bad steering noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-03, 05:50 AM
RooLex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation bad steering noise

Hello,

I've had my GS for just under about two years, I had it parked in a garage for most of the time working on it. When I started driving it everytning was fine. But now when you turn the steering be it stopped or while driving this realy loud ( like a belt sliping ) noise comes in to it. Now I no it's now a belt but I don't know what it is??

I can't figure it out. It's not always there it comes in and out of it, might be there one time you start the car and then not the next. Also if it gets really bad and you stop the car and open the power steering container in the engine bay, there's loads of bubbles in it. As if it's boiling over. So I think air is getting in to it somewhere but yet the level dosen't seem to be droping at all so I don't think it's leeking ?????

any one any ideas ??

thanks
Old 04-04-03, 08:45 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just FYI everyone I have the same noise as RooLex and that might have prompted the Lexus dealer to say I had a leak in the power steering rack. Check my thread in the maintenence section.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=79096

I have to say, though, those air bubbles you describe do make it sound like air is getting into the system. I don't know how it works but maybe that could cause damage to the steering column.
Old 04-04-03, 08:58 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just spoke to the dealer and they said there are rubber seals on the rack and on a ten year old car they will inevitably go bad. You can't just replace the seals, you have to replace the rack, and when the fluid is low the steering will make a moaning noise.

My PS fluid isn't low I don't think but I'll check it again.
Old 04-04-03, 12:40 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More than likely its your power steering pump: Esp since you are seeing bubbles

Symptoms;

1) You hear screeching noise when you first crank the car up and if you press the gas it gets louder but after the car warms up it seems to go away.

2). You especially hear the noise on cold days and when making full turns.

You have one belt (drive belt) so your belt is not the problem
The rack on these Lexus are very well made and most make it past 200,000km with no problems

I had the same problem, i knew it was the power steering pump, bought one at the salvage yard for $100. Problem gone.
Old 04-05-03, 07:45 AM
RooLex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up thanks for your help

It's great to be able to put a problem like that on net and talk to someone that might have had the same problem. Over here there is very few gs's on the road, never mind ones with owners that know how their engine works. So now the other problem I have is that there is even fewer gs's in a scrap yard, but I'll give it a shot - if not any idea on how much a new one would be ?

And is it much of a job to change the pump - any tips ??

thanks for the help !