GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Update to my brakes and there squeaks. LONG STORY...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-03, 09:35 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update to my brakes and their squeaks. LONG STORY...

Hi guys,

Tomorrow will be the day my mechanic gets everything ready to go and will change my front rotors and brakes. Basically I went and saw him today and I will tell you guys why my brakes were squeaking from the very beginning when I first posted regarding squeak problems.

When I purchased my car, the owner told me that the front breaks were recently changed and the rear have not been. After I purchased the car, I had my mechanic do a Major tune-up, changing everything you could possibly think of that needed it (ie. belt, water pump, oil..)

He checked my brakes and said that the front was fine and the rear brakes needed to be replaced. He tells me to go back tomorrow and that he would have my OEM lexus brakes from Longo lexus. I go back and he replaces the brakes.

A few days later, I start hearing squeaking sounds and I'm mad, but then again I have been told that new breaks need to be broken in. Also that if there is any break dust, it would squeak. These OEM's were organic and not semi-metallic as I originally stated.

After 2 weeks I called him and told him I still heard the squeaking noises and he said that to see him and he would check them out again. He recommended that I had the rotors resurfaced and so he had my rear rotors resurfaced. Stupid me, It was actually the front that was squeaking and I don't have a clue as why i kept thinking it was the rear.

He had the rear resurfaced and I felt good about it. I go home and a few days later I hear squeaks again. Now I am really pissed off because this squeaking is not supposed to occur as everything to my knowledge is perfect. These squeaks are coming from the FRONT .So I call about 3 weeks later and tell him, Im ready to change my brake pads to whatever does not squeak.

I went today and as I pulled in he heard the squeaks and he said they were from the front, definitely. He looked at my brakes and said that they are way too harsh, made with too much metallic. One of the rotors needed to be resurfaced and that he would take them both to be resurfaced. He left and 10 min later called me and said that the rotors cannot be resurfaced anymore as they are under the minimum. He purchased some normal rotors for me.

The brakes he said that were really good were not available at autozone so he has to go to Longo tomorrow and purchase some OEM lexus brakes for me. BTW the brakes I had in the front were a red color on the back and LOL it even had that anti squeak pasted on the pad. Looks like the squeak paste didn't work at all.

So basically I will have new rotors in the front and new brake pads as well tomorrow. Also he said that FRONT Brakes are only made of SEMI METALLIC.. Can anyone verify this? He said that mainly because our brakes are used about 70% of the time compared to the back. Thanks for reading my long story.

Last edited by Wald GS; 03-02-03 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-03-03, 01:35 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Update to my brakes and their squeaks. LONG STORY...

Originally posted by DTPstyle
Hi guys,

Tomorrow will be the day my mechanic gets everything ready to go and will change my front rotors and brakes. Basically I went and saw him today and I will tell you guys why my brakes were squeaking from the very beginning when I first posted regarding squeak problems.

When I purchased my car, the owner told me that the front breaks were recently changed and the rear have not been. After I purchased the car, I had my mechanic do a Major tune-up, changing everything you could possibly think of that needed it (ie. belt, water pump, oil..)

He checked my brakes and said that the front was fine and the rear brakes needed to be replaced. He tells me to go back tomorrow and that he would have my OEM lexus brakes from Longo lexus. I go back and he replaces the brakes.

A few days later, I start hearing squeaking sounds and I'm mad, but then again I have been told that new breaks need to be broken in. Also that if there is any break dust, it would squeak. These OEM's were organic and not semi-metallic as I originally stated.

After 2 weeks I called him and told him I still heard the squeaking noises and he said that to see him and he would check them out again. He recommended that I had the rotors resurfaced and so he had my rear rotors resurfaced. Stupid me, It was actually the front that was squeaking and I don't have a clue as why i kept thinking it was the rear.

He had the rear resurfaced and I felt good about it. I go home and a few days later I hear squeaks again. Now I am really pissed off because this squeaking is not supposed to occur as everything to my knowledge is perfect. These squeaks are coming from the FRONT .So I call about 3 weeks later and tell him, Im ready to change my brake pads to whatever does not squeak.

I went today and as I pulled in he heard the squeaks and he said they were from the front, definitely. He looked at my brakes and said that they are way too harsh, made with too much metallic. One of the rotors needed to be resurfaced and that he would take them both to be resurfaced. He left and 10 min later called me and said that the rotors cannot be resurfaced anymore as they are under the minimum. He purchased some normal rotors for me.

The brakes he said that were really good were not available at autozone so he has to go to Longo tomorrow and purchase some OEM lexus brakes for me. BTW the brakes I had in the front were a red color on the back and LOL it even had that anti squeak pasted on the pad. Looks like the squeak paste didn't work at all.

So basically I will have new rotors in the front and new brake pads as well tomorrow. Also he said that FRONT Brakes are only made of SEMI METALLIC.. Can anyone verify this? He said that mainly because our brakes are used about 70% of the time compared to the back. Thanks for reading my long story.
good write up. i hope this fixes your problem because right now i'm using the red break pads too and i'm getting the squeeks. its funny because i get the squeeks if i go below 30 mph when NOT applying the breaks. but over 40 its fine. also i get no squeeks if i press it lightly but if i push harder it squeeks. kinda confusing but its annoying. if this fixes your problem i'm going to replace my front pads to OEM. also who's your mechanic, maybe he can take a look at mine since he is familar with our cars
Old 03-03-03, 10:21 PM
Wald GS

Hey John and everyone else who has been reading this post,

Thanks for the nice comments on my write up, John!
I am very happy now! After my brakes were replaced, no more squeaks. I tested it and yep, no squeaks. It is definitely the OEM brakes. Even the Longo Lexus guy said the breaks they sell are not semi-metallic. He was wrong cause it is semi-metallic, but very little Metallic. My mechanic could clearly see the metallic pieces. OH yeah, while I went to Longo, I asked how much a brake job would cost and there response was 180 for each side.

Thats basically 360 for the front. ouch... Rotors are 175.00 each..... You get my drift. John, please PM me and I will answer any questions you have regarding my mechanic...
Old 03-03-03, 11:00 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

so when i go buy break pads i should make sure they are not metalic right?? like i said before a 40,000 thosand dollar car should not squeeke when we break. (this car was 40,000-50,000 when it first came out)
Old 03-03-03, 11:55 PM
Wald GS

Hey John,

As far as the front is concerned, our cars use up about 70% of the pads in the front when we brake. To my knowledge the OEM brakes are the best ( little bit of metallic), unless you would want to resort to the EBC's. Please Note that the "red brakes" you have on your car right now are WAY toooo harsh, thats why it squeaks. Another thing could be your rotor is wearing out as a result of he harsh red autozone brakes.
Old 03-04-03, 01:08 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

great advice here guys. I think everyone out there with a first gen uses these red pads. I know of 4/4 first gen owners that use this red pads. This some good info. i don't wanna be messing up my rotors.
Old 03-04-03, 03:14 PM
Wald GS

Thanks John! If you guys hear squeaks, it is either the brand of brakes your using or the fact that your Rotor is wearing out. Believe me I have been very **** when my car squeaked in the past!!!!!