follow up on restoring old leather for our cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-03, 10:39 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default follow up on restoring old leather for our cars

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=59531

Hey JMAI I was wondering if you could tell us how it went removing your seats and if you were able to improve the look of your leather.

My seats don't have any tears but I have more scratches than I'd like to admit and the color is worn away on the edge of the front seats where the seatbelt rubs against it. I suspect most everyone is in the same boat as me, more or less.

Is it worth the time\money you spent cleaning and restoring or do you recommend putting that effort towards getting the seats re-done at an upholstery shop? If you did see an improvement, what did you use?

Now that the weather is nice here in Dallas I want to try and get some stuff done.
Old 03-10-03, 10:52 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, i took out the 4 screws on the bottom and found my seatbelt still stuck to the car. so i just it all back together and got the answer. then i was too lazy to do it all againt because these 4 screws that hold the seat to the car is kinda hard to remove. well anyways, this is a while back. i just use some stuff called soft scrub. its a kitchen cleaner. it got all of the dark spots out. but leaves a white residue that you have to wipe away with a wet paper towel. Right now my leather is pretty messed up, i'm not even taking car of it anymore. i'm just waiting to get enough money to get it redone. gonna cost about 700 for front and rear seats for REAL leather. since i have grey interiour i was thinking of getting Black and Dark grey center. would that look too nasty, or should i just get solid grey? i'm looking for a little darker look.
Old 03-10-03, 11:13 AM
Mischievious GS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

another option, if your leather seats are hard, is a product called Surflex leather soffener . it supposed to work really well as far as restoring the suppleness of the leather, but i haven't had a really hot day here for me to apply it so the juices soak in. the other option is at http://www.leatherseats.com . i believe they sell kits for our car for $679. i have no clue as to the quality of the kits, but i'm sure someone in the maint. section of the forums can shed some light .
Old 03-10-03, 11:32 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Mischievious GS
another option, if your leather seats are hard, is a product called Surflex leather soffener . it supposed to work really well as far as restoring the suppleness of the leather, but i haven't had a really hot day here for me to apply it so the juices soak in. the other option is at http://www.leatherseats.com . i believe they sell kits for our car for $679. i have no clue as to the quality of the kits, but i'm sure someone in the maint. section of the forums can shed some light .
thats the one i'm getting. i heard very good things about them
Old 03-10-03, 11:48 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

www.katzkin.com for all your leather needs. BTW don't be suckered into trying to install it yourself. You don't have the tools or the experience, trust me.
Old 03-10-03, 12:05 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Todd, i got your e-mail a while back and i sent it out for a couple of people to help you vote on NOT geting rid of the advertisements.

I read in the SC forum that it was really simple. they had a group buy and a bunch of people got it. and they installed it them self. all they had to do was order these special clamps and stuff. i like doing stuff myself. i think i'll give it a try.

I know your sponsored by katzkin so hook me up. lol
Old 03-10-03, 12:33 PM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

I wish I could brotha! Those special clamps are called "hog rings." You will also need a special set of pliers for them. You also will need some dry silicone spray to get those covers on as the new leather is very tight (which it needs to be). Be careful not to rip it. Also, the Katzkin kit came with a bag of hog rings.

Thanks for helping me out BTW!! I really appreciate it, we spanked them!

T
Old 03-10-03, 01:21 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huh? Are you saying the our SC peeps did the Katzkin install themselves, or the leatherseats.com one? Who got spanked? lol

The Katzkin kits look N-I-C-E. I think it's pretty obvious that's the way to go. I was just curious to know if the factory leather responded well to any of those leather products since I have a pretty tight mod budget and I'm planning taking the plunge getting the TEINS this summer.
Old 03-10-03, 01:26 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Pianoman72
Huh? Are you saying the our SC peeps did the Katzkin install themselves, or the leatherseats.com one? Who got spanked? lol

The Katzkin kits look N-I-C-E. I think it's pretty obvious that's the way to go. I was just curious to know if the factory leather responded well to any of those leather products since I have a pretty tight mod budget and I'm planning taking the plunge getting the TEINS this summer.
the leatherseats is the one everyone has on here. there was a group buy few months back. do a search on them they look really nice. there are some really nice pics posted too.
Old 03-10-03, 04:30 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally posted by Mischievious GS
Now i started a thread a week or two ago for this very information but i think i put it in the Appearance section... well anyway. I called leatherseats.com and talked to the sales rep.. (very nice by the way) and got the scoop. Leatherseats.com is much cheaper than Katzkin. However, price isn't $679 the actual price for a 1st Gen GS is $799 (Compared to $878 for Katzkin) he explained that our seats are larger and have more leather content than the average car. Also, they use the actual leather Lexus uses and the color should be an exact match. Mine is Tan/Sandstone.

The kit includes Both Front Seats, Center Console, Rear Buckets with armrest, as well as all four headrests. The self-install kit is only $35 (Compared to $99 for Katzkin's kit) He said the kit is designed to be user friendly. I will be doing mine myself, Interiors are hard when you must cut and sew the materials.. not a kit like this, this should be pretty simple. One will need to take their time and be careful, that's all. He stated that shipping is generally in the neighborhood of $25 and the kits takes about 10 working days delivered to your door.

They have perforated seats, two tone, custom logos etc. I think i will just get the original replacement though. So for about $860 total one could self install a new leather interior. By the way professional installs run about $499... Hmm $35 kit or $499.. not much to think about for me. I'm not ready to buy right now but we need to do a group buy as well.. He told me that he would give discounts for multiple simultaneous purchases. So everyone think about when they want to redo their interiors. Cuz having the outside look great and the inside like crap, just isn't cool.
Old 03-10-03, 04:46 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 007
Now i started a thread a week or two ago for this very information but i think i put it in the Appearance section... well anyway. I called leatherseats.com and talked to the sales rep.. (very nice by the way) and got the scoop. Leatherseats.com is much cheaper than Katzkin. However, price isn't $679 the actual price for a 1st Gen GS is $799 (Compared to $878 for Katzkin) he explained that our seats are larger and have more leather content than the average car. Also, they use the actual leather Lexus uses and the color should be an exact match. Mine is Tan/Sandstone.

The kit includes Both Front Seats, Center Console, Rear Buckets with armrest, as well as all four headrests. The self-install kit is only $35 (Compared to $99 for Katzkin's kit) He said the kit is designed to be user friendly. I will be doing mine myself, Interiors are hard when you must cut and sew the materials.. not a kit like this, this should be pretty simple. One will need to take their time and be careful, that's all. He stated that shipping is generally in the neighborhood of $25 and the kits takes about 10 working days delivered to your door.

They have perforated seats, two tone, custom logos etc. I think i will just get the original replacement though. So for about $860 total one could self install a new leather interior. By the way professional installs run about $499... Hmm $35 kit or $499.. not much to think about for me. I'm not ready to buy right now but we need to do a group buy as well.. He told me that he would give discounts for multiple simultaneous purchases. So everyone think about when they want to redo their interiors. Cuz having the outside look great and the inside like crap, just isn't cool.
good info. i'm with you man. next month or so would be better for me.
Old 03-10-03, 10:29 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Wheres the 35.00??/ I checked the sites and couldn't find any seats for 35.00. LOL help!
Old 03-10-03, 10:52 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

the 35 bucks is the pliers and the clips you need.
Old 03-10-03, 11:41 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by DTPstyle
Wheres the 35.00??/ I checked the sites and couldn't find any seats for 35.00. LOL help!

Yelp, the $35 is for all the special tools you will need to do the job yourself.
Old 03-11-03, 06:43 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Man, your leather shops are jacking you.

1st misconception...the seats are ALL leather. Nope. EVERY leather seat has other materials used in it, usually vinyl. The reason being is that you have to have some type of stretch to get them on. Leather sofas are stretched then stapled, you don't have that luxury in an auto.

2nd, if your leather shop is charging $400 for an install, then they are pissed at you for bringing in an outside leather kit.

3rd, I called a shop here in Dallas yesterday and got a quote of $965 for a Katzkin kit for a four-door which included front buckets, rear bench, rear armrest, 4 headrests and door inserts. Your choice of pattern, type of leather and color. Or, they would do a custom kit for $1000.

4th, the colors will NOT be exact. The rest of the leather/vinyl in your car has been exposed to all sorts of contaminates, UV, etc... You will get close, but I recommend having your front armrest recovered at the same time, it WILL be a little different if you don't and yes, you can notice it.

How many 1st Gen owners on here have upgraded/replaced their leather? I have, who else? The SC is a different car guys. If you get a bunch of people together that are really serious, I mean cash in hand, I would make a call to Katzkin and try to work something out. But, its your car, do whats right for you.

Quick Reply: follow up on restoring old leather for our cars