GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Now the process begins

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-13, 04:24 PM
OGS300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by houndawgbp
no, the previous owner ripped it out and cut into the main harness. im going to run a RCA to another amp and power the sub that way.
I may take out the factory sub and replace it with a new one.
I've ripped my stock amp out piece of junk not needed
Old 10-22-13, 05:52 PM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

General update for everyone.
Wheels are now a dark grey (gunmetal almost)
Ive got a short ram air intake for the car, but it wont idle so its just got a cone filter on the end of the MAF
Ive sourced some suspension components, come tax season im getting stiffer springs, but only dropping it .5 inch
Sourced exhaust, im running hi flow cat, into 2.5" piping, split into Magnaflow street series dual mufflers.
Im receiving seat covers for christmas, so Ill delay getting the Corbeau A4 wide series for now
Sound system is fixed, im installing an amp tomorrow and running a alpine 10" sub with a kicker amp.

I may also look into getting some body work done but want to do an aero kit as well, nothing gawdy just a nice lip kit.
I was going to do the supra TT brake upgrade but i dont have the cash for new wheels yet.
Old 01-13-14, 04:14 AM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Wanted to use my old thread to update.

I went to rewire the stereo. Well I patched everything back in and used a schose (spelling?) wiring adapter. Nothing. I guess since I'm not running the factory amp / cd changer it won't work. Back I go rewiring similar to how they had it. I still can't get the auto antenna to work nor does my HVAC still light up. I'm guessing since illumination isn't needed is what's wrong. All though when I hit unlock my HVAC lights up, so I'm thinking a short somewhere.

Once I find a power tap point in the trunk ill hook up a new amp and run a line out converter to my new amp until I get time to rip it all out and run RCAs and a new power wire.

Nixspeed, what did you tap into for power? I recall you said you used the factory wiring as power. Even though its a smaller gauge it will work for now.
Old 01-13-14, 12:27 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

Only factory wiring I used was from the OE amp to the door speakers. I'm running 1000w total so I needed much larger power wire as well as remote and rca from the new head unit. I also tried to use the adaptor which did not work. Ultimately I just used a volt meter to check for constant, switched and ground then ran everything else. It really is your best bet. The factory sub amp wiring is way too small even for 100w amp. If you use it you'll end up pulling too much current and risk burning your car down. I figured that out the hard way lol. Didn't burn my car down but melted a lot of my carpet in my old car long ago.
Old 01-13-14, 02:02 PM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

I used my VM too so I could get power. I used the stereo write up in the DIY sticky. Its grounded on the frame. Still can't get the antenna to work or the HVAC lights lol. But the climate control lights work hitting the unlock button so prob a short.

Time to break out the diamond tipped drill bit to run power wire lol ill prob run a line out converter until I have time to run RCA cable.

Alpine speakers coming soon and a 4 channel amp.
Old 01-13-14, 04:37 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

Antenna won't work. Its got an ecu that Controls height of the mast based on radio station. Best option is to find a regular style motor that will bolt in.
Old 01-14-14, 09:17 AM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

I would like to get an antenna like my cressida had. It would completely hide when retracted, and was powered by only a few wires :-/
Old 01-14-14, 09:28 AM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

It may bolt in with minor adjustments to the mount.
Old 01-14-14, 09:45 AM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Well the ones you can order are similar. I'm going to get a good look at mine one day. Got a lot to do on this thing.
Old 01-20-14, 04:21 AM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Can I get y'all help. I need to find stock Mk IV turbo wheels, the 17's. EBay is to expensive and so is Amazon. If anyone knows of any on Craig's list in your area shoot me a reply on here. I had procured a set here but someone went under me and beat me to it.
Old 01-21-14, 08:01 AM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Score. Hopefully got 2 of the 17 × 8 for free! Just need two more.
Old 03-24-14, 06:39 AM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Just finished wrapping my interior bits. Next time I need to do a base coat of black prior to installation.

Now the process begins-forumrunner_20140324_093849.png

As you see I'm not a professional lol first time dealing with this. Not to bad.
Old 05-18-14, 11:17 PM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

I've decided to do basic upkeep of the engine and I'm getting body shop quotes soon. My passenger side quarter panel is getting horrible so I'm going to have to invest about 3000 for a good paint job and body work.
Old 05-19-14, 08:01 AM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a link to the headlight sanding process(see post #1) and most importantly, the UV coating process so that you will never have to sand/polish the lights again.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...lant-idea.html

I did not do this sanding method, I used the 3m kit from the auto parts store. I worked great when I did this 6 months ago, but now I will have to do it again because I did not put on a UV protective coat at the end. I will use the same kit, but this time follow these instructions for creating the perfect UV protection seal.

Also I read that you are looking at a paint job. Have you thought of doing the body work(sanding, primer, and light smoothing sand) yourself? It may save you half the price and you can walk away knowing that you did a good job on the most important part of a paint job... the base. Youtube this stuff and you will see.

Hope this helps

Last edited by kene; 05-19-14 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-19-14, 10:02 AM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The carbon fiber wrap looks good. How is it holding up after the first few months?

Quick Reply: Now the process begins