bpm
Old 01-06-03, 10:40 AM
alexamparo
Pole Position

VSC???????
Old 01-06-03, 11:05 AM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Vehicle Skid Control?

VCS...TRAC....it's all the same

Quick Reply: Accident in new GS...HELP