GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

question about lowering 1st gen GS300

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-03, 12:27 AM
The Ju1ce
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about lowering 1st gen GS300

hey whatsup everyone,, ive always wanted a lexus and was finally lucky enough to find a 1994 GS 300 with low miles (59,000)!!!!!!!! as you can imagine i was stoked to find this car with this little miles so i immediatly bought it and put 10% all metal film mirrored tint on it and slapped some 20" diablo wheels on. Well now has come the time to get rid of that hideous gap between my tires and my fender. im thinking of going with the 1.7" intrax springs but here is my problem.....

in the front fenders at the back of the tire there is a little metal thing that sits above the tire (i would have liked to put something bigger than 20s on here but this thing prevents that)

i know my buddies say that thing will move up and down with my suspension, but it is literally like right above the back of my tires in the front and im afraid if i put the intrax springs on it will drop it onto the tire. anyway else have this worry or any problems with dropping a 1st gen. GS300. i really wanna order these springs and ive seen peoples 1st gens with the springs in them but i need to know for sure. sorry i have no pics i dont have a digital camera or else id show you exactly what im talking about,, but you guys know what piece im talking about at?!?!?

PLEASE EVERYONE POST AND GIMME OPINIONS + SUGGESTIONS!@#(!@&*
Old 08-29-03, 11:04 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

here is a link to my gallery, read my sig to see what mods i have. my car is a 96. That piece is for the upper control arm and it will NOT touch the tires. IMO once you put 20s on a first gen (or any car) YOU MUST lower it.

The Intrax/KYB setup rides like a dream on the highway, but it gets sharp over potholes and broken pavement when you have 35 series tires. when i took my old rims off to sell them, the car rode like a pillow with the factory rims.

BTW-how much larger of rim did you wanna put on your car 22s? 23s? 26s? Just kidding man enjoy your car, and drive safe.

96 GS300 with 20' wheels and 1.75" Springs/struts

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 08-29-03 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-30-03, 02:20 AM
The Ju1ce
Driver

thank you pimp juice ---- but to answer your question after i put the 20s on and saw the gap i wanted to stuff 22s but its simply impossible. i like your car though man, it looks really clean. all my ricer friends wont stop hasseling me to get a body kit for my gs but i dont think they look good at all. i like a car that looks clean and classy. the only rice i like has teriyaki on top of it.

whats the cheapest you found the intrax springs? i got quoted $200 shipped by a local shop, thats the cheapest i found it.

- Steve

PS - pictures will be up soon!
Old 08-30-03, 06:30 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Thanks man, the gap is caused by larger wheels, when you lower the car the gap would disappear. Plus our cars are slow enough with the 20s, god forbid 22s!! you wouldnt be able to merge on the highway!!! LOL.

I got my springs about 1.5 years ago, and I fogot what I paid, but 200 sounds about right. Oh yeah, the Intrax settle to about a 1.9" drop btw. You should PM a guy named GS4Will and ask him if Tein or JIC makes springs for our cars, I think they would be slightly better quality! Plus you get to tell people you have JDM suspension parts!

Good luck

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 08-30-03 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-30-03, 06:56 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Dang.,,

you were actually thinking of putting 22"s!! No man don't do it....you car will look like a freakin' SUV and I know your intentions aren't to go off-roading either!! *lol* I'm glad you decided to go with 20"s and drop it. It'll look so sweet!!!

My GS on 20"s

Old 09-02-03, 12:19 AM
The Ju1ce
Driver

you guys have any problems with the ride? any scrapage when you got a full ride? anything at all?
Old 09-02-03, 07:18 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Hmmm...

No issues with rubbing here, of course I had my rear fenders rolled. And I'm running 285's in the rear. I've had my car packed with about 6 people once...still no rubbing, if you get wheels with proper offsets and decide to drop it you should be alright.

Regards,

-Seize
Old 09-02-03, 09:04 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

My old wheels where 38 or 40 offset and they would only rub the plastic fender liner when I reversed with the wheel cut. Now my Dronnels are 35 offset and they rub it a little more. Nothing major, just the tire slightly touching plastic. As for the back, NO PROBLEMs and like Seize, I have loaded my car with some full sized people, subs, and luggage!
Old 09-06-03, 03:32 PM
The Ju1ce
Driver

sweet you guys are macks

as soon as my lazy *** gets these pictures developed ill show you my car so you can see what im working with. i bought the diablo vienna wheels so i could put the spinners on them, hopefully that will happen before the end of this month along with the intrax springs. i cannot stand looking at this gap another minute so that will definately come first.

you guys got the extra wood kit for the inside? im thinking about just buying a flat dash kit cause all the places where the wood would go looks to be indented anyway
Old 09-15-03, 11:09 PM
The Ju1ce
Driver

Default ordered springs today

-----------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------

well i ordered my springs today (monday 9/15) and hopefully ill have them on by the end of the week. ill have before and after pictures then too im just waiting to lower it before i take the rest of the pics on the cam. MY QUESTION IS....................

anyone have any camber issues after lowering it? i ordered the intrax springs and i know i will need to get an allignment quickly, but hoping i dont have to shell out dough for a camber kit. ANYONE HAVE ANY CAMBER ISSUES?!?!?!?!?!?!??!
Old 09-15-03, 11:42 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Default Re: question about lowering 1st gen GS300

Originally posted by The Ju1ce
hey whatsup everyone,, ive always wanted a lexus and was finally lucky enough to find a 1994 GS 300 with low miles (59,000)!!!!!!!! as you can imagine i was stoked to find this car with this little miles so i immediatly bought it and put 10% all metal film mirrored tint on it and slapped some 20" diablo wheels on. Well now has come the time to get rid of that hideous gap between my tires and my fender. im thinking of going with the 1.7" intrax springs but here is my problem.....

in the front fenders at the back of the tire there is a little metal thing that sits above the tire (i would have liked to put something bigger than 20s on here but this thing prevents that)

i know my buddies say that thing will move up and down with my suspension, but it is literally like right above the back of my tires in the front and im afraid if i put the intrax springs on it will drop it onto the tire. anyway else have this worry or any problems with dropping a 1st gen. GS300. i really wanna order these springs and ive seen peoples 1st gens with the springs in them but i need to know for sure. sorry i have no pics i dont have a digital camera or else id show you exactly what im talking about,, but you guys know what piece im talking about at?!?!?

PLEASE EVERYONE POST AND GIMME OPINIONS + SUGGESTIONS!@#(!@&*
What did you end up paying for the car Ju1ce? thx

Last edited by Wald GS; 09-15-03 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-16-03, 12:02 AM
The Ju1ce
Driver

$14,500 before tax + licensing

but your car looks lowered,,,, did you go with intrax?? did you have any camber issues??
Old 09-16-03, 03:59 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Camber is not much of an issue, if you go to a good alignment shop that has the new machine with the lasers (those boards that attach to your wheels, then the machine shoots a laser at it to test alignment). If I were you, I would find a shop that is geared towards lowered cars, as it took me 2 times and over 10-15 hours to get mine the way I wanted (this included waiting room time). but now I think I'm like at the -1.5 or less on all four tires now.

It gonna cost you about 130-140 for the alignment, good luck
Old 09-16-03, 06:52 AM
Mischievious GS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by The Ju1ce
sweet you guys are macks

as soon as my lazy *** gets these pictures developed ill show you my car so you can see what im working with. i bought the diablo vienna wheels so i could put the spinners on them, hopefully that will happen before the end of this month along with the intrax springs. i cannot stand looking at this gap another minute so that will definately come first.

you guys got the extra wood kit for the inside? im thinking about just buying a flat dash kit cause all the places where the wood would go looks to be indented anyway
you're going the same route i went when i first bought my car. i got my diablo vienna rims first, my eibach/kyb setup second, and a dash kit third .

heres my take on some of the things you're going to be doing to your car. just a little heads up on the things you might encounter while tinkering with your baby .

with the diablo rims, you're probably running the same thing i had. a 20"x8.5" rim with a +38 offset. personally, i love the way the rims sits with the car, but the rear could look a little better with a 20"x9.5" or 10". i was running the eibach/kyb setup which is the setup most of the ppl have here. with the springs, i got a two finger gap in the front, and a two/three finger gap in the rear. its not the most appealing drop, but it was noticable. the ride was really nice. not stock nice, but probably the best ride you're going to get with a dropped car. also, the 35 series tires will add to the roughness of the ride. i've heard from someone that has cut two turns from the eibach springs that the ride quality was still "close to stock" when he did it. his car was LOW . like scraping speed bumps low, but he was running his stock 16" rims. i personally did not sit in his car, so I can't testify how true that statement is, but he seemed happy with it. as for my experience with the diablo rims, i don't really have an issue with the rims itself. for a "knockoff" rim, its doing pretty well. i do have an issue with the company itself though. the customer support for diablo is the worse i've ever seen. i can't stand to be jerked around by a company that can't hire competent employees . as soon as i find another set of rims i like, i'm going to get rid of these rims.

with the springs, i've read in numerous posts that the intrax springs are junk. the general consensus about intrax is that they make crappy springs period. you can read some of the past reviews here.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=intrax

off the top of my head right now (and a little help from hyperrev ), there are a list of companies that make suspension parts for the 1st gen.

SPRINGS
Eibach (US) (1.2"-1.25")
Intrax (US) (1.7"-1.9")
RS-R (JPN) (1"-1.2")
JIC Magic (JPN) (1.8"-1.9")
Espelir (JPN) (1.6"-1.8")
Tein (JPN)
Sustec (JPN)
Wald (JPN)
Bestex (JPN)
HKS (JPN)
Apex (JPN)

COILOVERS
Tein (JPN)
Cusco (JPN)
Zeal (JPN)
Reckless (JPN)
I.MEC (JPN)
NPG (JPN)
Section (JPN)
Junction Produce (JPN)
Nishiki (JPN)
HKS (JPN)
Bilstein (JPN)
Ohlins (JPN)
Sard (JPN)
GAB (JPN)
Quantum (JPN)

finding some of these brands is a different question. i now have the tein ha's on my car, and the adjustablity is great. the ride on the other hand is alot more stiff and sportslike than the eibach's. i now have my car sitting with a 1 finger gap on all four corners, and it's fine for me. i'd rather take it to NO gap, but my driveway asks me if i'd like to keep my front bumper . you could be different and slap some airbags on that thing and tell us how the ride is .

with the dash kit, i did a write up about a company i've dealt with, and the kit that i went with. heres the thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=56716 . i got quoted about $250 to have some guy strip the clear coat on all four pieces where the window/door switches are and have him dye the wood to match the color of the dash kit. the only problem with this was that the burl wouldn't match the burl on the kit. i ended up just having my friend spray the four pieces the same color as the car .

and the camber on your car shouldn't be too bad. nothing that will make your car undrivable, but you should get your wheels realigned as soon as possible. if you don't, your tires will probably show some wear on the insides after a year or so of driving. spending $70+ now will save you from spending $2000 on tires a year down the road . i don't know about where you live, but not too many places have machines that will align a 20" rim. most big shops here have machines that will only fit 17" rims. you'll be better off calling shops that deal with modified cars.
Old 09-16-03, 07:11 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Mischievious GS
Eibach (US) (1.2"-1.25")
Intrax (US) (1.7"-1.9")
RS-R (JPN) (1"-1.2")
JIC Magic (JPN) (1.8"-1.9")
Espelir (JPN) (1.6"-1.8")
Tein (JPN)
Sustec (JPN)
Wald (JPN)
Bestex (JPN)
HKS (JPN)
Apex (JPN)
I dont have any compliants about the Intrax, my ride is great on the highway, but a little knobbly on the city streets, because of my 35 series tires. When I put my stock wheels on to sell my ghetto dubs, the car rode like a cloud!!

That being said, if I knew about CL in 2002 when I got my springs, I would probably be riding on some Tein or Espelirs!!

The Espelirs on the second Gen are said to ride like stock!

Oh year, the reason my alignment was 140 was because I found a shop that had the new machine that can do up to 22 or 24" rims!!

Quick Reply: question about lowering 1st gen GS300