GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Sloppy rear end

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-23, 08:44 AM
joshtct
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sloppy rear end

My first time making a post in here, very recently I’ve been having an issue with my gs where the rear end seems very sloppy, and likes to kick the rear end around when going over the line In the road or by just driving over a groove in the road.. and seems to skate around corners with just an all around sloppy feeling back there, any suggestions/advice?? Please help!
(car is lowered and on wheels, has been on a lift and everything seems very tight. I’m lost here guys)
Old 03-02-23, 01:14 PM
MOAWINGS
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How many miles are on the car? I'm approaching 300k miles and inspection underneath showed driveshaft bushings with mild cracking, subframe bushings are cracked etc. Obviously things like these generally require dropping the subframe so chances of them being done already are rare.
Old 03-04-23, 11:28 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 179 Likes on 150 Posts

This usually happens when the alignment is out. I guarantee your rear isn’t all in the green. Also the knuckle bushings were making my rear feel loose and sloppy. Felt like a bmw after I changed those.
Check the Alignment, knuckle bushings, and toe arms
Old 03-04-23, 02:42 PM
joshtct
6th Gear

Originally Posted by MOAWINGS
How many miles are on the car? I'm approaching 300k miles and inspection underneath showed driveshaft bushings with mild cracking, subframe bushings are cracked etc. Obviously things like these generally require dropping the subframe so chances of them being done already are rare.
230k, I did the driveshaft bushings like 6k miles ago, the subframe bushings are not cracked and still in good condition, surprising I know but I notice no play in anything at all when it’s on a lift
Old 03-04-23, 02:45 PM
joshtct
6th Gear

Originally Posted by DMPesso
This usually happens when the alignment is out. I guarantee your rear isn’t all in the green. Also the knuckle bushings were making my rear feel loose and sloppy. Felt like a bmw after I changed those.
Check the Alignment, knuckle bushings, and toe arms
I was told by the shop that did an alignment after it was lowered that something was maxed out but “it will ride fine” and it did for almost a month before I stared having this issue, I have noticed the tires seem to be wearing quickly, but assumed it was because of the camber, not much but a bit, the alignment sheet showed it was slightly out of the green on the driver side but you bring up a good point.
Old 03-04-23, 04:47 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 284 Likes on 244 Posts

It was way back but I remember having to replace one of the camber bolts because the alignment wouldn’t stay. Also had to change the knuckle bushings. Gotta lift the rear up and grab the wheel at different positions and see if you can feel any play then trace that back to the problem.
Old 03-05-23, 08:39 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexo98
It was way back but I remember having to replace one of the camber bolts because the alignment wouldn’t stay. Also had to change the knuckle bushings. Gotta lift the rear up and grab the wheel at different positions and see if you can feel any play then trace that back to the problem.
Grabbing the wheel doesn’t always help. There was no play in my wheel, yet my knuckle bushings were shot, which caused alignment to constantly change. But it was squeaking like an old mattress, which I fixed by injecting grease into the bushing.

Then I started having alignment issues and just a sloppy loose feeling rear end, especially over bumps. I realized how important those bushings are for alignment since they are directly connected to the camber adjustment. They had so much play when I took them out. Any bump would knock the alignment out. Changing them made the world of a difference for tightening up the rear end and high speed stability.
Old 03-05-23, 08:41 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by joshtct
I was told by the shop that did an alignment after it was lowered that something was maxed out but “it will ride fine” and it did for almost a month before I stared having this issue, I have noticed the tires seem to be wearing quickly, but assumed it was because of the camber, not much but a bit, the alignment sheet showed it was slightly out of the green on the driver side but you bring up a good point.
that’s the exact symptoms. Rides fine for a few weeks to a few months after alignment. Then it drifts out of spec and the rear gets sloppy. The symptoms you describe, I can guarantee your rear is definitely way out of spec. If they can’t get it in the green it should at least have no cross camber or toe. Both sides should be as close to each other as possible or it will be even worse. The sloppy feeling will be even worse if you have too much negative camber on only one side versus an even amount on both.