GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

howe to buld in a nav. system (foto's pleas:-)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-03, 11:18 PM
michaelw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question howe to buld in a nav. system (foto's pleas:-)

i just got my self a GS 300 T3 damn what a nice car
bud i also wane build in a nav. system now
but i look @ my dashbord i dont see a way to do it nice
can people post there solutions here would proble not only help me
Attached Thumbnails howe to buld in a nav. system (foto's pleas:-)-lexus-gs-300-executive-t3.jpg  

Last edited by michaelw; 05-08-03 at 04:06 AM.
Old 04-22-03, 03:24 PM
alexamparo
Pole Position

Angry

damn I am so mad those wheels come stock in europe......Why can't we get those in the US again???
Old 04-22-03, 04:09 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only way I've seen is removing the old stereo and using a dremel to fabricate your own dash kit out of fiberglass or black plastic that matches the interior black. It is a 2.5 din space I believe so you can fit in a new headunit and a nav screen or whatever you like. Playstation 2 has already been done by Rico"s Revenge on this board, so if that can be done anything can.

Is that what you are asking? If you don't want to remove your stock stereo you are going to have to get really creative.

There is no quick or easy way for our cars. There is a "dash kit" for the ES300 but our cars are SLIGHTLY different.

Good luck with your install. What nav system are you looking at?
Old 04-22-03, 10:13 PM
michaelw
Driver School Candidate

i think i wane keep the standard radio it got a real ok sound and looks good in the dashbord
i just wane see how people have mounted there nav system and remove the radio as a real last option

grtz michael
Old 04-23-03, 12:26 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

i know, man....why cant we get those type of gs here in the u.s.? sucks.........
thy come different models too.......check out their front grille........it's different from ours..........i want one of
those..............badly!!.........rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
Old 04-23-03, 08:52 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Okay, I've sat in the car and though hard for an hour before answering this.

If you wanted to keep your head unit and have the nav system in the center console, then you are talking about doing some major work to make it look proper. Here is the result of my brainstorm...

#1...remove your A/C controls and place them in the glovebox or center console this doesn't give you much space though. Enough for a flipout screen (Alpine Nav system?)
#2...remove your ashtray and place a flip out there
#3...Buy the pop up nav. unit that comes in the new ES series Lex and graft it into the top of your dash. You should have enough space above your center A/C duct and the dash to make it flush. The hard part with this is in order to do it right, it will be VERY involved. Right down to the possibility of having the entire dash recovered.

You've got a tough problem.
Old 04-25-03, 11:11 AM
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Rico's Revenge
Okay, I've sat in the car and though hard for an hour before answering this.

If you wanted to keep your head unit and have the nav system in the center console, then you are talking about doing some major work to make it look proper. Here is the result of my brainstorm...

#1...remove your A/C controls and place them in the glovebox or center console this doesn't give you much space though. Enough for a flipout screen (Alpine Nav system?)
#2...remove your ashtray and place a flip out there
#3...Buy the pop up nav. unit that comes in the new ES series Lex and graft it into the top of your dash. You should have enough space above your center A/C duct and the dash to make it flush. The hard part with this is in order to do it right, it will be VERY involved. Right down to the possibility of having the entire dash recovered.

You've got a tough problem.

ROFLMAO...... .. Rico, if he doesn't want to change the radio.. he damn sure isn't going to do all that stuff.

micaelw... to do it right you are going to need to do some major modifications.. Like make a dash kit, buy a Kenwood, Alpine or Pioneer flip out headunit, add Nav to it. As a plus you will have a t.v and dvd too... when you change the system you will need to change your amp too. Looking at $4000 easily.

Or you can buy one of those portable navigations like what come in Hertz Rentals, stick in on top of the dash or on the side of the console. To add a screen alone on the dashboard wont be so neat, although DGot20s has a screen on the front of his dash.. look at his thread "took some new pics". If you dont like that look a flip out is the way to go.

Last edited by 007; 04-25-03 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-25-03, 11:14 AM
Lead Lap

Here's a pic of D's screen, you can add a Nav to something like this. Kenwood makes a screen nav combo that is touch screen.
Attached Thumbnails howe to buld in a nav. system (foto's pleas:-)-front-screen.jpg  
Old 05-04-03, 10:37 AM
kasper634
Rookie

guys ive been thinking about a installation of a nav system. i wanted to get the kenwood kvt-911 but what i came up with instead of spending 4 grand on everything 2grand for the kvt-911 and addiotion a1500 bucks for the nav computer i thought about buying a 400 dollar 7" screen and installing it where the oem radio went. Then buying one of these puppies.......... www.http://www.gnetcanada.com/index2.htm then get creative in installing that somewhere. then you can have all in one toy. dvd, nav, mp3, even now you can buy those cards from your wireless service provider andhook up you cellphone and use it as a modem. then you even have internet. i also seen a program where you hook up to your obd diagnostics and you have up to date info on your engine. i hardly doubt that thell have that available for our cars.

so with this setup you shouldint spend no more then 1400 bucks.

let me know what you guys think about this setup.

as far as the keyboard goes, i was going to take the ashtray out from the front make another kit out of abs plastic and install the IR sensor for the wireless keyboard. they make those things tiny now days.
Old 05-05-03, 06:20 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

The guys at my shop had actually done something similar in an Eclipse.

They flush mounted a 7" monitor in the dash, but they placed a deck in the dash too. However, the source for the deck was a Sony Vaio. They had to get an adaptor to change the video output to be compatible with the monitor. Then they removed the guts of the glovebox and installed a slide tray inside of it to hold the keyboard (with integrated CD, MP3, etc...). The system was also able to control the turbo system and remotely open the Nitrous bottle. It was a crazy install, I'll see if I can find the pictures.
Old 05-06-03, 07:26 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Mike- I did not want to interrupt the lines of dash either. And I have yet to see a dash kit that matches the black grain of the radio and climate controls, plus I love the way the radio and climate stack look together. I park on the street sometimes in NYC, and I can remove ALL of my monitors, which was one of my concerns prior to installing the monitors.

Alas, the bug has hit again, and I have been wondering if I could have the screen flushed into the recess that would be left if I removed my center vents and clock/flasher stack!!

I swear, I hate what this board is doing to me!!!
Old 05-07-03, 06:58 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Default yup

DGOT20s...

Yes, it can be done. And living in NY, you are a great candidate since A/C is used much and when it is you could live with the side vents. Lengthen the wires for the A/C controls and move them into either the glovebox or center console. You may have to buy another A/C panel without all the *****.

Mold the clock/A/C vent unit together with the new A/C control unit. Then cut out what you need. Take your faceplate or something from the dash and get it color matched so the blacks come out similar.

You'll have to figure a way to keep the whole thing in place though since the contol unit gets bolted in.

I'd like to see it!!
Old 05-07-03, 01:43 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Rico, i was thinking more along the lines of a way to KEEP the A/C unit where it is. Have you ever seen the way the navigation screen comes up on some of the newer cars? Not the birds eye style that comes up from the top of the dash horizontally (ala the new Z4), but the ones that just raise up at a verticle posistion from the dash (maybe the IS300?? I'm not sure!) I wanted that look, so I would sacrifice my vents, my clock, and relocate the hazards button, plus have the screen stick up a little pass the dashtop (maybe an inch).

This may sound shallow, but I like my monitor to be visible from the outside! Please dont flame the kid, I'm just being honest.
Old 05-07-03, 01:47 PM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

No flames here...I've had that idea as well. Another idea was to have it motorize completely vertical and tuck behind the vents.
Old 05-07-03, 09:28 PM
Rover
Pole Position

Anyone ever thought of removing the airbag on the passenger side and placing one of
those pop-up screens in there? I did, the problem is no one wants to do the work, cause
it's illegal. Just my .02

Quick Reply: howe to buld in a nav. system (foto's pleas:-)