GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

ECT POWER vs. OVERDRIVE

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-03, 12:05 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is OUT OF CONTROL!! LOL

I thought I had explained it pretty well, apparently I SUCK!

I honestly don't notice a difference with ECT power on or off, gas mileage or acceleration included. Someone TOLD me that ECT power is actually better for the tranny because it puts less stress on the gears when the tranny shifts quicker/jerkier as opposed to smoothly/slowly. That's probably ridiculous, I know. I leave it on all the time because I like the green light on the dash. OVERDRIVE I do not mess around with.

ECT "power" button, like birds, is magic.
Old 03-11-03, 12:48 PM
Lvangundy

Dood.

DTPstyle - I think you and Jmai are too similar.

Have you ever driven in a manual transmission car (stick) ? Like a 5 speed? Just imagine your car has 4 gears.

When you hit the O/D button and the light appears on your dash that says "O/D OFF", you are stopping your transmission from shifting into 4th gear.

When O/D is on, shifting into 4th gear is enabled which improves gas milage among other things because your car's engine is not revving so high. It also enables you to actually drive at high speeds on the freeway. If you left 'O/D OFF' you would not be able to drive past 80 or so MPH. If you kept going you could blow your engine or transmission.

To help you understand how the gears and RPMs work try leaving your car in 1st gear (L) and drive a short distance (like the up the street) but do NOT go over 35MPH. Also, do not hold your car at this speed for very long. To get out of first gear move the shifter up to the "2" position and you can see that you can drive further before the RPM's go really high again - up to about 60mph. If you move the shift **** again to "D" and the "O/D OFF" is lit up on the dash, the car will shift into third gear. Once again, you can drive at a faster speed (up to 80 or so.) If it is already not lit on the dash, the car will shift into 4th gear most likely. If you hit the O/D button again and the light turns off, the car will shift into 4th gear.

I'm betting I lost your attention by now..

Last edited by Lvangundy; 03-11-03 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-11-03, 01:37 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Lvangundy
HEEHEHEEEE

DTPSTYLE: I think the quickest and safest way for you to understand the fundamentals of how gears work is for you to ride a 10 speed mountain bike (bicycle that you pedal, not a motorcycle). Pedal and go through ALL the gears, uphill, downhill, flat, accelerating, etc. You'll also understand why you can't pedal (gas/throttle) and shift at the same time. This was how I learned first hand how gears work and it's the least embarassing (well, i was in 4th grade).

OVERDRIVE is any "gear" used where the gear ratio goes below 10:1.
Old 03-11-03, 01:44 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dood.

DTPstyle - I think you and Jmai are too similar.

Have you ever driven in a manual transmission car (stick) ? Like a 5 speed? Just imagine your car has 4 gears.

When you hit the O/D button and the light appears on your dash that says "O/D OFF", you are stopping your transmission from shifting into 4th gear.

When O/D is on, shifting into 4th gear is enabled which improves gas milage among other things because your car's engine is not revving so high. It also enables you to actually drive at high speeds on the freeway. If you left 'O/D OFF' you would not be able to drive past 80 or so MPH. If you kept going you could blow your engine or transmission.

To help you understand how the gears and RPMs work try leaving your car in 1st gear (L) and drive a short distance (like the up the street) but do NOT go over 35MPH. Also, do not hold your car at this speed for very long. To get out of first gear move the shifter up to the "2" position and you can see that you can drive further before the RPM's go really high again - up to about 60mph. If you move the shift **** again to "D" and the "O/D OFF" is lit up on the dash, the car will shift into third gear. Once again, you can drive at a faster speed (up to 80 or so.) If it is already not lit on the dash, the car will shift into 4th gear most likely. If you hit the O/D button again and the light turns off, the car will shift into 4th gear.

thats a very good explanation.
Old 03-11-03, 02:11 PM
Lvangundy

Mezoom - Actually this site says overdrive is below 1:1 ratio.

http://www.superlift.com/gear.htm

:-)
Old 03-11-03, 02:15 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Mezoom - Actually this site says overdrive is below 1:1 ratio.

http://www.superlift.com/gear.htm

:-)
LOL that's what i meant!!!!!! 10:1 would be a really loadsome gear
Old 03-11-03, 02:51 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Yep me and Jmai are homies!! haha, we even have the same sig. BTW my sig will change once INDYPWR gets between our cars.
Old 03-11-03, 02:53 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Lvangundy and all,

Thanks for your opinions.. Heres a question, why didn't Lexus just give us a 5th gear instead of O/D????
Old 03-11-03, 02:59 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DTPstyle
Lvangundy and all,

Thanks for your opinions.. Heres a question, why didn't Lexus just give us a 5th gear instead of O/D????
i'm not sure if the newer lexus with 5th gear have OD or not. but OD just makes the car stay at 1 gear before the last.
Old 03-12-03, 01:22 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Me Zoom gave basically the same explanation that I gave on the 1st page!! I guess points have to be re-iterated before they sink in!!

BTW- the 96-97 GS DOES have a 5th GEAR
Old 03-12-03, 01:37 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Jmai22
i'm not sure if the newer lexus with 5th gear have OD or not. but OD just makes the car stay at 1 gear before the last.

You need to find out the GEAR RATIO of that 5th gear to see if it is "overdrive" or not. Just because there's no button and orange light in your instrumet panel indicating "O/D off" doesn't mean you don't have overdrive. FOR EXAMPLE, My Subaru 5-speed manual has OVERDRIVE. 4th gear is actualy "top gear," so 5th gear is actually "overtop", a.k.a. "overdrive."
Again, OVERDRIVE IS "A GEAR ASSEMBLY WHICH PRODUCES MORE SHAFT REVOLUTIONS THAN THAT TRANSMITTED TO IT."
Old 03-17-03, 07:26 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 00 GS400, I looked and looked but found no O/D button. I have tiptronic tranny and have noticed that the lights colors are different from manual mode to regular D mode.

Where is this O/D button you guys are talking about?