GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Forgot to disconnect my battery during alternator install, feel real dumb. :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-23, 06:05 PM
MidnightG
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Forgot to disconnect my battery during alternator install, feel real dumb. :(

So I thought my car needed an alternator, bought one and installed it originally, but that didn’t fix it. My ac compressor clutch is going out I guess and when the a/c kicks on it slows down the alternator so it barely charges.

So to get a little money back for a a/c compressor decided to install my original one again because it tested good and I’m able to return the alternator.
Was in a rush after work today and forgot to disconnect my battery.. as I was taking one of the bolts off the alternator the wrench touched somewhere and caused a very little spark. I then disconnected the battery and finished the install.

The car takes longer to start now, turns over longer before it’ll start and has a low/rough idle when it does start. I even put back on my new alternator just to see if that was it, but it does the same thing. I’ve checked all the fuses and tried swapping out relays and nothing has helped. I know this is extremely dumb of me but I’m kinda lost at what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 02-26-23, 03:38 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 799 Likes on 670 Posts

Hello,

Very hard to say without seeing the car in person. A video would be helpful.

The thing is that the Alternator B+ wire is going straight to the battery, the shortest way, so there isn't much to be damaged by shorting B+ wire, other than a battery, a Main 100A fuse, or the wire itself. While I want to say I have never pulled similar bonehead moves, we can all be in a rush sometimes, for me there is still a reminder on the thin cover on the alternator to always disconnect the battery while working there.

As a solid initial lead, Lexus models of that era suffered from some ECU issues, old and dried out capacitors being the most common cause for the ECU failure, here is a very detailed thread about it. Try accessing it and taking it apart to see if there is anything to be seen there.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 02-26-23, 07:39 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 278 Likes on 240 Posts

I had issues every time I would disconnect the battery on my 2nd Gen. It would take a while for the computer to readjust everything and get it to idle normal again. Not sure how many models it applies to but I remember there was a YouTube video about getting the ECU on Toyotas to relearn idle speed
Old 03-08-23, 02:22 PM
MidnightG
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Appreciate both yalls response. I ended up putting back in the ecu I originally replaced before all this happened, just to see if the car would run right and thankfully it does. Only problem this ecu was replaced because of other issues a shop I left it at messed up, the compressor doesn’t kick on at all with this ecu but at least the car runs right. And since I can’t use my ac right now anyways it works for now haha

I’m pretty much gonna have to source another ecu. And then get a new compressor and that should be it. Pretty disappointing but at least I have some answers. Thanks again