Buying 1994 Lexus GS300 - 188K Miles - White on Gray

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-20, 01:57 PM
RM4Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying 1994 Lexus GS300 - 188K Miles - White on Gray

Hello Lexus Fans,

I wanted to reach out and touch base. I haven't been on this as much as I should - I have 5 Lexus/Toyota vehicles... this will be the 6th I think. A quick inventory of what is in the stable and why I am chasing the "Supra Sedan."

Current Garage:
1990 Lexus LS400 - 74K miles - White & Gray two-tone
1990 Lexus ES250 - 64K miles - White & Gray two-tone
1997 Lexus LX450 - 244K miles - White & Gray two-tone
1986 Toyota Van LE with ice-maker - 74K miles - Light Brown on Dark Brown two-tone
2019 Lexus LC500 - 7K miles - White

Buying: 1994 Lexus GS300 - 188K miles - White & Gray two-tone... I am sure you all see a pattern here .

I just checked on the Lexus and it is priced at $3995. I mean it really isn't a lot and the car is not in supreme shape.... but in a year or so - it will be up to the mark. A few things that I wanted to ask and mention and if you would all be so kind so I could gauge your thoughts:
1. Never driven or owned a 2JZ engine vehicle.... the car seems to need a lead foot - compared to my LS400 which has V8 prowess and is effortless off the line....
2. Feels heavier than the LS400
3. Has the gold package - not a fan - but if they are there - where can I go to have them reconditioned? The gold emblems and such?
4. The interior noise is much more than my ES250 or LS400... on par with my LX450 / Landcruiser. Is this normal?
5. Trunk strut was off it's rocker... and water seeped in when the car was sitting in the lot - the rear spare tire and carpets got drenched and not sure what all else is back there that I should have looked at before I commit?
6. Burning smell after test drive....
7. Wood trim from center shift bezel is well.... GONE. I will have to source from junkyard or eBay Motors etc. Can't find it yet... anyone have one ? Maple
8. Center cluster gauges do not light up as evenly as the LS400... they seem dim on some hash marks in the tachometer, and then brighter on some numbers.... common? Can I replace the bulbs and keep the OEM look? I am an OEM guy - so not here to rocket ship this little car.
9. Lessons learned from the 2JZ... what I should be aware of ?
10. Immediate catch- up maintenance that is needed? I pulled the history of this car from Lexus Drivers... and the last time it was at Lexus was at 30K miles for it's last service... so the rest of the 150K miles were local repair shops. Trying to get records by trying to find out the older gentleman who trader her in.
11. Tires have good depth - but they are some bargain brand... with my Lexus I stick to Conti's or Bridgestone for a quieter ride. So that may ease up the road noise. Was the GS known to be louder than it's other ES, LS and SC brethren of this era?

Last Q - that is all I got for now.... and I know you all have been kind to read all of this - but for $3995... it's a cash car and then I will have to build her back to what she can be. I think the 2JZ motor has at least a good 500K miles .

Thank you all

Some photos of the rig:

Old 02-26-20, 06:36 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

Your photos didn't work but that car seems rather expensive for not being immaculate. I just saw a GTE swapped 2GS for 4995.

1) For power, yes the stock 2jz-ge is a little gutless which is why so many go for the 2jzgte route. I think stock you're like 180rwhp.
2) curb weight is 3805 compared to 3759lbs for the 90 LS400, so its a little heavier with a weaker motor.
3) Most people swap for the chrome emblems, so I've never heard of reconditioning the gold emblems, but it looks like there are gold plating services that do this. (example:
)
4) Interior noise is generally only high when the window seals are having issue, tire selection or ball joints/bushings worn.
5) Rear trunk has the amplifier and 6 CD changer in the right hand side. If the trunk filled with water, these are ruined.
6) There should be no burning smells..
7) Keep checking ebay or join the GS300 groups on facebook to help your search they seem way more popular than forums nowadays.
8) Center cluster bulb issues are extremely common along with needle's going out. You can replace all the bulbs with LED's but the needles are more difficult, There used to be a sponsor on the forum that did this service.
9) 2jzge main issues include getting oil in the spark plug galleys from a leaking valve cover seal, someone getting coolant in the spark plug galley when trying to change spark plugs if they disconnected the throttle body because its' coolant fed, and the idle control valve which likes to gunk up over time and cause some issues. Beyond this, just vacuum leaks.
10) Timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, idler pulley & tensioner.. and lower ball joints!!
11) No the GS wasn't known to be any louder than the others. Its' a luxury sedan as well.

Good luck! Lets see the photos!
The following users liked this post:
RM4Lexus (02-27-20)
Old 02-27-20, 02:17 PM
RM4Lexus
Driver School Candidate

@joewitafro - Thanks so much for getting back to me. Yes we are closing in on the Lexus and I am attaching photos of the car. It is literally my only Lexus model with gold badging... and as tacky as that looks in today's day - it suits the car. Let me see how I can figure out how to attach images. I was trying earlier... and it was not working !

Thanks !

Old 02-27-20, 08:33 PM
joewitafro
Racer

press the photo "upload" icon and you can drag and drop them from your computer to upload them to the forum. Or you can host them on an image website such as imgur and use the img link like so: "[img]yourimgurlhere.jpg[/img]" without quotation marks.
Old 02-27-20, 09:30 PM
RM4Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Old 02-28-20, 12:58 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Those emblems are so gold it makes me feel they've been re-plated. Rear end looks very clean, Hows the rest of the car?