GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

A bad belt!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-03, 07:49 AM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A bad belt!

I think my belt just went, if we only have one??? a loud clunking goofy sounding noise is coming from my engine compart ment when I pulled up to work this morning. I popped the hood and seen a small peice of rubber but don't see the belt being completely trashed, but the noise is rediculous, I have been noticing some squeaking and should have got it changed. I need to take it somewhere, I just don't want to end up bringin it to the dealer, they will start adding up crazy maintenance I need with rediculous prices. How much should it cost me?
Old 02-17-03, 09:31 AM
Sovero1
Pole Position

Ok, if your drive/accessory belt got torn or came off, you would barely be able to turn the steering wheel. That belt controls power steering, fans, a/c, heating, among other things (and then you would not hear any noise, as you'd be missing the belt to generate it )
Old 02-17-03, 11:18 AM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Default Well it busted

I was going to have it looked at, either have an oil change place change it or end up at the Lexus dealer down the street from my work and in the parking lot of the oil change place the belt busted, and they didn't end up wanting to do it, good thing there was some import mechanic right next door. I pulled it in there with no power steering, and he said the belt tensioner was locked up. So the only place that had the tensioner was Lexus like close to $300 and they wanted like $90 for the belt, rediculous .. lots of money for simple **** but at least I wasn't on the expressway, thank god.
Old 02-17-03, 11:22 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

time to go racing with those extra HP. lol
Old 02-17-03, 02:23 PM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Default Got it back already

Just went to pick it up, they fixed it already. I called lexus and they gave me the same prices. I checked around at some other stores, no one can get the belt tensioner. $442 considering the parts were $370, the shop did not rip me off at all, he had my car done in 2 hours while I am at work, still alot of moneywant to do I know the stuff I need done is pretty much wear related it is gonna kill me, maybe I will just go by a new one, ahahaha, ahhhhhhhh I like it to much.
Old 02-17-03, 02:25 PM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Default Got it back already

Just went to pick it up, they fixed it already. I called lexus and they gave me the same prices. I checked around at some other stores, no one can get the belt tensioner. $442 considering the parts were $370, the shop did not rip me off at all, he had my car done in 2 hours while I am at work, still alot of money, I know the stuff I need done is pretty much wear related but it is gonna kill me, maybe I will just go by a new one, ahahaha, ahhhhhhhh I like it to much.
Old 02-18-03, 12:50 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking about the drive belt tensioner? If so that price is way high i replaced mine before because the bearings in the tensioner went bad made squeaking noise at first like you said then eventually the belt broke.

I can't remember what i paid for the part but it was cheap under $100 seemed like $50 or something plus i purchased a new belt for around $20-$30... these were dealer parts that were ordered.

I did the repair myself... REAL EASY.. only took around 30mins. I wish i could tell you the exact prices but this was about 2.5 years ago. But my prices were NOTHING like what you paid. Maybe i got an unbeatable deal. It has happened before. My dealer constantly updates its prices and once i purchased a $450 part for $50 due to a computer error which i found out later. Or maybe you got ripped off!!! Check some dealers in another area and/or call NAPA for a price check on the part. Labor should have been no more than $50 since it takes way less than an hour to install.
Old 02-18-03, 06:57 AM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Default Parts

I got ripped on the parts but not on the labor, but no one else in the area had the belt tensioner that I could find. It sucks cause I was stuck 30 miles from home at work, so there was nada thing I could really do, maybe napa is cheap if they have it, I know the belt could have been bought cheaper but I didn't have alot of choices. Oh well I got it fixed what can I do........
Old 03-01-03, 02:54 AM
Rover
Pole Position

I'm about to do my serpentine belt too. It's crazy how much these things are: $240 for the tensioner, $90 for the belt, and around $190 for the labour. Ubelievable. I feel your pain, CHMPNGS. But like you said, we don't really have a choice in this matter. A Lexus has got to run and drive like a Lexus. Thanks for the info, bro.