GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

What are the most expensive possible problems...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-03 | 08:18 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Default What are the most expensive possible problems...

I have a friend looking to buy an early to mid 90's GS. I told him I'd find out what the most serious problems could be via these forums. So what shall I tell him? What are a few of the things you really don't want to see happen. Of course, the obvious things like engine and transmission are worries for any car. But on a Lincoln, you worry about those airbags for the suspension going. On a Cadillac, you worry about the computerized suspension ($1000.00 per shock)..

Thank you...
Old 03-06-03 | 10:19 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

From what I have seen in the posts. I would have to say the Hood /Trunk hydraulic lifts. My hood is perfect right now and as far as my trunk is concerned, the lift is basically gone. I am now lifting the weight of the trunk to open it.
Old 03-06-03 | 10:28 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DTPstyle
From what I have seen in the posts. I would have to say the Hood /Trunk hydraulic lifts. My hood is perfect right now and as far as my trunk is concerned, the lift is basically gone. I am now lifting the weight of the trunk to open it.
Bryan, DOn't scare him like that man. you make it sound soo bad. lol. but seriously though. this is probly the worst thing i can think of on this car. is that the hood doesn't hold up. and the trunk is kinda heavy. they are shocks hood and trunk support so they lose pressure after a while.

So whats up with this sat man?? could you get out a few hours early.?? i'm in yo.
Old 03-06-03 | 11:26 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Yo John,

I'm in and im pumped to meet you and Pat!! I posted a follow up in the other post so read it....
Old 03-07-03 | 01:01 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

You know what? I have always though, damn they should put some sort of damper on this trunk! Well i guess i know why mine is so heavy, the dampers gone!!

Seriously, if your friend is looking at a higher mileage car, I think he should me most concerned with the secondary systems, such as the electroluminescent gauges, the amplifier and stereo system, etc. As far as the hardware goes, its a Toyota, so its a tank!!! I have heard stories of guys PURCHASING first gens with 150k plus. I think there is one thing to remember when purchasing a 8-10 yr old car with higher mileage-YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE SOME PROBLEMS. Just think of it like this, if you purchased a car in Jan of 1993, by 2003, you would expect to replace some core pieces-alternator, starter, etc!!

Good luck with the purchase!
Old 03-07-03 | 01:49 PM
Lead Lap

There aren't many major problems that are guaranteed to happen. Just maintenance stuff. The Hood and Trunk Shocks everyone is talking about aren't too expensive... less than $100 and are more of a convience than a necessity cuz plenty of people ride around with bad hood/and or trunk shocks.

If your friend buys a Lexus with the optional Nakamichi system, the amplifiers have a habit of going bad $900+.. Cup Holder guaranteed to break around $100+ Power window actuators $? (Rear windows mostly).

Everything else is normal maintenance, like shocks etc. Overall, for some of the prices the 1st Gen are going for now i would say get it. There aren't many cars that old that look that good. Only downside will be if something does go wrong you will need to dig a little deeper into your wallet. However, if he is a handy guy then a lot of fixes are listed right here on the forum.
Old 03-07-03 | 01:50 PM
Lvangundy

Trunk supports and things like the radio are much less neccessary than properly working suspension, engine, transmission, and electrical system.

There are MANY more things on higher mileage cars that need to be checked and sometimes replaced to have a great running GS. Lexus cars are expensive to maintain. It might be a good idea to have your friend save some extra money after the total cost of the car for basic maintenance items.

If he's mechanically inclined that saves alot in labor costs. Parts though are still pricey.
Old 03-07-03 | 02:26 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Forgot all about that cupholder!! Mine is broken right now!
Old 03-08-03 | 02:15 AM
Rover
Pole Position

Default GS, baby, yeah.

Sal Collaziano,
Bottom line is this. Lexus is the only dealership that keeps the maintanance history of the car.
Check that, if all the necessary maint. was done on the car, then you have nothing to worry
about. With the necessary maint. done in time and done right, 1st Gen. will go forever.
Guys have told you about most of the major problems already.
Shocks on the trunk and the hood.
Cup-holder, sounds insignificant, but it is around $100 a pop.
Exhaust might have a rattling sound, this means they
need to change the bracket in there. It's located near
the catalystic converter. Lexus Co. actually did
come out with an improved part for that, since our factory
brackets kept on braking, just like cup-holders.
Other than that you are all set, bro.
Be good and good luck. Keep us posted, if you (your friend) do get a 1st Gen. GS.

Last edited by Rover; 03-08-03 at 02:18 AM.
Old 03-08-03 | 08:01 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you for this great and useful information.. Being the owner of www.cadillacforums.com - I did try and convince my friend to buy a Caddy. But, being concerned with the high costs of ownership - he told me "not yet". So, I figured if he's going to get ANY luxury car other than a Caddy, look to Lexus. And he is..

The things he fears most about a Cadillac is the $1000.00 a piece shock replacement - which COULD turn into a $4000.00 job if left unrepaired.. Also the $8000.00 Northstar engine.. It may be far more expensive to maintain a Cadillac..

With that being said - it doesn't sound to me like it's ALL to expensive to maintain a Lexus.. What does an engine cost to replace? Transmission?

Thank you...
Old 03-11-03 | 12:12 AM
Lead Lap

Transmission... you shouldn't ever need a tranny
Engine... should last at least 200,000 miles many have gotten over 300,000 mine lasted 204,000 bought one out a salvaged 94 GS with only 44,000 miles on it for $1700 that mainly the block and heads.. you use your existing tranny, Trac Control, Alternator, AC, Power steering etc. that was last year so i now only have around 50,000 miles on my engine.

I think my engine would have lasted longer but my car was stolen and recovered last year .. I think they damaged it in some way during that period and the problem didnt manifest itself until many months later. BTW the guy was a minor, he is now serving 2 years without probation. He was tried as an adult. because while pending my trial he stole another car and was caught in it. .. He was also order to pay me restitution.. but i know i will never get that money. Or the Glock, DVDs, CDs, Kenwood KVT910 DVD, Alpine Amp V12 5 channel amp, VCR, and CD Changer. Man it hurts Yeah i had insurance but they don't pay for everything, he scrached the car etc. i was out of pocket about $4000
Old 03-11-03 | 05:45 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Wow.. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.. That's terrible.. Well.. What goes around comes around. You'll have something good happen to you for it. That's the way things seem to work.. Thank you for the added information here. Everything helps...
Old 03-12-03 | 01:29 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

007, my sympathies are with you as well!! The really sad thing about that situation is a teenager has ruined his life!! Although he only has to serve 2 years, he will almost never be able to get a really good job with that type of record. So a cycle starts, he cant get a job, so he cant support his girl and kid, he needs money so he does more crime, he gets locked up, and the cycle repeats itself!!
Old 03-12-03 | 05:18 PM
Lead Lap

He was already messed up.... you should see this guy and his friends...not to mention his family. Career criminals.... Career losers. He actually bragged to the District Attorney that there was no car that he couldn't steal. He had no remorse. He was spotted joy riding all over town in my car going to the club... parking at the mall.. etc. If i had caught him he would have been one dead MF. I guess it is a good thing i didn't

Thanks to all for your kind words and sympathy.
Old 03-12-03 | 06:26 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Well since you put it that way, he deserves his life of non existence!! Any JackA$$ that steals a car, then rides around in it, like its a LOANER, is a DIRTBUCKET for real!!