GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Questions about Supra TT calipers and 1st gen GS

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-03, 08:55 PM
Mischievious GS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Questions about Supra TT calipers and 1st gen GS

i've read somewhere that you can upgrade your stock calipers with the Supra TT ones. If thats the case, is it only for the 2nd gen GS's or are the brake systems in both cars similar? also, is it a direct swap with little or no modifications, or is it going to be a big job? if any of you have done an upgrade like this, can you please provide me with some insight as to the problems i would run into, the components i would need, and a ball park figure i'd be looking at? i found some TT calipers for about $250 for both, but thats just the calipers...i don't know what else i would need to change on my 1st gen to make this upgrade work.
Old 03-03-03, 01:31 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i believe its a direct bolt on. just disconect old breaks and connect new breaks. i'm not sure what other things you need but thats the process i assume. also you will need to upgrade your rotors also.

one last thing. there also needs to be enough clearance between your rims.
Old 03-03-03, 12:38 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when upgrading to supra tt brakes, make sure you're running 17inch or bigger wheels for the supra calipers to clear cuz otherwize it wont work. i ws quoted long time ago that the whole kit will run about
$900 which includes rotors/calipers/pads/brake lines......but of course, not labor!
Old 03-26-03, 02:06 PM
noushy
Driver School Candidate

Default Supra Brakes

Hello,
Not sure if this helps since I have a GS400, but the supra brakes bolt directly to the GS. They are the same hub/spindle setup (supra tt and gs) and mount to the same brackets. You have to order the calipers, rotors, pads and clips. You can use the stock lines or replace them (I did with the RMM lines). Since they are 4 piston calipers, they will not clear (offset) the 17 inch wheels without a spacer (also can be ordered from RMM) with longer studs. They work beautifully and are much more effective. Can also find many aftermarket rotors (include two piece JDM parts). I have the frozenrotors which are also slotted. My HRE 18 inch wheels clear the calipers fine. You can also use the RMM brake kit with the spacers as well, but I had too many problems with their front rotors. I purchased both calipers, stock rotors, pads and clips through my friends toyota dealership (dealer cost is around $550 with tax). The dealers selling them for 900-1000 are really making a profit.

K .Khaghany MD
Old 03-28-03, 12:02 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

noushy, your car sounds sweet, man. Nice mods.

Too bad it's not a 1st gen
Old 03-29-03, 07:36 AM
noushy
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake Upgrades

Thanks for the kind words. I will post a picture this week when I get out of the office (patients come first). On a side note, I have the RMM calipers which are in perfect condition, (you may want to obtain new pads) if any person is interested, I will give them up cheap. The calipers are virtually identical to the supra tt calipers and they are a direct bolt on. If they fit, you can obtain pads and rotors from RMM. I have a set of rotors to test, but they build up surface defects quickly. In addition, michigan's crummy weather (hot, cold, rain, snow) does not help them either.

K . Khaghany MD