GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

My Shifter Knob Broke..How do I take the Shifter Console Out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-03, 05:40 PM
DroppedGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Shifter **** Broke..How do I take the Shifter Console Out?

My Shifter **** Broke..How do I take the Shifter Console Out?

My Shifter broke i would like to know how to take the Shifter Console out? Not the Shifter alone, Im talking about the whole thing.. The guy that im buying it from will not sell me the Shifter by it self so im going to have to install the whole thing... To take the whole console out where should I start from?
Old 04-10-03, 12:18 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

I think there are some screws under the bottom plastic part of the shifter. Remove these and the shifter should come off.
Old 04-10-03, 04:59 AM
DroppedGS
Driver

Originally posted by 93LexoGS300
I think there are some screws under the bottom plastic part of the shifter. Remove these and the shifter should come off.
Whats the best way to pull the plastic wood panel above te shifter out?
Old 04-10-03, 09:03 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a shifter from someone else. There is no reason to buy the whole console. I can tell you how to get the plastic piece off that has the gears listed on it. You push DOWN on the plastic on the shift **** shaft and it will expose two screws. You will strip the screws immediately. Good thing your shifter is already broken. Anyway, that's as far as I got. Go and get a dremel and try to get the screws out that way.

If you make it past that all you would need is a new shift **** (there are some aftermarket ones, please don't buy from that guy who is trying to screw you IMO). OK, to get more stuff out open your ashtray and PULL REALLY HARD. It will come out and little metal brackets that help hold it in there will fly all over the place and fall in places where you will never find them again.

Next, the plastic shifter area thing just pulls off. I never made it this far so good luck. I know there is a screw under the "heated seats" switches (if you have them, I just had to pull out a change holder). I think it is the main screw that holds the console in. There are some more once you pop out the rear AC vent (it pulls out). And I'm sure there are some more. How much of the center console is this guy making you buy?
Old 04-10-03, 10:45 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, like Pianoman72 said, don't buy the entire assembly unless the one you have is cracked or something. Or unless you are getting a hellava deal on it. What are you paying if you don't mind me asking?

Anyway, put the car in neutral so that the shifter is in a vertical postion. You can use the ignition to do this or you can remove that little rubber cap on the shifter console and put a key or screwdriver in it to engage the manual shifter release, which allows you to shift to neutral without the key in the ignition.

Next there is a plastic housing below the shifter, put a slight downward pressure on it to expose 2 phillip head screws remove and shifter should slide off.

To remove the entire console use a flat head screwdriver and wedge between a corner near the heated seats button/armrest.... gently pry up. Put shifter in lowest gear, open the armrest to allow more clearance and gently pull console toward you. There are a couple of plugs to disconnect under the console.

There will not be a need to remove the ashtray. And you can re-install by following these directions in reverse order. Hopefully this is acurate, since i haven't done it in a while.

P.S. don't pay more than $100max. cuz you can find a shifter, and companies that sell wood dash kits also sell replacement center console wood like exoticwooddash.com. Although a new factory shifter console is around $450 not including the shifter.

Old 04-10-03, 12:03 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

my shifter broke too. i'm looking for a dark grey one. no ones makes an aftermarket shift **** with a square base. so the only choice we have is factory. oh levoc makes one but it looks cheap.

does anyone know a company that makes a sqaure base shift **** without the overdrive button>??
Old 04-10-03, 01:24 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is Levoc the one that MCNelson has? I thought it looked okay.

What is breaking on everyone's shifter? You guys should see if Carson Toyota will sell you a shifter **** seperately, or maybe Sewell Lexus here in Dallas will. They're the ones with the "lexus-parts" banner ad.

I'm still pissed at my shifter for not coming off. This weekend it meets the Dremel.
Old 04-10-03, 11:43 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

my shift **** just snapped right above the 2 screws(long story). My 2 screws came out fine. you just have to find a good phillips head screw driver and not a dinky one. try to find one with a big tip.
Old 04-11-03, 05:33 AM
DroppedGS
Driver

Default Thanks for the Help!

Thanks for the Help! I put the Whole shifter in yesterday... It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be... Thanks Alot!
Old 04-11-03, 10:31 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Thanks for the Help!

Originally posted by DroppedGS
Thanks for the Help! I put the Whole shifter in yesterday... It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be... Thanks Alot!
where did you get your ****. i'm looking for one too.
Old 04-11-03, 04:26 PM
DroppedGS
Driver

Default Re: Re: Thanks for the Help!

Originally posted by Jmai22
where did you get your ****. i'm looking for one too.
From a yard in Philly...There pretty hard to find.
Old 04-11-03, 08:17 PM
Lead Lap

Why are so many of you breaking your shifters????? You guys having sex in your cars?

Front seat:
Backseat:
Old 04-11-03, 10:50 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 007
Why are so many of you breaking your shifters????? You guys having sex in your cars?

Front seat:
Backseat:

ahahhaa. Only 2 of us. lol. dam your a good guesser. lol
Old 04-12-03, 02:03 AM
Lead Lap

Been there..... Done that
Old 04-12-03, 11:42 AM
DroppedGS
Driver

Originally posted by 007

Front seat:
Backseat:
Yea thats what happened...I was mad as s%*t afterwards.. I shoulda made her by the shifter LOL.