"Braking" question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-03, 08:34 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Braking" question

Hi guys,

I replaced my brakes about 2 months ago and did not hear anymore squeeks. Until last week I started hearing it again and decided to see my mechanic. He took out my rear rotors and resurfaced it. The squeeking has gone down tremendously and I am happy.
However I still hear a lil bit of sqeeking sounds. My mechanic says I should change the way I break. In that I usually brake a little bit and then release the brake and then step a little more to a slowing stop. He recommends me just stepping on it and not depressing until it stops. WHat do you guys think? The sqeeking sounds are pissing me off because this car aint cheap and shouldn't be doing this... P.S I also posted this in another forum for more responses.
thanks
Bryan
Old 02-09-03, 08:46 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i have the exact same problem under 30 mph it would squeek. like a contant whistly like squeek. but over 40 its fine. also when i actually press the brakes it makes no noise. only when i drive under 30 without pressing the breaks. i find that break dust build up causes most of the squeeking.

btw what kind of pads are you using? i'm using the ones they sell at kragens.
Old 02-09-03, 09:11 PM
Wald GS

Sup John,

My mechanic went to Longo Lexus parts department to buy the OEM lexus brakes. How much were your breaks at kragen?
Bryan
Old 02-09-03, 09:20 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i forgot. i think i paid around 70 or so for front and rear.
Old 02-09-03, 09:26 PM
Wald GS

My rear brakes cost me 57.00. Thats cost at longo lexus...
Bryan
Old 02-10-03, 06:38 PM
C to the O
Pole Position

Question

jmai.. i remember you mentioning this in a thread before. has anybody thought of a solution to this problem? this happens to me all the time... i don't mind it right now, but it's pretty embarassing in the summertime...
Old 02-10-03, 09:42 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

a few member suggested that i go buy this gel at the counter of auto part store and put that gel between the shim and the pad. haven't tried it yet. anyone else have?
Old 02-10-03, 10:42 PM
Wald GS

A friend of mine told me that if I used carbon brake pads, there would be no noise. The fact that I used semi-metallic is the main problem....
Bryan
Old 02-11-03, 10:54 AM
alexamparo
Pole Position

I was told by someone I consider very trustworthy in stuff like this that the rotors on our cars should not be cut.....that it will just re occur in a short time....which seems to be what is happening to you guys. I replaced all my rotors and all my pads when I bought the car. I got them at wholesale and paid $30 for bendix import quiet front pads, 27.99 for bendix rear pads, $91 bucks for each of the Brembo rear rotors(they were out of Bendix but Brembo is just as good) and $120 for the front Bendix rotors. I just figured I would do it all at once and get my brakes outta my mind for a while.....I took advantage that I had the cash cause if I wouldn't have done it then I would have spent it on something else which would probably turn out to be much less important thna brakes. anyway....just my 2cents
Old 02-13-03, 01:04 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by DTPstyle
A friend of mine told me that if I used carbon brake pads, there would be no noise. The fact that I used semi-metallic is the main problem....
Bryan
Yeah,,, that is exactly your problem if you use semi-metallic your brakes will definitely squeak!! You must ask for "Organic Pads." You don't necessarily need to go to the dealer, they cost too much. You can go to somewhere like NAPA and purchase a set of their "Organic Pads" .

Also, whenever you turn the rotors you need to replace the pads as well, even if they are not completely worn. Because if your brakes are squeaking because of the glassy appearance/effect on your rotors that same glassy effect is found on the pads so they will still squeak.

Buy the organic pads, if you havent driven much you may not need to turn your rotors again (here i can get them turn for $5 per rotor)..You can only turn them a few times before you fall below your min. thickness of the rotor.
Old 02-13-03, 11:24 AM
Wald GS

Hey 007,

Do you know how much shorter the life spans are of a organic brake pad compared to a semi metallic? I am guessing 5,000 miles.
Old 02-14-03, 01:47 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well no, i don't actually know the life span comparison. And i have never tracked mine, just replace them when i need them. However, the semi-metallic are going to squeak. So you can squeak for say 20,000 miles or ride smooth for 15,000miles.
Old 02-15-03, 08:09 AM
Sovero1
Pole Position

Originally posted by alexamparo
I was told by someone I consider very trustworthy in stuff like this that the rotors on our cars should not be cut.....that it will just re occur in a short time....which seems to be what is happening to you guys. I replaced all my rotors and all my pads when I bought the car. I got them at wholesale and paid $30 for bendix import quiet front pads, 27.99 for bendix rear pads, $91 bucks for each of the Brembo rear rotors(they were out of Bendix but Brembo is just as good) and $120 for the front Bendix rotors. I just figured I would do it all at once and get my brakes outta my mind for a while.....I took advantage that I had the cash cause if I wouldn't have done it then I would have spent it on something else which would probably turn out to be much less important thna brakes. anyway....just my 2cents
Alex,

Do your new brakes perform better than the originals (stupid question, but I have to ask)? Do you ever hear any squeaking? Are the new rotors slotted, drilled or dimpled?

Last edited by Sovero1; 02-15-03 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-15-03, 12:36 PM
alexamparo
Pole Position

Originally posted by Sovero1
Alex,

Do your new brakes perform better than the originals (stupid question, but I have to ask)? Do you ever hear any squeaking? Are the new rotors slotted, drilled or dimpled?
I don't really notice any improvement over stock besides the fact that these are brand new rotors and the others had 90000 miles on them. They are very quiet as i would expect from top names and especially from a product called "import quiets." And they are regular rotors...not slotted drilled or dimpled.
Old 02-15-03, 02:20 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by alexamparo
alex, where did you order all your stuff from?? i need some new brakes man. mine are pissing me off. its embarrassin on hot days. also did you ever get your headlights?

Quick Reply: "Braking" question