GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

E.G.R. Valve.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-03, 07:01 AM
Rover
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E.G.R. Valve.

Ladies and Gentlemen, got a question for all of you First Gen. heads out there.

My E.G.R. Valve needs to be cleaned. I've got my TracOFF light on and the Eng.Check light on. I went to the dealer and they plugged in the computer and told me that E.G.R. valve needs to be cleaned.

Now, they made it sound like I have to clean the valve right away. But I am kind of low on funds right now. So I don't think it is all that important to clean the valve right away. I mean it only matters if I was going for an inspection of the vehicle. With the E.G.R. Valve being clogged up, I would flunk the emissions and that's about it. I do not think it is harmful to drive like that for a couple of months. Or am I wrong? Could the clogged up E.G.R. Valve cause some sort of a malfunction that I don't know about?

Thanks a lot to all of you in advance.
Old 02-26-03, 09:23 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

You're right, it won't hurt you engine. You will only flunk a smog-check. A mechanic told me that my egr was clogged and was going to charge me $200 to clean it. I took it home, took off the valve, and cleaned it with carburetor cleaner. Then I reset the computer and the check engine light never came back on.
Old 02-26-03, 09:28 AM
Rover
Pole Position

Default Wow.

Eric,
You did it yourself. Wow. I thought the location of the E.G.R. valve was underneath the engine block and it was really hard to get to. Can you enlighten me a bit on how you took it off and where exactly it's located.
Thanks.
Old 02-26-03, 04:36 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

It is attached to the intake manifold, right after the throttle body. It is hard to explain, so I hope someone has pictures to illustrate. After you figure out where it is, you have to unbolt it from the intake (two bolts, you need a new gasket too) and then underneath the valve you have to unbolt it from the pipe (you need a pretty big wrench.) The just clean it out by spraying carburator cleaner inside a few times. If the residue (black stuff) is thick, you should gently scrape it away with a screwdriver.

Does anyone have a picture to help out Rover?
Old 03-01-03, 12:05 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

did you guys get a code 71 for the EGR valve check engine lite?

and yeah, a picture of what the egr valve looks like would be great, cuz i need to clean that for my uncle's first gen gs3.
Old 03-01-03, 12:55 AM
Rover
Pole Position

Default E.G.R. Valve

93LexoGS300,
You are the man, bro. I've got it done. Thanks a lot for the explanation, dude. I love it, when my baby GS is in perfect shape.

GSquicksilver,
I don't know the code number, bro. I took it to the dealership for the CheckEng. light and the TracOFF light. And they told me I needed to get it cleaned, I should've asked them for the code number, but I did not. Sorry, bro.

Last edited by Rover; 03-01-03 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-01-03, 02:06 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Default Re: E.G.R. Valve

Originally posted by Rover
93LexoGS300,
You are the man, bro. I've got it done. Thanks a lot for the explanation, dude. I love it, when my baby GS is in perfect shape.
You're welcome! Now you have a couple extra bucks in your pocket and some experience under your belt!
Old 03-06-03, 12:24 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to do that when I replaced the spark plugs but my friend and I gave up because we couldn't see that damn bolt underneath. Thanks for the info now I know for next time. We looked into it and it was really filthy, though. Now I won't be surprised if that warning light comes on for me sometime.