GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

bye gs hello sc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-03, 01:37 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Manaray
Why just half-step to the Supra suspension? The Supra guys dump their suspension for coilovers...you can get sways (Daizen) for your GS and you can get coilovers (JIC) for your GS....the cost is the same as the SC stuff....dunno, like others said, there are a lot of SC's out there with very few JZS147 GS's....it would be nice to see some more GS's hooked up like Rico's (who I think has one of the nicest JZS147 GS's out there) and Mcnelson (also dope in a dark, sinister way... )...

How many miles do you have on your GS? I wouldn't mind buying one....
i have 130,000 miles on the car. Black exterior and dark grey leather interior which is going to get a complete make over. I will be putting brand new leather interior in the front and back seats before i sell. this car runs perfect and is great. the only reason why i'm redoing the leather is because it looks really worn and if i spend a few hundred redoing the leather i can sell it for quiet a bit more. Thanks
Old 03-18-03, 09:20 AM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if you dumping the GS then all i really have to say is..... ......we're going to miss you man!!
Old 03-18-03, 10:43 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 2Lexos
well if you dumping the GS then all i really have to say is..... ......we're going to miss you man!!
haha... your too funny man. i'll still be here. you won't even notice the difference
Old 03-18-03, 12:16 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey, manaray: how much are those sways from DAIZEN and coilovers JIC costs for 1st gen gs?
any particular website i can get infos from? tks...
Old 03-18-03, 12:52 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Manaray,

To tag on to Indy's question, is there any company that makes a decent strut for the 1st Gen? I'm currently running a 1.9" Intrax drop(settled) with KYB-GR2s and although the ride is nice on the highway, it turns to crap in the city
Old 03-18-03, 02:43 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Manaray
Why just half-step to the Supra suspension? The Supra guys dump their suspension for coilovers...you can get sways (Daizen) for your GS and you can get coilovers (JIC) for your GS....the cost is the same as the SC stuff....dunno, like others said, there are a lot of SC's out there with very few JZS147 GS's....it would be nice to see some more GS's hooked up like Rico's (who I think has one of the nicest JZS147 GS's out there) and Mcnelson (also dope in a dark, sinister way... )...

How many miles do you have on your GS? I wouldn't mind buying one....

And it's for sale!!!

Last edited by mcnelson; 03-18-03 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-19-03, 09:23 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

I'm curious, too. I thought TEIN was our only source for coilovers and there were no sources for sways.

Originally posted by indypwr
hey, manaray: how much are those sways from DAIZEN and coilovers JIC costs for 1st gen gs?
any particular website i can get infos from? tks...
Old 03-19-03, 10:57 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i THINK manaray MIGHT be alittle confused. SC suspension WON"T fit on the first gen gs. and SC sways wont fit on the GS. i already asked and it was confirumed that it didn't work
Old 03-19-03, 01:46 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Default coilovers

Manaray is not confused. He did not say that the SC coilovers would fit on the GS. He only said that you could get JIC coilovers for the GS and that the price would be the same as what it would cost to get coilovers for the SC. Manaray is pretty familiar with the suspension on the first GS and has given people quite a bit of info on suspension parts over the year(s).
Old 03-19-03, 02:42 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah Jmai the info is all there in one of manaray's 6,750+ posts. How could you even say such a thing!
Old 03-20-03, 02:42 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Link13 & Pianoman72 - Thanks for the backup guys!

Hehehehe, no, I wasn't confused...Daizen is working on (or they might already have) a set of sways for the JZS147 GS300....

JIC makes the SF-1 coilovers which LIST at $1450 (actually $50 less than the ones for the SC) and they also make the FLT-A2 for $1950. The FLT-A2 is a serious setup that is geared more towards track use...the SF-1's are more geared towards street use...this is what I put into my SC400...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=76421

You guys can hit up Steve Ganz (gonzo4u@earthlink.net or 800-90-TOYOTA and leave a message) for pricing on all those parts...

DGOT20s - First thing, get rid of the InTRASH springs...those are the worse springs I've ever had the displeasure of using. Those POS springs sack out quickly...

As for a spring/shock combo, I'm not sure what will work well. I completely skip over the spring/shock step now as I have already proven to myself that it's just a waste of money (and Link13 can attest to that! Hehehehe... ) Coilovers have the advantage of a matched spring rate and shock dampening which is why they ride well and handle well...something that spring/shock combos require lots of trial and error to achieve (unless it's a match set from a single manufacturer)...plus they have FULLY adjustable height (higher that stock to WAY lower that stock) which spring/shocks also don't offer...you are stuck with whatever the spring manufactures sets it too (and what it eventually settles down to)
Old 03-20-03, 02:49 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by mcnelson
And it's for sale!!!
How many miles do you have on your GS? I would be interested if the milage is low an the price is right...I was just checking out your sig...I'd like everything but the wheels, the coilovers and the brakes...only because I'd do 20" iForged wheels (probably the Sprint...the 7-spoke), JIC SF-1's, and StopTech 4 Piston/14" rotor brakes...oh, and add the Daizen Sways...other than that, I'd keep it pretty much the same...probably would change the steering wheel back to a stock one and also change shifter back to stock too...but I'd keep the all black look except the wheels would have a brushed aluminum lip (not high polished)...damn, I've already modded the car and I don't even own it!! Hehehehehe

Jmai - I'm looking for a lower (60K to 70K) milage GS300...

Last edited by Manaray; 03-20-03 at 02:50 AM.
Old 03-20-03, 09:50 AM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

The body has now got about 104k but since the engine was completely redone to compensate for the turbo that was less than 20k ago and have had no problems at all!
Old 03-20-03, 03:50 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Damn Manaray, I know you mean well, but GOD knows you come off HARSH!! Bud, your car is marvelous, but saying that someones mod is TRASH is a bit extreme, dont you think?? I respect your opinion, because I know you are very well versed in this field! Its all good though, I guess I sound pretty harsh when I talk about the Civic dudes! Since the INTRASH is no good, what spring/shock route should I go??? To be totally honest, I only mod my car for fun, and 2500 dollars or more for a suspension set is not fun!!! To be totally honest, slot car handling is not my top priority, although the improved road holding that lowering springs provide is nice! My first priority is a lower ride height (at least 1.75), and then ride comfort.

BTW when I got my springs, the only companies that carried them were Eibach (only a 1.2" drop), and INTRASH (1.75, but it has settled to about 1.9). To be honest, I like my car now that the springs have settled, I have no GAP
Old 03-21-03, 01:23 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

DGOT20's - Ah, everyone takes things so negatively...I'm not saying "YOUR" mod is trash...I'm saying Intrax makes TRASH SPRINGS...BIG difference...I know InTRASH sucks cuz I had them before and I've had many friends who had them before. We bought them for the same reason you did, they offered the lowest lowering then anyone else on the market (outside of JDM stuff that back in the days was nearly impossible to get)...so I'm not attacking you or anything...I'm just letting you know that InTRASH sucks, that's all!

Having no gap is nice and if you don't care about the ride quality and whatnot, then by all means, use InTRASH...but if people ask me for recommendations, those would not be springs I'd recommend. Eibach, on the other hand, makes some good springs as does H&R...as a matter of fact, H&R might have a setup that is close to the InTRASH setup in terms of lowering...

Mcnelson - 104K on the body isn't bad...have you had any of the bushings (lower/upper a-arms) changed out? I assume you did the engine and tranny mounts while you were swapping in the "good stuff"...the only issue would be to get the car to pass CA DMV Emissions...I'm not sure how I would go about getting it registered here...I'd probably have to take off the turbo to get it to pass...unless the DMV will take paperwork for any authorized Smog shop...in which case, I got that covered... I hate the damn Liberals in CA...always passing laws on the WRONG things and letting REAL criminals go free...

So how much are you looking to get for it? Can you price it w/o the wheels/tires, brake kit and Tein's? You could probably sell them for more on here anyways...

Jmai - You need to check yourself...I "ALWAYS" talk crap about "EVERYONE"? You sure about that? All I can say is that you don't know jack about me. Check your email....

Last edited by Manaray; 03-21-03 at 01:38 AM.

Quick Reply: bye gs hello sc.