GS300 - 1995 - O2 Sensors replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-22, 08:41 AM
Tallawah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS300 - 1995 - O2 Sensors replacement

Hello people!

Have a question about O2 sensors, what are the solutions in particular. If I have to change the O2 sensors what are my options for this Gen 1 GS300.
OEM ones with flange are very expensive in my country in europe and hard to get. I am thinking about aftermarket ones, but had some info that aftermarket ones do not work with this vehicle. And also I need a flange/adapter for them.

Maybe somebody here actually changed them to aftermarket ones? If so, what kind/brand? Maybe P/N? Did you use made flanges or any other solution?

Thank you in advance!!

Picture just to see what I'm talking about.

Old 08-16-22, 09:18 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,841 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Your car does have the flange style?
Old 08-16-22, 11:41 AM
Tallawah
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Your car does have the flange style?

Yes it does! Like in the picture. That is why I am asking, because they come like that only original.
Old 08-16-22, 11:54 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Can you post your VIN? I looked up a GS300 for Europe I get this

89465-20430 REAR
89465-30330 FRONT
89465-30350 (08/1995 - 07/1997)
89465-39795 FRONT (08/1993 - 07/1995)
89465-39805 REAR (08/1993 - 07/1995)
Old 08-16-22, 06:49 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Hello,

How many wires do you have coming from the sensor?

The difference between 89465-39795 (older one, 1993 to 1995) and 89465-30330 (newer one, 1995 to 1997) appears to be the added grounding and heater element in a newer one, meaning that the older style will only have 1 wire instead of 4, keeping the flange as far as I am aware, but I can't be sure, it is hard to find any information for European spec in particular..

If you have an older style, with only one wire, you should probably be able to get away with the one for US-market, Part Number for it is 89465-39695. Denso no longer produces those, so NTK 24504 would probably be the best bet. They actually come with flange adapters, the ones to convert from flanged system to the threaded sensors, which can make the process a lot easier, especially if anything were to seize.

As for the newer style sensor, with 4 wires, here is a link to Amayama page that supposedly has one of those in stock for a pretty reasonable price. It is a solid place to get OEM parts, but they only verify of the part is indeed in stock after you make an order, and the shipping can take a while, so don't get your hopes too high up just yet..

Other thing to check is what an actual difference between sensors with different part numbers? The question is what's the actual difference in internals between European flanged design and California threaded one, and if they are interchangeable or not.

Part Number for the California sensor is 89465-20430, it is pretty common, and there are a lot of aftermarket options for one, like Denso 234-4624 or NTK 24594, which to pick would depend on what is available in your area. Even though NTK makes adapter flanges, they don't sell them separately, so you will have to find some other option locally, or just find someone who can make it, it shouldn't be that expensive.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 08-16-22, 10:59 PM
Tallawah
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Can you post your VIN? I looked up a GS300 for Europe I get this

89465-39795 FRONT (08/1993 - 07/1995)
89465-39805 REAR (08/1993 - 07/1995)
These above are mine, by the VIN of my car.
Old 08-16-22, 11:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

2nd one shows up on Ebay first one nowhere.
Old 08-17-22, 02:32 AM
Tallawah
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

How many wires do you have coming from the sensor?

The difference between 89465-39795 (older one, 1993 to 1995) and 89465-30330 (newer one, 1995 to 1997) appears to be the added grounding and heater element in a newer one, meaning that the older style will only have 1 wire instead of 4, keeping the flange as far as I am aware, but I can't be sure, it is hard to find any information for European spec in particular..

If you have an older style, with only one wire, you should probably be able to get away with the one for US-market, Part Number for it is 89465-39695. Denso no longer produces those, so NTK 24504 would probably be the best bet. They actually come with flange adapters, the ones to convert from flanged system to the threaded sensors, which can make the process a lot easier, especially if anything were to seize.

As for the newer style sensor, with 4 wires, here is a link to Amayama page that supposedly has one of those in stock for a pretty reasonable price. It is a solid place to get OEM parts, but they only verify of the part is indeed in stock after you make an order, and the shipping can take a while, so don't get your hopes too high up just yet..

Other thing to check is what an actual difference between sensors with different part numbers? The question is what's the actual difference in internals between European flanged design and California threaded one, and if they are interchangeable or not.

Part Number for the California sensor is 89465-20430, it is pretty common, and there are a lot of aftermarket options for one, like Denso 234-4624 or NTK 24594, which to pick would depend on what is available in your area. Even though NTK makes adapter flanges, they don't sell them separately, so you will have to find some other option locally, or just find someone who can make it, it shouldn't be that expensive.

Mine ones are 1 wire with flange. As I specified above with two part no. And yes I saw that rockauto.com has NTK ones, but I live in europe and to ship them from US is expensive. So just had a tought that maybe someone found out a other solution. A scewable O2 sensor that works with the car well from brands like Bosch, Denso. Because I see that there is possibility to get the flange adapters or even make some. It is just a metal plate with holes. The main issue is to find working aftermarket O2 sensors, because I received some info, that these ECU's are not happy with non oem parts like that. Would be a bad day to receive new O2 sensors, but the car does not accept them. 😂 So that is that, old school problems 😂
Old 08-18-22, 02:21 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Sorry for the delay..

So, your sensor, Part Number 89465-39795, was only offered in European-Spec GS300, nowhere else, which is quite peculiar..

JDM Aristo, and pretty much any other car with JZ engine had a different sensor, Part Number is 89465-39565, those are quite common, here is a link to that sensor on Amayama, but you may be able to find it locally. With that, there aren't many aftermarket options out there, I was only able to find Delphi option, but I didn't have much luck with this company in the past, at least for cars that weren't made in US.

It seems like this will be your only chance to get a new O2 sensor for your car, might as well try it..

Old 08-19-22, 06:16 AM
Tallawah
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Sorry for the delay..

So, your sensor, Part Number 89465-39795, was only offered in European-Spec GS300, nowhere else, which is quite peculiar..

JDM Aristo, and pretty much any other car with JZ engine had a different sensor, Part Number is 89465-39565, those are quite common, here is a link to that sensor on Amayama, but you may be able to find it locally. With that, there aren't many aftermarket options out there, I was only able to find Delphi option, but I didn't have much luck with this company in the past, at least for cars that weren't made in US.

It seems like this will be your only chance to get a new O2 sensor for your car, might as well try it..

Well.... I'm going the "not that great" route, for now, and hoping it will work. Locally I can't find direct fit, or the price is just crazy. OE is not available anymore, called the dealer and got this answer. Russia has a lot of parts for these cars, but you all know the situation, it is closed. So I am going right now, as I am writing, with Bosch universal.. I know, but the sad thing is that I can't even get Denso universal.. So the part number 0258002031 for the bosch one. The great thing is that these sensors came with the adaptor flanges, so now I have those ! And if these sensors will not work, now I can find Denso ones without flange and just screw them in these flanges that I got with bosch. So just hopes and prays for a good luck! Will write here after, when I will see how the car works. Btw, thank you for the help!
Old 08-24-22, 11:53 AM
Tallawah
Driver School Candidate

So. Done some stuff. Replaced the o2 sensors with these Bosch ones, they work, I don't see any problems with them. Tho they did not solve my bad acceleration, fuel consumption problems. Deleted one of two cats, the second one, thought maybe it is clogged, but nope, it looked fine, tho I still deleted it, more sound, more flow, but it two added only a tiny bit of life when pressing the gas pedal and consumption still was not great. Then I thought maybe, after all the AFM problems and consequences with very rich mixture and all that soot in the exhaust, the spark plugs may have been f'ed up. So I got new Denso Iridium Power ones, found my new ignition wires in the garage and went to change all that. In the process I found very dirty throttle body and intake manifold, changed the gasket and cleaned the IAC went to see the spark plugs, and once again 2y later 4 of them are swimming in a pool of oil. But, didn't have the new gaskets, to get them it's about a week or two, I did order them and will change them when I will do the belt but for now just cleaned everything and replaced the spark plugs and wires. Put all the things back together and after a drive the car seemet much healthier than before. I was happy with the result, don't know if it was because of the intake, thorttle body being cleaned or spark plugs, or just both, but.... Next day I remembered that when I did the job found that few of the vacuum lines ar very easy to take off. They are not thorn or anything, just old and loose and old again. The original ones. So I thought, many of them are reachable so I got my-self few meters of silicone vacuum lines and stated just changing all that I can get to without taking of the manifold so only about 6 are left unchanged. And that made the biggest, most feelable change that any other thing I did. Even the geatbox started shift quicker,smoother, even the brake pedal feel is firmer and the car goes like a wind. Now I just touch the gas pedal to drive in the speed limits. I mean the best 5 bucks spent ever! The car is now alive, responsive, don't want to exagurate, but drives like new! So that is the story of my Lex and it's bad performance problems. And thanks to me for f'ing up the original AFM, it sounds stupid to say that, but that started the journey to make it to the point that the car is now, didn't drove like this before. Ever, in the time that I own this car.