GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Bad Gas Mishap (not me, the CAR!!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-03, 07:15 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Gas Mishap (not me, the CAR!!)

Just wanted to share my experience that occured last week while I was away on vacation. I bought some gas at a low ball chain, (Crown), and parked the car. I got up the next day to go get lunch and when I left to get on the highway, the car DIED on the on ramp. The car would not restart after this. All it was do is crank, turn over, and instantly TURN OFF! I had to have Roadside come and get me and tow me to the nearest dealership.

the next day the tech said the car started right up and they found no problems! I added some fuel system cleaner like the told me to and drove 800miles without mishap.

Just thought I would share.
Old 08-08-03, 07:49 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually get Texaco or Shell but I got Fina yesterday. So for no probs. That's weird; it just shutting off like that. Like your sig.
Old 08-08-03, 07:56 AM
BlazeGS3
Rookie

I'm new on this board (just bought a 95 GS3) but not new to autos. If you have the choice, Chevron has proven to me over and over again to be superior in octane and in the chemical additives. I have a twin turbo Z which is obviously sensitive to octane, and the common consensus of Z owners is that Chevron consistently delivers better gas and the additives generally work better. I could go on about why, but I doubt many would care.

Just my .02c.

Blaze
Old 08-08-03, 08:07 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Piano- thanks for sig compliment, I'M A SUPASTAR!! lol. I thought the cutting off was funny too, but the tech said, although it is VERY rare, he has seen it occur before.

Blaze- welcome to the board, if you bought your GS thinking it would be a nice everyday car while you mod your Z like crazy, I HAVE BAD NEWS. Club Lexus is a known carrier of the MOD BUG, soon to infect you!!!
Old 08-08-03, 08:18 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, welcome to the board. Oh I was thinking DGOT who knows what that bad gas did to your fuel filter. You might want to replace it for piece of mind.
Old 08-08-03, 02:52 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Damn, sorry to hear that D... I'm gonna have to agree with Blaze, though... Chevron is definitely one of the best. I would say it IS the best, but lately I've been trying this new Shell gasoline they've been advertising... and I actually did notice slightly better mileage. Still, it's not enough to make me use it exclusively, but worth a try nonetheless. Anybody ever seen an engine after it's gotten the Techron treatment. I saw some pics from this guy who was having problems with his Porsche engine... sticky valves or some bad gas damage type thing... so he tried Chevron as a temporary fix... he said he noticed a difference, but decided to take out the head, anyway, just to check it out...The engine had over 100K miles on it and those valves looked clean as new... now that's some damn good stuff.
Old 08-08-03, 03:31 PM
JZS14SEVEN
Driver

how is "Unocal 76" on the mainland?

in Honolulu, Hawaii..
-Unocal 76 makes the most power
-Chevron is cleanest
-Shell is closer to Unocal than Chevron

no summer/winter blends for us i'm pretty sure
Old 08-11-03, 11:25 AM
BlazeGS3
Rookie

Thanks for the welcomes. A few other notes in regards to those advertisements and valves. I use Chevron exclusively in my Z after having detonation issues with Exxon and Texaco gas. That said, it does not work wonder. I rebuilt my Z engine 6 months ago, and at the time there was considerable carbon buildup on the back of the valves which is entirely normal. I didn't have valve seal issues at all though - carbon only built up on the areas that don't touch anything. That engine build had some issues however (offset pistons installed incorrectly) and I just pulled the engine again 3 weeks ago. Again, I only use Chevron Super Unleaded (93 octane) and once again carbon was accumulating on the back of the valves. This was after 8,000 miles of generally very easy driving on the freeway.

So, while I like Chevron and have spoken with some of their internal engineers about the additives they use, they are by no means a fix for valve carbonization. I do however believe their gas will likely accumulate less carbon than others.

Oh, the wonders of what you can learn from rebuilding engines. I however often wish I was ignorant in that regard.