GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

1993 gs300 speakers need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-20, 11:24 AM
2JZGTZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1993 gs300 speakers need help

Hey guys this is my first post and I’ve searched this problem and couldn’t find anything. I was sitting in my car no music playing then I hear the driver door speaker make a pop noise then I played music to see what it was and now all the speakers in the car are very Low volume. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. Before this the speakers worked fine and sounded amazing. There’s no distortion in the sound it’s just really low volume even at full volume.
Old 03-07-20, 04:37 AM
2JZGTZ
Driver School Candidate

I did more research since I was having trouble finding anything and I found that a lot of people have trouble with the factory amp and apparently had to bypass it in order to hook up aftermarket speakers which is looking like my only option. I’m not really the type to want to take anything apart to do wiring because putting it all back together is a pita. But I do have someone who knows how to do things like this and I will have him take a look at it to see what he can do. When I go to him and If he fixes it I will make sure to take pictures of what he does to wire in an aftermarket radio and potentially a sub so that anyone else in the future with this problem won’t have to keep looking for a solution
Old 03-07-20, 04:50 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

check your fuses
Old 03-07-20, 06:35 AM
2JZGTZ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by joewitafro
check your fuses
thank you for the suggestion. This is a dumb question because I literally just got this car not even 2 months ago but from what I can tell, are the fuses in the engine compartment? And also idk if that would be it because yesterday the same thing happened with the pop noise on the driver door and when I went to turn on the music it played normal volume again briefly (I’m talking like 3 seconds) so to me that seems like a wiring issue. But again thank you for the suggestion I will check that out ASAP
Old 03-07-20, 06:36 AM
2JZGTZ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2JZGTZ
thank you for the suggestion. This is a dumb question because I literally just got this car not even 2 months ago but from what I can tell, are the fuses in the engine compartment? And also idk if that would be it because yesterday the same thing happened with the pop noise on the driver door and when I went to turn on the music it played normal volume again briefly (I’m talking like 3 seconds) so to me that seems like a wiring issue. But again thank you for the suggestion I will check that out ASAP
sorry but I forgot to mention after it played normal for 3 seconds it went back to LOW volume
Old 03-10-20, 01:21 AM
joewitafro
Racer

The wiring of the speakers go through the door boots and have been known to break at that passthrough point. It sounds like that might be your issue if you heard a POP from your speaker as you moved the door.

Fuses have two locations, in the engine compartment and on the left kick panel of the drivers floorboard

Old 03-12-20, 06:40 AM
2JZGTZ
Driver School Candidate

The wiring of the speakers go through the door boots and have been known to break at that passthrough point. It sounds like that might be your issue if you heard a POP from your speaker as you moved the door.

Fuses have two locations, in the engine compartment and on the left kick panel of the drivers floorboard

The problem seems to be intermittent because now it’s only happening sometimes . I’ve noticed that when I leave the car off overnight in the morning it works again normally for a few minutes then the pop noise happens and the low volume kicks in. And now for the last two day it doesn’t even make the pop noise anymore and just works fine but I’m still trying to figure out what it could potentially be.
Old 03-12-20, 07:59 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Water getting into the boot on the right hand side where the amplifier is?
Old 03-12-20, 08:27 AM
2JZGTZ
Driver School Candidate

Water getting into the boot on the right hand side where the amplifier is?
I never thought of it but it did happen when it rained and then it hasn’t rained for a few days now so is it possible it dried up? If so before it rains again where would I have to look in order to see if it’s leaking into there/ how can I stop it from leaking?
Old 03-12-20, 08:32 AM
joewitafro
Racer

The drain from your sunroof goes through the sides of your trunk out right behind your tires, if it clogs up with debris and material the water will backfill causing your trunk to flood.. You can pull the carpeting out of the side and remove the drain plug to let the water out, as your amplifier is probably sitting in water and shorting itself out.
Old 04-09-20, 05:51 AM
s888
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi 2JZGTZ, I've had exactly the same problem after heavy rains in my GS. Water came to my trunk somehow and cause some shortcut inside my amplifier.
As You can see on wiring diagram, there is RED/WHITE wire for mute amplifier when stock old Cellular Phone is making call. That means there is mute circuit inside the amplifier.

GS300 Amplifier Mute Line

Unfortunately disconnecting this wire it doesn't help at all. Finally I have solve the problem inside my amplifier, by disconnecting TDA IC's mute lines on main board.
I did this few month ago and never had this problem again.
I don't remember where exactly cut this mute line, but if someone is interested I think I can take out my amplifier on the table someday and make some photos. Good luck!