GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Replace worn out gas shocks for rear trunk lid

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-03, 06:34 PM
geoff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace worn out gas shocks for rear trunk lid

Any recommendations on replacement gas shocks (struts?) that hold the rear trunk open? I still have the originals on the car and they are definitely worn out!

How hard are they to replace myself? Are the instructions available online anywhere? Where is the best place to buy replacements? The dealer said they were "expensive" and didn't push them for the price

Thanks in advance
Old 04-27-03, 10:17 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

they are fairly simple to replace so i read. i also read in the LS forum that you can remove yours bring it to local car parts place and buy one with same legth and then take it home and dremel off the tip of the stock one and connect it to the new one because you won't find an aftermarket one with the correct tip
Old 04-28-03, 08:10 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

hmm thats a pretty good idea about getting one from a local place. Also though i'm sure you have to get the right compresion rate for the shock so it doesn't drop too fast. My shocks are gone and I have rammat on the lid which doesn't help.
Old 04-28-03, 10:01 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i know what you mean. ask sunnysungs. he has lifted my trunk up with raammat/foam on my trunk and its HEAVY. lol
Old 04-28-03, 10:39 AM
gompka
Racer

Originally posted by Jmai22
i know what you mean. ask sunnysungs. he has lifted my trunk up with raammat/foam on my trunk and its HEAVY. lol
Speaking of the trunk lid you know what i actually did to mine was first I shot some silicon sealant in between all of the places where the brace meets the sheet metal of the trunk. I noticed that the factory did a pretty crappy job of that, they just put dabs of stuff here and there.

Anyway if you guys find a good deal on these trunk shocks let me know i could use some

Last edited by gompka; 04-28-03 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-28-03, 12:22 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by gompka
Speaking of the trunk lid you know what i actually did to mine was first I shot some silicon sealant in between all of the places where the brace meets the sheet metal of the trunk. I noticed that the factory did a pretty crappy job of that, they just put dabs of stuff here and there.

Anyway if you guys find a good deal on these trunk shocks let me know i could use some
yeah that's what i noticed also. there were just a few dime sized drops of this plastic gue. so what i did was bougtht this bottle of DAP exapanding foam and used the straw that came with it and filled up all those braces until they all flowed out the side. then waited about 30 minutes until it cures. after that i put on about 2 layers of Raammat 60, 1 layer vertically and 1 layer horizonatally. made a big difference. now no more ratteling at all on my car. well i also did the trunk,backseat, rear deck, and rear doors which also helped tremedously.

i found that the MOST noise came from those 2 black box on the 2 side of our cars. there are these flaps inside the box that would make this nasty noise when the bass would hit because of the air pressure. so what i did was took a pair of scissors and cut them all off. now nom ore nasty noise. you should try it out. it took me a while to figure out where it was coming from..
Old 04-28-03, 02:58 PM
gompka
Racer

Originally posted by Jmai22
yeah that's what i noticed also. there were just a few dime sized drops of this plastic gue. so what i did was bougtht this bottle of DAP exapanding foam and used the straw that came with it and filled up all those braces until they all flowed out the side. then waited about 30 minutes until it cures. after that i put on about 2 layers of Raammat 60, 1 layer vertically and 1 layer horizonatally. made a big difference. now no more ratteling at all on my car. well i also did the trunk,backseat, rear deck, and rear doors which also helped tremedously.

i found that the MOST noise came from those 2 black box on the 2 side of our cars. there are these flaps inside the box that would make this nasty noise when the bass would hit because of the air pressure. so what i did was took a pair of scissors and cut them all off. now nom ore nasty noise. you should try it out. it took me a while to figure out where it was coming from..
I have my sub on the rear deck so all of the bass basically goes into the cabin. Didn't really have any rattles in the trunk in the first place but I had some flexing that I wanted to take car of.