GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Really need some help (Gauge LED change)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-14, 04:42 PM
ComponY
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Really need some help (Gauge LED change)

I bought some LED's online, and when opening my gauge, I found something and I'm not sure what to do!

As you can see below: The default gauge lights have huge backs that hold the bulb. Then screw into the gauge panel. The one's I got, don't have those.

Will the LED's I got work, and if so, how do I get the bulbs out of the backs that I have now?
Attached Thumbnails Really need some help (Gauge LED change)-photo-1-7-.jpg   Really need some help (Gauge LED change)-photo-2-9-.jpg  
Old 07-19-14, 07:56 PM
ClarkKent
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I THINK those just unscrew and the new bulbs just slide down into the carriage for the bulbs.
Old 07-19-14, 09:20 PM
ComponY
Driver

Originally Posted by ClarkKent
I THINK those just unscrew and the new bulbs just slide down into the carriage for the bulbs.
I spent around 3 hours putting the new LED's in. Before your post, I figured out the other bulbs came out. It took lots of effort and force to get them out though lol.

Then I couldn't tell if the bulbs were bad, or if I put them in backwards.... So I unplugged it and plugged it back in so many times...

Anyway, I have all the LED's in my car, but two of them aren't working. I ended up just putting everything back cause I was getting sick of it, and I'll just have to tell the person I bought them from that some aren't working!

Does anyone know where to get the pins for the gas,speed, rpm etc?

Last edited by ComponY; 07-19-14 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-19-14, 10:11 PM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give me time to get home bro. I work night shift. I'll help you out. Until then use the sticky thread.

Im unsure what you're asking
Old 07-19-14, 10:34 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts

Your right that the LEDS can be installed backwards, so you have to be able to put them in, find out which lights dont illuminate and then pull it back out and repeat. If two arent working, check that you installed them into the holders correctly and whether new LED's work in their spot (maybe you did get some bad ones).

The needles for the gas, speed, rpm etc can be fixed up. Here's a DIY from a gs400 member on lextreme.

Old 07-20-14, 01:15 AM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Ok bro here we go
First off, did you read through the other thread started by Deknick? (may have spelled that wrong lol)

If so, since you figured out the bulbs remove out of the housing, we done solved that one

If two of them arent lighting, then it may have been put in backwards, just spin it. no need to remove the whole bulb, just spin the housing, bulb and all 180 *

If they are still not working, then they are bad bulbs. Like I had told you in my thread, ive had the blue bulbs less than a month and 4 are already out. Must be cheap bulbs. Thats why Im endeavoring on my project of installing a LED strand system that has changeable colors.

To find needles, eBay may be your best option. BUT make sure its a reputable seller that souly sells them. I would say junk yard but.... you cant be sure if they light up either.
Old 07-20-14, 09:32 AM
ComponY
Driver

Originally Posted by houndawgbp
Ok bro here we go
First off, did you read through the other thread started by Deknick? (may have spelled that wrong lol)

If so, since you figured out the bulbs remove out of the housing, we done solved that one

If two of them arent lighting, then it may have been put in backwards, just spin it. no need to remove the whole bulb, just spin the housing, bulb and all 180 *

If they are still not working, then they are bad bulbs. Like I had told you in my thread, ive had the blue bulbs less than a month and 4 are already out. Must be cheap bulbs. Thats why Im endeavoring on my project of installing a LED strand system that has changeable colors.

To find needles, eBay may be your best option. BUT make sure its a reputable seller that souly sells them. I would say junk yard but.... you cant be sure if they light up either.

Alright, so I figured out own my own that I just turn the housing. So I was doing that last night, and got all except for 2 working. One worked when I turned my key in the ignition, and then stopped working 2 minutes later. The other one just didn't work at all (even tried different bulbs).

I think that it's actually the housing that's not working though. So I'm not really sure I contacted the guy I bought the bulbs for requesting more.

Thank you for the help!
Old 07-20-14, 11:27 AM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

You're welcome bro. I've contacted probably the same people to no avail. Thats why I'm starting on my project once I get the money and time. I think it's low quality product.
Old 07-21-14, 07:07 PM
djspock303
Driver

PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN! lol also please post cost and how much etc etc for the rest of us
Old 07-21-14, 10:21 PM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by djspock303
PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN! lol also please post cost and how much etc etc for the rest of us
What do you mean?
Old 07-22-14, 06:45 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

Make sure the 2 wire leads on the bulb itself are in line and not crooked etc. Also make sure they didn't break off. After flipping and checking the wire leads if they still don't work they are bad.
Old 07-22-14, 08:31 PM
ComponY
Driver

Originally Posted by Nixspeed
Make sure the 2 wire leads on the bulb itself are in line and not crooked etc. Also make sure they didn't break off. After flipping and checking the wire leads if they still don't work they are bad.
It's the two silver metal pieces on the bottom of the bulb, correct? I contacted the guy I got them from, and asked for new bulbs. As I spent hours trying new bulbs, turning them, and two didn't work.

The other one worked for 5 minutes, then boom... Stopped.

Last edited by ComponY; 07-22-14 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-22-14, 10:48 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

Yeah those are the right pieces. If those are good and the bulb worked for a bit then stopped it's a bad bulb.