GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Strut bar I am going to attempt to make....

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-03, 09:38 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut bar I am going to attempt to make....

Hey guys,

I really don't see why it is so hard to just buy a supra strut bar and have it modified. I live close to the City of Industry where there are alot of foundrys and welding shops.

I'm going to buy this supra strut bar, have them cut, and weld it so that it will fit my car. All this shouldn't cost more than 100.00. Let me know what you guys think...
Old 09-24-03, 09:40 PM
Wald GS

Sorry, I forgot the pics. This one will cost aroudn 60.00.
Attached Thumbnails Strut bar I am going to attempt to make....-strut2.jpg  
Old 09-24-03, 09:40 PM
Wald GS

This one will cost less than 30.00, but it looks too cheap..
Attached Thumbnails Strut bar I am going to attempt to make....-strut1.jpg  
Old 09-25-03, 04:20 AM
Mischievious GS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

honestly, if you're going to go that route, i'll tell you exactly how to make that fit .

it's pretty easy. no cutting, no welding. just find a place with a drill press, and have them re-drill new holes. when i first started putting my car together, i bought one of those that you see in the second pic off ebay that some guy was selling for the 1st gen. i think it was something like $90 shipped to hawaii. anyways, i found out that it was actually for a jza80 (MKIV Supra). i emailed the guy, but at the time, he was doing some shady things on ebay, and i thought that if i sent the bar back, i'd be out the bar, and the money. so i kept it and figured out that it fits our cars, but you would need to redrill the holes so it'll fit properly. after i had the holes redrilled, i added 3 washers on each bolt to raise the bar up a bit. the bar was touching the vacuum hoses on the intake manifold, and i was scared that when the bar gets hot, it would melt the hoses.

the only reason i see how this works is because there are nuts on both sides of the bar which allows the adjustment of the length. if you were to buy a fixed bar, i don't think this would apply. as for me, i took my bar off because i have my eye on another bar .
Old 09-25-03, 01:33 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It won't work

Sorry to burst your bubble but I ordered that exact same bar about 2 yrs ago with the same intention.Even if you do just drill the holes out, it won't clear the top of the motor.I also have to add that is the cheapest and worst built bar I have ever bought!You might as well not even put anything at all.I'm only telling you from my experiance.Thats why I had a bar custom made. By the time your done hacking up that bar it won't even be worth putting on.
Old 09-25-03, 03:38 PM
Mischievious GS
Intermediate

this pic was over a year ago...

Attached Thumbnails Strut bar I am going to attempt to make....-strut-bar-640.jpg  
Old 09-25-03, 04:07 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Default ?

It looks like you had to space the bar up, in order for it to fit.Doesn't that defeat the purpose?
Old 09-25-03, 04:09 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Default a second look..

It doesn't even appear to bolted down.That really defeats the purpose;wouldn't you think?Just cause it SITS on the engine doesn't mean it works.
Old 09-25-03, 04:47 PM
Wald GS

Interesting comments guys, thanks alot. Someone told me that if I were to hack up a DIY strutbar, the integrity of it would be at stake.

Mischievious,

Did you feel the strutbar working for you?

Thanks
Old 09-25-03, 05:16 PM
Mischievious GS
Intermediate

Default Re: a second look..

Originally posted by johnee78
It doesn't even appear to bolted down.That really defeats the purpose;wouldn't you think?Just cause it SITS on the engine doesn't mean it works.
the above post states i had to stick 3 washers on each bolt before the bar went on. that was because the vacuum lines were touching the bar. i've asked before if i used washers to raise the bar, would it defeat the purpose of stiffening the chassis. i've got mixed reports about it. honestly, i don't take my car to the track, nor do i take ridiculous turns at high speeds, so i wouldn't be able to tell you if the bar works. my main concern for the bar is that it looks good while providing some functionality, which is why i took it off, and opt for another bar.

Originally posted by LexAristo
Interesting comments guys, thanks alot. Someone told me that if I were to hack up a DIY strutbar, the integrity of it would be at stake.
just remember that the bar will only be as strong as your weakest point...which would probably the weld

Last edited by Mischievious GS; 09-25-03 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-25-03, 08:52 PM
Wald GS

Thanks Mischievious, I better stick to the DIY grill of mine. hehe
Old 09-26-03, 12:23 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

i tried fitting the trd strut tower brace frm newer gs300 before. the only problem wz the bar itself was a little long, about 2inches. the good thing was the holes actually matched the bolts on our cars and i think the only way this would work is to cut the bar both sides and weld it back until it actually sits right. might need to put some washers too in order to clear the hoses located on top of intake manifold.

i dont know is this will work but i sure hv not tried it yet.
Old 09-26-03, 09:33 PM
Wald GS

Originally posted by indypwr
i tried fitting the trd strut tower brace frm newer gs300 before. the only problem wz the bar itself was a little long, about 2inches. the good thing was the holes actually matched the bolts on our cars and i think the only way this would work is to cut the bar both sides and weld it back until it actually sits right. might need to put some washers too in order to clear the hoses located on top of intake manifold.

i dont know is this will work but i sure hv not tried it yet.
Come on Pat!! Try it and let us know what happens.