GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

PinStripe Removal Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-03, 10:36 PM
supermodel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PinStripe Removal Tips?

Does anyone have some tips to remove PinStripes from a 1994 GS? Seems like the PinStripes are well blended in the paint?
Old 04-25-03, 02:20 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

My pinstripe came off easily, it was glued on with adhesive. Just leave the car in the sun to soften the adhesive and then pull it off. I used Goof-Off to remove any residue. But I noticed the pinstripe on Indy's car is painted on, although it was not underneath the clearcoat. I scratched it a little and it chipped off, so paint thinner could be used to remove it. Car paint is baked on, so paint thinner will not remove your car's paint. Just do a little testing on the corner of your doors: see if it peels off or if it is painted on.
Old 04-25-03, 09:42 AM
income247
Driver School Candidate

It really depends on your car and temperature you are doing it at. Some times you can luck out and pull big chunks at a time. This is unlikley with the GS especially with the striping being 9 years old. They make a product called pinstripe and wood grain remover in an aerosol. You can get it at any paint supplier, it's a 3m product and costs about 15 bucks a can. Spray it on a warm day and use a plastic bondo spreader to catch an edge. If your striping is in bad shape get a couple friends to help you out cause it will take the whole day if it is cracked every inch or so. As for any left over adhesive, you can go getto and use nail polish remover(not the non acetone) paint thinner works better, or spend another $10 and get the 3m adhesive remover to go with it. Be prepared to take your time, don't rush it and start early in the day cause the cooler it gets the tougher it is to remove.
Old 05-04-03, 02:18 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my pinstripe pulled off my 1996 ES at the dealer Friday afternoon (after paying $611 to replace power steering pump ). Detail man took a heat gun on low to where the pinstripe started on my rear quarter panel, and softened the adhesive. Pulled up the edge, carefully peeling it as one piece, warming as he went. Pulled the whole thing off in one piece, looked like a piece of tape from an old audio cassette. Once he finished both sides, he took a cloth dipped in rubbing alcohol and removed the adhesive. Finally, he put wax on where the alcohol had been, and buffed it out to blend into the existing wax job. He even polished out a few random scratches on the driver's door. Didn't charge me a cent; I made sure to slip the detail guy a nice tip Car looks much more modern now. As long as the stripe hasn't been clearcoated over, removing it is no big deal.
Old 05-04-03, 08:13 PM
BLKCISCO
Driver

A word to the wise, be real careful. I went to remove mines and got 3/4 of the way done when i ran into a tough spot. I mean real tough. Come to find out that last 1/4 panel had it painted on. :-( . So i end up going to a body shop and having it removed and repainted. Could not drive around like that. After all was said and done; it looks a lot nicer without stripe
Old 05-04-03, 10:38 PM
Mischievious GS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

if you have painted on pinstripes, lacquer thinner takes care of that REAL quick. it won't harm the clear, but keep in mind that if it's your original paint job, there will most likely be paint fade on the whole car, and the area under the pinstripes will be a darker color.
Old 05-05-03, 09:18 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Original owner buffed off the white stripe..