GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

What effect do u guys think my 19's have on the Gas Mileage of my 1st Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-03, 11:43 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What effect do u guys think my 19's have on the Gas Mileage of my 1st Gen?

I messed up the title in my other thread...

Hi Guys,

As gas prices go up here in So. Cal, it seems as though Im getting lesser and lesser MPG. Im only getting about 15-16 MPG in the city and about 18-19 on the freeway. Maybe my 19's require more torque and gas which is resulting in my loss of MPG.

Funny thing is that I have a consumer report cd from 97 and it says for a stock 94 gs 300, it should get 19 MPG in the city and 28 in the highway. I think there was an error on there part? Does anyone know what we are supposed to get on a stock car for MPG in the City and Highway? Let me know what you guys think.... thx
Old 03-05-03, 01:26 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i personally don't think your rims will make a drastic difference in your mpg. On the high side lets say your rims weigh 20lbs more than your stock wheels and tires per wheel for a total of 80lbs. That would be less weight than your average passenger. If you want to conduct your own personal study you could if you still have them put on your stock wheels drive and record mileage on a tank of gas and do the same with the 19's then compare.

As far as the consumer report... its wrong. 28mpg highway is high even for most new lexus models your car is more in the neighborhood of 18/24. My here my evidence of a comparable model www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/gs300_97.html

Old 03-05-03, 07:27 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More rotational mass will decrease your MPG, simple as that.
Old 03-05-03, 11:05 AM
Wald GS

Hey guys,

Thanks for your repsponses. I guess my MPG in the city is around that area with my rims. I may be getting around 20-21 in the highway. It seems right to me. Thanks
Old 03-05-03, 08:33 PM
alexamparo
Pole Position

Originally posted by 007
i personally don't think your rims will make a drastic difference in your mpg. On the high side lets say your rims weigh 20lbs more than your stock wheels and tires per wheel for a total of 80lbs. That would be less weight than your average passenger. If you want to conduct your own personal study you could if you still have them put on your stock wheels drive and record mileage on a tank of gas and do the same with the 19's then compare.

As far as the consumer report... its wrong. 28mpg highway is high even for most new lexus models your car is more in the neighborhood of 18/24. My here my evidence of a comparable model www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/gs300_97.html

your comparison about the average passenger thing and the rim weight is totally inaccurate....more centrifugal mass will create a lag on the car thus requiring more power=more gas......the difference between a car hauling a passenger like you said and a heavy wheel is more closely related to the difference between what you can carry on your body and what your feet can drag.....just my 2cents
Old 03-05-03, 09:20 PM
Lead Lap

Originally posted by alexamparo
your comparison about the average passenger thing and the rim weight is totally inaccurate....more centrifugal mass will create a lag on the car thus requiring more power=more gas......the difference between a car hauling a passenger like you said and a heavy wheel is more closely related to the difference between what you can carry on your body and what your feet can drag.....just my 2cents
That's all it is.... "2 cents"

If i am wrong in my example then so be it. That's why i attached concrete info from lexus to back up my reply. Since DTPstyle mentioned mpg stated by consumer reports i deemed it relevant.

Also, i stated that "I personally dont think" this is opinion not fact. "Wouldn't make a drastic difference" Alludes to the fact that a difference will be made but not a truly significant one for someone who has the ability to afford a Lexus and 19 inch rims.

Instead of looking for the bad in a post look for the good.
Old 03-05-03, 10:38 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Heavier rims affect acceleration because the increased weight requires more force to accelerate from a stop. But this is negligible, maybe a 10th difference.

The biggest factor is the overall diameter of the rim/tire package. A larger diameter wheel package negatively affect acceleration because the larger diameter is like having a higher gear ratio, while lowering engine speed at freeway speeds. So, if you have larger rims and drive in traffic, your mpg should go down. If most of your time is spent on the freeway, the mpg should go up. A smaller diamger package has the opposite effect.
Old 03-06-03, 12:31 AM
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 93LexoGS300
Heavier rims affect acceleration because the increased weight requires more force to accelerate from a stop. But this is negligible, maybe a 10th difference.

The biggest factor is the overall diameter of the rim/tire package. A larger diameter wheel package negatively affect acceleration because the larger diameter is like having a higher gear ratio, while lowering engine speed at freeway speeds. So, if you have larger rims and drive in traffic, your mpg should go down. If most of your time is spent on the freeway, the mpg should go up. A smaller diamger package has the opposite effect.
Thanks Eric, very intelligent explanation

Last edited by 007; 03-06-03 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-06-03, 12:52 AM
Wald GS

thanks guys!
Old 03-06-03, 07:20 PM
alexamparo
Pole Position

Originally posted by 007
That's all it is.... "2 cents"

If i am wrong in my example then so be it. That's why i attached concrete info from lexus to back up my reply. Since DTPstyle mentioned mpg stated by consumer reports i deemed it relevant.

Also, i stated that "I personally dont think" this is opinion not fact. "Wouldn't make a drastic difference" Alludes to the fact that a difference will be made but not a truly significant one for someone who has the ability to afford a Lexus and 19 inch rims.

Instead of looking for the bad in a post look for the good.
Calm down homie.... Sorry I offended you! just pointing out my opinion...which by the way is worth less than two cents cause everyones opinion is $h!+
Old 03-07-03, 01:53 PM
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

No problem man.... It's all good