GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Reverse Polarity / Battery install nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-18, 10:16 PM
joeJoeKing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse Polarity / Battery install nightmare

LOL new subscriber and thank you before hand I have learned a lot just by reading Publix posts but now I’m a full-fledged member :-). I purchased a 1995 GS 300 from a gentleman who had previously try to sell it to another gentleman brought a battery to start it as it was sitting for several months before attempted to purchase. He brought a battery that was a reverse set up (Terminals opposite to what the car required) . On shorting the terminals the seller could not start. Set for several months and I purchased a very discounted price. Now going through and trying to fix the problems I have checked all the relays all blade fuses and replaced the hundred amp main fuse. Also I have come to find out it was in need of a starter (assuming it zapped it on installing erroneously) which I replaced and Also have found the alternator is no longer charging ( zapped ?) Although the alternator is not charging I can run the vehicle start idle drive but have to manually operate shift lock override to get it into gear all with just battery power, but I still get no interior power except for dome lights and courtesy lights on the door I do have an airbag illumination a seatbelt in the cluster on the dash but nothing more. None of the windows with electrical controls or clock nor mirrors. The seats however do work. And the door locks to work none but of the other controls or Dash illum etc. they are all black. I have come to the conclusion that I should ask you guys first before I throw money at guesses but my gut instinct tells me it’s the ECM ... any thoughts would be appreciated thank you . Any one know if the relay management box ( green above interior fuse panel DS kick area ) could be the culprit since I’m not getting power to most lol of the interior controls switches and dash ?

Joe

Last edited by joeJoeKing; 10-02-18 at 10:22 PM. Reason: SPell check
Old 10-03-18, 07:46 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 197 Posts

Yes i would check all the fuses on the lower kick panel... Yeah if you hook up a battery backwards its going to blow out anything it can. It can even melt wiring... Really big issue. Can't believe anyone would just throw a battery connection on without verifying the positive or negative side.

Old 10-06-18, 06:08 PM
joeJoeKing
Driver School Candidate

Default Still :-/ cold sweats and night terrors

Thank you for your response and know that your information help me greatly in at least to send me in the right direction to start troubleshooting the right areas. I have deduced ( i’ll admit I don’t know very much about schematics ) That the power from the battery run through the hundred amp breaker should also be in direct line with the interior kit box fuse panel. Giving rhyme to reason that when the key is in the ACC position that the dash will light up as well as all of the other missing components to that the power from the battery running through the hundred amp breaker in direct line with the interior kit box fuse panel. Which makes complete sense because in the ACC position on the dash light up the controls for the climate should be active etc. I will attach a PDF if possible to the link in it you’ll find the schematics I have been using. I have replaced the relay Integration as well as ignition key switch located in the back of the ignition underneath the dash hoping that it was one of these keeping in mind my limited skills with schematics but after some consideration I’ve found everything that’s associated with the interior kick panel is not receiving power I removed the 30 amp fuse from that interior kick panel checked the fuse it had continue witty and checked the naked poles of that 30 amp fuse with a fuse out and while the car was running finding that had no power to the 30 amp fuse Terminals I just don’t know where to go from here. I’m not receiving any power to my interior panel and none of the associated components. I have replaced the starter as well as the alternator unfortunately I was unable to purchase a new alternator used was the only thing I could afford the time and in doing so was assured that the alternator was working previously. I am also not receiving any charge from the alt to the battery to get as much information as I can I’ll quickly go through some more symptoms ...it will not go into gear without the safety switch being depressed I have no turn signals but I do have headlights only have brights when I pull back on the lever no turn signals but I do have have running lights and brake lights. Dome light is good and door courtesy light s food door locks operate from the master switch but the window controls will not

any help would be appreciated are there any fusible links or hidden fuses I should know about? I did replace my ECU there was a large burn on one of the circuits but I Was lucky enough to find a same year same model same color at the pull apart I removed and inspected at time of removal and there was no visible damage no leaking diodes so I purchased it and it changed nothing just like the alternator just like ignition switch and the new relay integration, i was enough to find a same year same model same color at the pull apart I inspected at the time of removal and there was no visible damage no leaking Diodes so I purchased it installed and it changed nothing just like the alternator just like ignition switch and the new integration relay . I’m at my wits end and could use any help I could possibly get thanks for any help before and I will keep you up-to-date attached a picture of my fuse box from underneath the Hood hoping there might be something visible out of place because I had to re-install the fuse box after someone else had disassembled it and replace the hundred amp fuse. Thanks again

Last edited by joeJoeKing; 10-06-18 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Spell check
Old 10-06-18, 06:13 PM
joeJoeKing
Driver School Candidate

Default Siri🙄smh

apologies

feel free to pm me or call 4027060365
10/6/18
Old 10-06-18, 06:31 PM
joeJoeKing
Driver School Candidate

Default Pic of fuse box engine compartment

Fuse panel engine compartment
Old 10-07-18, 01:47 PM
joewitafro
Racer

have you changed out all of the blade fuses? Your 40A ABS fuse looks blown, which ties a lot of things together for power I believe.

It definitely couldve melted some wiring too between, but more likely to just blow the fuses. I do believe there is fuseable links at the kick panel near your feet.
Old 10-07-18, 01:59 PM
joeJoeKing
Driver School Candidate

Default I’ll check

All the blade fuses with a multimeter but I will double check the 40 a.m. thank you
Old 10-07-18, 03:38 PM
joeJoeKing
Driver School Candidate

Default I’m not sure what the fusible links look like

I’m not sure what the fusible links look like Help?
Old 10-07-18, 04:57 PM
joewitafro
Racer

From what I can see its just the medium power top left fuseable link 30A.
Old 10-08-18, 02:21 AM
joeJoeKing
Driver School Candidate

Default Fuseable link good

How are all of the fuses of been checked with the Lord take my old location. I do not have any power running through any of the fuses while the vehicle is running. I’m also not getting any charge for my alternator. Is there some safety measure the car implements when there is no back charge due to the alternator not supplying voltage back the the batt ? I have charged the battery to full and my limited knowledge I would think logically that at least At initial start up of the full battery everything would be receiving enough voltage to power everything at the appropriate levels. I just don’t understand why I’m not receiving any power to the fuse at the fusible link at the kick panel there are no at initial start up of the full battery everything would be receiving enough voltage to power everything at the appropriate levels. I just don’t understand why I’m not receiving any power to the fuse at the fusible link at the kick panel while running .

thanks again for your help, it is really appreciated . Definitely nice to haveSomebody to bounce ideas back-and-forth
Old 10-08-18, 03:26 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Whats your alternator fuse look like? 100A fuse, if it zapped your starter and alternator... most likely zapped that too.

I would start by replacing your alt and looking at those large fuses to see if they are blown.
Old 10-27-18, 07:39 AM
joeJoeKing
Driver School Candidate

Default Solved !!

So when I Purchase the car the gentleman that owned it before me had dealt with the initial reversed polarity instance had done some research on YouTube and thought his skill level enough to remove the fuse panel and replace the hundred amp fuse. But from what I can gather as he turned the fuse panel over there is a small white cap is the best thing I could call it but I believe it to be a relay as wel purchase the car the gentleman that owned it before me had dealt with the initial reverse polarity instants had done some research on YouTube and thought his skill level enough to remove the fuse panel and replace the hundred amp fuse. But from what I can gather as he turned the fuse panel over there is a small white Is the best thing I could collect but I believe it to be a relay that combines power at the junction that sounds from that point power to the interior views parks which I had no power at all. I was lucky enough to find her same year same model same everything first year in at the pool part and took the whole fuse panel home with me thinking I could replace it and see if that was my problem as I begin to install it I recognize the Was there and immediately I knew that before we set up small head scratching frustrating money absorbing Minuscule item that was forgotten. So thank you for all your help everyone I do appreciate it and I wish you all the best
Old 10-27-18, 11:40 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Glad you got it fixed!!