GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Hot Air From Air Conditioner??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-03, 11:22 AM
acnup00tl
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Hot Air From Air Conditioner??

I am just curious if any of you guys have had a problem with your air condtioner? I turned my air conditoner on today since I have not had it on in awhile,and it just blew hot air the whole time. I let the drove the car for about a half hour and it still blew prett much hot air. Do you guys know what the problem might be?
Old 11-02-03, 02:39 PM
Big J
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be time for you to have your system re-charged
Old 11-02-03, 02:50 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

You have a leak. Most likely the evaporator coil.

Chu...
Old 11-02-03, 02:54 PM
sung35
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you set it "auto" and the temperature is cold (< 60 degree Farenheit), then mine blows hot air. Otherwise it blows cold air. What year is your car? What was the temperature outside? What setting did you have? If the temperature outside is warm (> 75 degree Farenheit), and your air blow warm air, it is time tor a air-condition check up. The system might have a leak.

Just my .02
Old 11-02-03, 03:19 PM
acnup00tl
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by sung35
if you set it "auto" and the temperature is cold (< 60 degree Farenheit), then mine blows hot air. Otherwise it blows cold air. What year is your car? What was the temperature outside? What setting did you have? If the temperature outside is warm (> 75 degree Farenheit), and your air blow warm air, it is time tor a air-condition check up. The system might have a leak.

Just my .02

I have a 98 gs300. It was about 75 degrees today and it blew hot air on the passenger side. The driverside was somewhat cooler . I put it all the way down to 65 and it never changd the whole time. I am going to be going to the dealer tomorrw and have them take a look at it. I hope its not too much to fix this. I plan on getting rid of the car in the next month. Thanks Guys!!
Old 11-02-03, 04:43 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like someone mentioned above....i think the refrigerant is missing from your system. Time to find the leak before you recharge the system or else it will just be a matter of time before the problem is back.
Old 07-17-08, 09:26 AM
lexluger71
Pole Position

i am having this similar problem , but after i drive and let the rpms rev up after 2o mins it starts to blow cold air, is that a sensor or something.
Old 07-18-08, 11:01 AM
sudyos
Driver School Candidate

same problem here
1992 sc400 refilled the air system, after a long long time the right mid vent blows cold air!!! lol the oher vents warm not hot air....
I had the dye and cannot find any leaks!!!!

any suggestions?
Old 07-18-08, 11:11 AM
minla007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by acnup00tl
I have a 98 gs300. It was about 75 degrees today and it blew hot air on the passenger side. The driverside was somewhat cooler . I put it all the way down to 65 and it never changd the whole time. I am going to be going to the dealer tomorrw and have them take a look at it. I hope its not too much to fix this. I plan on getting rid of the car in the next month. Thanks Guys!!
i had this exact same problem. i bought a AC recharge kit from autozone for $20 and it came w/ a gauge to measure the r32 refridgerant. i pumped some new r32 in there and now both sides are blowing ice cold. Seach for 'ac problem' and you will see my posts. good luck.
Old 07-18-08, 11:48 AM
iGOTlexy
Lead Lap

I know the fix if its related to electrical reasons. Had this problem with an es300 we did an alarm on. All you have to do is re-seat all the ac plugs behind the radio area. There is also some ac wiring underneath the steering column. drop that piece down and unplug and replug it. Also a complete computer reset or disconect the battery. this most likely is an electrical problem if it runs cold on some settings and hot on others. also you need to check the current on ac wires to make sure you don't have a shorted wire
Old 07-18-08, 12:58 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by acnup00tl
I have a 98 gs300. It was about 75 degrees today and it blew hot air on the passenger side. The driver side was somewhat cooler .
You are low on refrigerant. Cool on driver side while warm on passenger side is a sure sign you are low. Just get a recharge kit for about $20 as mentioned before from Autozone. You will be back to freezing in no time.
Old 07-18-08, 06:11 PM
GeorgeGS4
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Add dye and do a recharge at the same time. Whether you do it yourself or have a shop do it. Alot of shops(including mine) will do a vacuum test at that time to check for larger leaks. 50% of the time you're good to go and then it takes a few days to blow warm again. Once it does, shine a UV light everywhere there's an A/C part ( condenser, accumulator, reciever dryer, liquid lines, and never forget the evap. core which I believe is under the dash(big job so hopefully not) good luck
Old 07-19-08, 07:40 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

your low on freon if its blowing hot also check the a/c filter if its dirty replace it! bein that i work for a heating and air supply house here in memphis (worked here for last 8 years) dont bother with the dye! there is a product out called stopleak, they make it for a house, commercial systems, and automobiles! (i put it in my old es300 after getting tired every year of adding half a pound WORKED GREAT) you can add straight into the system and it will fix all the PINHOLE leaks notice i said pinholes and not quarter sized holes lol....straight add in no oil change or anything then add some hotshot (414b) its ALSO a straight add in........claims (and works for me) to run 15 degrees colder than r-12/r-22/134a (I ALSO had this in my old es300 and it is now in my gs430 i can get my air down to 38 degrees while moving and about 42 sitting still) if anyone is ever in memphis give me a shout and i will show you! just my $0.02 though man

brian
Old 07-19-08, 10:53 AM
phillygs3

Originally Posted by sakataj
your low on freon if its blowing hot also check the a/c filter if its dirty replace it! bein that i work for a heating and air supply house here in memphis (worked here for last 8 years) dont bother with the dye! there is a product out called stopleak, they make it for a house, commercial systems, and automobiles! (i put it in my old es300 after getting tired every year of adding half a pound WORKED GREAT) you can add straight into the system and it will fix all the PINHOLE leaks notice i said pinholes and not quarter sized holes lol....straight add in no oil change or anything then add some hotshot (414b) its ALSO a straight add in........claims (and works for me) to run 15 degrees colder than r-12/r-22/134a (I ALSO had this in my old es300 and it is now in my gs430 i can get my air down to 38 degrees while moving and about 42 sitting still) if anyone is ever in memphis give me a shout and i will show you! just my $0.02 though man

brian
I also do HVAC residential and commercial Hotshot is some good stuff .... I have to try this
Old 07-21-08, 07:44 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

yeah hotshot is great. i do strongly recommend it more than factory 134!!.......the stopleak is really good to especially for the residential systems! no more searching for leaks! wont harm the compressors

Quick Reply: Hot Air From Air Conditioner??