GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

1st Gen 95 GS300 Sun/Moonroof Windows, Power Seats, Auto Headlight Sensor NOT WORKING

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-18, 11:58 AM
DeanWeen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st Gen 95 GS300 Sun/Moonroof Windows, Power Seats, Auto Headlight Sensor NOT WORKING

Mods/Admin/People in charge of redundancy on this site,

PLEASE DON'T HANG ME FOR THIS BUT HONESTLY THIS IS A TIP OF MY HAT TO CLUB LEXUS!
At the same time this is a specific link to the info I found on this site so that Gen 1 GS300 guys will be able to quickly diagnose and fix this issue without knowing anything about the similarities with the SC300 and the GS300!!! The link I found was actually for an SC in the correct year or at least the correct year range, i.e. 1st Gen SC"---" vehicle. Which after spending some time on this forum I've learned a lot about my vehicle slowly, but surely... I especially would never have picked the SC300 as being the Lexus vehicle that is most like my car in any aspect except the basics of the motor i.e. block, oil pan, pistons, possibly the intake but that was a surprise to me!! It's a little bad *** 2 door sports car looking Lexus that in the 1st Gen series had the same 2JZ-GE motor it seems. Instead I would have compared it to possibly the more mid sized ES300 that although being FWD (I believe please don't crucify me if I am wrong) in lots of ways, especially when you see one in the same color scheme as mine Pearl White w/ Silver-ish on the bottom third of the car. Please forgive me for #1 not knowing the names or color codes or WORSE YET #2 not correctly calling out the parts of the auto body itself. Given five minutes to sit in silence and/or thirty seconds on Google I could remember and/or come up with both but you know what I'm talking about and right now that's all that counts. Possibly the LS because it too had a Gen 1 that existed early on and it, like mine I believe, is also rear wheel drive but apparently the two cars that I just mentioned had very little if anything similar to the GS300 at least years '93-'97 (all of you lifetime "Clubbers" or hardcore Lexster's are rolling your eyes but hey I learned most every bit of this S#!* here, and for that I thank you... So the meat of this long (already) post...

Was re-connecting my car's battery (Gen 1 GS300, 1993-1997), as I was tightening down the positive nut the wrench slipped out of my hand and I'm sure more than one of me can relate to this: The wrench landed squarely upon both poles of the battery. Sparks everywhere! Slow motion... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...….!!!! So I immediately thought of the worst possible outcomes. So I got in the car and turned the key to start and it turned over and fired right up! Whew.. The worst of my fears was not to come true today. Later I found out the it was just the 2nd worst of my fears that I actually set in motion. We happened to be installing 2nd Gen GS seats into my '95 and were just past testing the wiring when I realized that the drivers seat which was still the OG factory seat would not move at all and of course neither would the other one which was from the other car. So then I try to roll up the windows to check my situation (since it was 110 degrees I had rolled down all the WINDOWS and opened the SUNROOF/MOONROOF and pointed a big fan at us).. It was getting around dusk at that time and I discovered when I started the car to try more options that the lights weren't working so I decided I had to drive home RIGHT THEN since my house is in FAR SOUTH AUSTIN and I was in Southwest Austin actually Oak Hill for the locals here. I quickly realized that it wasn't my lights all together, it was in fact my HEADLIGHT SENSORS so I didn't have to speed home. I could still turn on headlights so on my way back I call my girl.. I"I'm flying home baby doll I know I promised to take you out to dinner , but I'm going to hit Auto Zone on my way... Please do a search of Google while I drive so I don't have to kill myself doing it. She did and turned up a few things about the LS400 that I didn't realize was about a different car until I got my hopes up. I was about to start looking for a relay under the dash but then I noticed it was a CL Forum thread and the top said 1st Gen LS400 (I think) Anyway. I voice to text her (VTT) that it's for another car, and to please keep trying.. I'm scooting along in a rush because the quicker I can take care of this the less I'm going to be freaking out!
Next comes a text with a link to YET ANOTHER CL page and I click on it, wondering if she paid attention. She did but this one was about an SC300 but she spotted that it had GS300 in the tags... So I found the culprit, of course I bet 90% of you 1GS3 guys can tell everybody what it was and knew the problem before I ever even started getting to the conclusion right!!?? It's the little pink rectangular fuse under the dash. We had checked all of the other blade type ATO/ATC fuses and they were all good. It turned out to be that PINK RECTANGULAR "FMX" FUSE (IS WHAT BUSSMAN CALLS IT ANYWAY) That might just be the name of the one I got which was all the 30A ones they had but this one does the LIGHT UP WHEN BURNED OUT b.s. so that it's easy to spot a burned out fuse.. If you ask me it's a great idea considering even looking at fuses I never truly trust one until I do a continuity test and that's not totally accurate 100% of the time either.. So the moral of the story..

WINDOWS, SUNROOF / MOONROOF, POWER SEATS, HEADLIGHT SENSORS STOPPED WORKING all at the same time... IN YOUR 93-97 LEXUS GS300.. REPLACE THE 30 AMP FUSE IN THE FUSEBOX BY DRIVERS LEFT LEG.

HERE IS A WHOLE SET THAT INCLUDES THIS FUSE ON THE NAPA WEBSITE. I COULDN'T FIND THE INDIVIDUAL 30 AMP FIUSE ON THE FLY BUT AT LEAST NOW YOU CAN SEE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE. IT'S LONG AND RECTANGULAR IN ALL DIRECTIONS PRETTY MUCH. PINK WITH A CLEAR SEE THRU WINDOW ON TOP. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7822136
Mine was a total beast to pull out but that might have been because it had never been changed and I possibly welded it in there with my battery short "snafu"

SO... Sorry guys if my long **** story was a bummer to read but it WILL help somebody else one day who is not sure and needs it. It's about to rain and they did the same thing I did and had every window on their entire vehicle open including the MOONROOF! I can say thanks again though because you all had my back! I did find the solution in under 30 minutes time and that was searching Google not just the CL Forum!!

Last edited by DeanWeen; 06-25-18 at 12:04 PM. Reason: didn't add tags
Old 06-26-18, 09:45 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 189 Posts

glad you got it fixed.
The following users liked this post:
DeanWeen (09-13-18)