GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Fuel Injector Service

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-03, 09:15 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injector Service

Because the newest car that could possibly be on this forum is a 97, I thought this might be of some assistance. About a month ago, I took my car to Jiffy Lube and had a 59.99 fuel injector cleaning. What they do is attach some sort of detergent in a vacuum to your fuel rail, and pour some cleaner in your tank. Then they let your car idle for about 10 min, then they rev it up for 10min. You will not believe how much white smoke comes out!!!! Performance wise, it probably just helps out on response, but from a mileage standpoint, its great!! I get much better gas mileage now, case in point, 300 miles on a full tank with AC on 45% of the trip, some city driving, and 85-100mph average highway speed. Keep in mind, I have 20" wheels, and a subwoofer box in my trunk!!

I think that everyone on this forum should give it a try (if you havent already!)
Old 04-07-03, 10:25 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am one of those people that believe that the whole "fuel injection cleaning" thing is a scam. Sorry.

taken from http://www.toyotechs.com/tips.htm

Auto Awareness

Warm weather is a good time for most people to do the things for their cars that they put off during the cold, rainy months. We don't sell tires, and quickie oil change places are so darn convenient.__ But please be aware almost all franchise stores and large chains have quotas and pay commissions on parts and push high profit margin items._ We don't even own a fuel injector cleaning system because they just don't work on Japanese and German cars. (The salesmen that have tried to sell us systems in the past pitch how many cars we could sell this to in a day and how profitable a can of cleaner is. If you really want to give away $49.95, donate it to your church or favorite charity, where it will do some good).__ If your problem is truly with injectors, we would either remove them to clean them or replace the injector or the seals around them. Cracked or hard injector seals can create a vacuum leak that causes running problems._ We find that running a gas addictive with Techroline® or running a tank or two of Chevron® gas will do more good.
Old 04-07-03, 02:56 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally posted by Pianoman72
I am one of those people that believe that the whole "fuel injection cleaning" thing is a scam. Sorry.

taken from http://www.toyotechs.com/tips.htm

Auto Awareness

Warm weather is a good time for most people to do the things for their cars that they put off during the cold, rainy months. We don't sell tires, and quickie oil change places are so darn convenient.__ But please be aware almost all franchise stores and large chains have quotas and pay commissions on parts and push high profit margin items._ We don't even own a fuel injector cleaning system because they just don't work on Japanese and German cars. (The salesmen that have tried to sell us systems in the past pitch how many cars we could sell this to in a day and how profitable a can of cleaner is. If you really want to give away $49.95, donate it to your church or favorite charity, where it will do some good).__ If your problem is truly with injectors, we would either remove them to clean them or replace the injector or the seals around them. Cracked or hard injector seals can create a vacuum leak that causes running problems._ We find that running a gas addictive with Techroline® or running a tank or two of Chevron® gas will do more good.

Thanks for the info and the link. I was often wondering how my injectors were holding up since the car is now 10 years old. I would add some gas treatment around once or twice a year to clean the injectors. Good to know i have been on the right path
Old 04-07-03, 04:10 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Piano, thanks for the post, but I drive from MA to NY alot, and I have seen a diff in gas mileage, that is food for thought though!!