GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Help me prepare my car for the best of show car

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-03, 02:42 PM
bush96lex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Help me prepare my car for the best of show car

I want to Modify my car to enter and win best of show car in a regional car show in august 2004.

Proposed modifications:

- I want to get the Quest Power skirts i need to find a source for this there website is www.quest-power.com but they do not respond to none of my email. I would be greatful for a source to get these skirts from.

- I want to get some 20" rims from sportiva modena with some yokohoma avs sport 255/35 20 tires and lower it about 1.5" to 2", I am toying with the idea of having these gold plate to match the 24 karat gold pin stripe and the gold emblems and tail pipes etc.

- I want to paint it over with with the deepest jettiest black i can find and then lay a 24 karat gold pin stripe and clear coat over the entire car embeding the pin stripe.

- I want to get the mesh grill and eyelids and the crystal clear head ligths with the jet black housing.

- I am not sure what i'll do with the tail ligths as yet. suggestions welcomed

- I am not sure about the tint either.

- I would appreciate some suggestions for under the hood in respect to show.

- I wanna redo the seat to match the dash in a two tone style.

- Audio and video system still to be designed.

Attached is a picture of my car as is and I will attach some more images showing the various parts which want to adopt onto my car.

I would be grateful if a photoshop pro can draft a pic of what my car would look like with the above stated mods and the pics that are below.

Your opinion comments and suggestions are excitedly anticipated.

Attached Thumbnails Help me prepare my car for the best of show car-blk96gs.jpg  

Last edited by bush96lex; 05-25-03 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-25-03, 03:13 PM
bush96lex
Driver School Candidate

Default The skirts

These are the skirts I desire from Quest Power, aren't they beautiful. Help me get more information on them and find a source please. The website www.quest-power.com is not very helpful.
Attached Thumbnails Help me prepare my car for the best of show car-gen1_aristo_qp.jpg  

Last edited by bush96lex; 05-25-03 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-25-03, 03:17 PM
bush96lex
Driver School Candidate

Post The Rims

These are the rims my heart is set on rigth now, cant you just imagine how beautiful they would look in gold on a jet black GS300.
Attached Thumbnails Help me prepare my car for the best of show car-sportivamodena.jpg  
Old 05-25-03, 03:22 PM
bush96lex
Driver School Candidate

Default The eyelids and the grill

This is the grill and eyelids i would like to get I am toying with the idea of getting the grill with the chrome lining and plating it gold let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails Help me prepare my car for the best of show car-black-gs.jpg  
Old 05-25-03, 03:24 PM
bush96lex
Driver School Candidate

Default The seats

I like what this guy has done to his seats i migth go with this idea.
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-03, 03:38 PM
bush96lex
Driver School Candidate

Default The Ligths

Imagine ligths this crystal clear with the background housing in black.
Attached Thumbnails Help me prepare my car for the best of show car-7arisuto.jpg  
Old 05-25-03, 05:51 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

You should clear your front corners first of all. Then get some 19's like my car, get a titanium tint with the same shade all around, replace your emblems to silver, and finally I wouldn't suggest you paint it 24 karat gold. Majority of people on CL say that gold emblems don't match and look so 80' ish..

Bryan
Old 05-25-03, 10:20 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: The Ligths

Originally posted by bush96lex
Imagine ligths this crystal clear with the background housing in black.
haha. i have that. southersungs will post pics tonight. also there is a thread a few threads down with my crappy camera. but good pics are coming soon.
Old 05-25-03, 10:23 PM
Wald GS

They will be up as soon as family members leave my house and I take pics of my HID's at night...
Old 05-25-03, 10:29 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

if you got a chance just send all the pics or all the good pics to me and i'll readjust them. just e-mail it to me. Jmai22@socal.rr.com. and just leave your comp on while its sending and go back downstairs and do watever.
Old 05-27-03, 08:37 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Hey man, welcome to the board. If you want info on your car, this is the place!

About your goal, Best of Show is a worthy aspiration, but probably out of reach with the simple mods you listed. In order for your car to be Best of Show (at a big show like Import Expo, H.I.N., etc...), you have to go REALLY nuts. You'll need to take your car off the road for a LONG time and probably never drive it again. Most BOS cars aren't driveable and don't even have fluids in the motor. Thats why I don't go crazy, I hate the thought of not driving my car.

You'll need to build the motor with a turbo. It better look perfect as well, painted, chromed, polished and perfectly clean. No heat tarnish, all accessories color matched, hoses perfect (or replaced with steel braiding). The transmission will need to be cleaned and probably painted. Gold tailpies won't cut it, you will need full exhaust.

The engine compartment must be spotless and freshly painted. All of the wiring should be run neatly and cleanly. Attention needs to be given to the battery tray, A/C, Brake Cylinder, washer reservoir, radiator, intercooler for the turbo, fuse panel and everything else under the hood. (Including the underside of the hood!)

With the exterior you planned, you have a good start. You will need to get the BEST painter around to do your work. You can't afford to have ANY blemishes in the paint, especially with black. Remeber, you are judged on a complete car so while your painting, plan on doing the engine compartment at the same time and maybe even the underside of the car. The Quest kit you mentioned is sweet, extremely hard to find, which is perfect. You want something obscure that only the elite of the car world will recognize. For example, the head judge at Import Expo last year in Houston stopped to ask where I got my foglights because they weren't US spec fogs, he recognized a Japanese set. Subtleties are what will set you apart. The gold may not be your best choice as it has become passe in the Car Show world, but, if it is done right...maybe you can pull it off.

Have you found a source for the grille yet? It is a TTE (Toyota Europe) grille and if you can find it it will be expensive. I want one as well so if you get any info on it please let me know.

As for rims, there are many factors. If you really want to wow people, you need to spend a ton on rims. Get a good brand. HRE, R/H, Enkei, etc... You will pay alot. The HREs I want are $1300 each for 20s. It sucks, but if you want to be serious, it is a necessity.

Your suspension will need to be perfect both functionally and visually. You should replace your fender wells. Your springs perfectly clean as well as your shocks/struts/bags/coil-overs, etc... Your brake rotors should be upgraded and spotless. Calipers spotless.

Your interior will have to be upgraded. (BTW, I'm glad you liked my interior.) You must integrate a complete I.C.E. package into it with full audio/video. Heck, add a computer that you can say you use to adjust the turbo. Everything about this must scream class and flash.

The headlight mod is a good idea with your car, any other color and I would think twice.

All the above is just a start. I have friends whose cars have disappeared for 2 and 3 years to have work done. A BOS takes time and money...LOTS of money. I hope that you do continue on this path. You will have all of our support. Good luck.

Todd Dalton - 1995 Lexus GS300
MB Quart Competition Team
Enkei Wheels Select Show Team
Team Toyo
Katzkin Leather Show Team
USACi Sound Quality Texas State Champion 2002
Old 05-27-03, 11:56 AM
Wald GS

wow. Rico's Revenge basically spilled the beans. That is alot of hard work. wow
Old 05-27-03, 07:53 PM
BLKCISCO
Driver

Hey Rico, way to sum it up in a nut shell. It takes a lot of work to win best of show, but if you can afford it bush go for it.

Last edited by BLKCISCO; 05-27-03 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-28-03, 08:08 PM
bush96lex
Driver School Candidate

Default Rico

Yow Rico thanks for your input I really appreciate it I think your interior is really hot and i know it will take a while to build a show car and i am prepared not to drive the car much when i am done, its already not my daily driver. But i really need help finding the quest power kit can anyone help please.
Old 05-28-03, 09:05 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

One other note... if you hope to get any magazine coverage, do not paint the car black. Unless the car is absolutely over the top crazy, most magazines will do little more than a "readers rides" type of feature on the car.

The reason? Black buries the lines of the car, and hides modifications like body kits, grilles, etc. I'm not knocking anyone with a black car- they are beautiful... in person. They just are not particularly camera friendly, or attention-getting when seen in ink.

This is why all of the Fast & Furious cars are wild colors- to get your attention (check out 2Fast2Furious to see the HRE Wheels-equipped Nissan Skyline R34 !!).

Anyway, best of luck with the project! The guys here are very sharp on the first-gen cars- I love the body style (my brother has one with 19" HRE 448R wheels), use them as a resource and a guide. This is a car that really shines with a few careful modifications. (Gold trim & stripes, really? Oh yeah, you're in Texas... sorry!)

BTW, one of my dear friends works for CEC, the North American TTE importer (I worked for CEC once upin a time). Perhaps I can source the first-gen grilles, if they are still available.

Regards,
Bob

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 05-28-03 at 09:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Help me prepare my car for the best of show car