GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

help 1993 gs300 turbo kit, egr delete, 5sp swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-21, 06:01 PM
soucytom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help 1993 gs300 turbo kit, egr delete, 5sp swap

so i just bought a stock 1993 gs300 with 200k miles on it. Ive been doing lots of reading and searching and still not too sure on what i should be planning on as far as parts list and stuff. im looking to delete the egr system and clean up the engine bay as much as possible and also add a turbo kit. found some good info on the egr delete with diagrams and such so i think I'm looking pretty good there but my trouble comes when thinking about adding a turbo. I've been looking between the cheap turbo kits from cx racing or drift works but what else in needed with these kits. boost controllers, gauges, tapped stud bolt for oil lines, head gasket, injectors, fuel pump? are all these needed? only looking to run maybe 8-9psi boost at the most. and then there's the 5spd swap....found some saying need manual ecu from an sc and other post saying you can use the stock auto ecu. any help or information would be great. thanks
Old 01-21-21, 12:08 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 189 Posts

There's a wealth of information on the non turbo 2jz-ge as it is shared with the supra and sc300 as far as NA-T goes. Check out Supraforums as well for heaps of knowledge. People have been doing NA-T conversions on the 2jz-ge for 20 years now. I would not recommend a Chinese turbo kit. A Brazilian SPA log manifold is fine though, and if you're looking for a "cheaper" turbo; i would look at Borg-Warner or a journal bearing turbo from precision or garrett rather than the more expensive ball bearing, billet wheel turbos.

The EGR delete is essentially buying two block off plates, one for the head and one for the manifold; removing all associated EGR components, installing block off plates; then re-routing vacuum lines to delete the EGR system and hook up what you need with no vacuum leaks. You have to take all those vacuum lines into account or its going to run like crap otherwise. Also there is a plunger in the intake manifold which is vacuum assisted called the ACIS (Acoustic control induction system) which helps increase low end torque and fuel economy by reducing plenum size. I recommend not deleting this and making sure the associated electrical and vacuum are left for it. For example here is what I did for my SC300; although depending on your car it may be a little different.

Adding a turbo onto a 200k mile motor is kind of risky if it hasn't been taken care of, but I would recommend doing the water pump and timing belt before.. the biggest issue lay with your 200k automatic transmission. You mentioned the 5-speed swap; and I kind of write the how-to on doing this already in my build thread. I really don't think I need to break down all the specifics again when that information is still available in the builds sub section. But shortly no, you do not need a manual ECU to run your motor with an automatic ECU.. you just need to wire in a neutral safety switch or bypass it. I've also outlined what pins and plug to do this.

As far as "what else" is needed for a turbo kit..

You need a manifold, gasket, most likely new shorter studs, drilling your oil pan for a return flange or installing a GTE pan, oil return line and associated fittings, oil feed line and associated turbo and block fittings (most likely tapping off the oil filter with a modified banjo bolt I believe), I recommend going to a 2jzgte head gasket to lower the compression some and ARP head studs at the same time. Then you need to increase your 330cc injectors; you could do what Ali SC3 did with the GTE ecu conversion, and either upgrading to jdm 440cc or usdm 550cc injectors but would need the associated mass air flow sensor/map sensor, upgraded fuel pump like a walbro 416 with 12v mod, fuel pressure regulator would be useful. Going stand-alone would be ideal but isn't necessary, but you shouldn't try to use the stock 2jzge ecu. You will also need a wideband like the AEM eugo to read your air fuel ratio, and a boost gauge is recommended.

This isn't a cheap swap, and if that is your goal I wouldn't do the turbo kit you're thinking about. An NA-T with manual transmission swap is easily 5-7 thousand in parts.
The following 2 users liked this post by joewitafro:
bigdaddygr (02-23-21), fll2atl (02-13-21)
Old 02-14-21, 01:37 AM
1JzLos
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go with a Sc300 auto diff that 4.27 Final Drive might go a long way with the Torque lol