GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus GS300 (2000) - Mysterious Beeping Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-23 | 10:12 PM
Physoic
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus GS300 (2000) - Mysterious Beeping Noise

My Lexus has always been making weird beeping noise ever since I got it, but today the beeping got a lot more frequent. It happens both when the car is driving and stationary

4 years ago I got my gs300 from my dads friend and it always had this mysterious beeping noise. I was assured the car is in good condition and the beeping didn't happen often enough to be an issue. I later learned to tune it out. I've brought my car into the shop plenty of times, not once was anything wrong or anything I had done to the car fixed this beeping. Even mechanics who heard this noise didn't know what it was and it didn't matter to me since I learned to live with it.

But today, out of nowhere, it got a lot more frequent, beeping every 8-10 seconds. I tried looking it up but can't find anyone talking about the same beeping.
Unrelated to the beeping, my water pump leaked and my timing belt needed to change which I got fixed last month so I don't think there's a problem with anything under the hood. There's no warning lights either except for the blind spot warning, but that's busted I think as it's always on.

I've attached an MP3 but here's a video: https://streamable.com/cc1s4c
Image of my miles/warning lights: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...2949791.MP.jpg

Does anyone know what this is?

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
PXL_20230720_041146234.TS.mp3 (1.60 MB, 63 views)

Last edited by Physoic; 07-19-23 at 10:33 PM. Reason: giving more info
Old 07-19-23 | 10:22 PM
DundukovEM
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 89 Posts

Is that one of the climate control servomotors? Try turning off the climate control system and check again.
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (07-26-23)
Old 07-20-23 | 07:13 AM
Mntabs
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The dreaded dolphin sound!!!

Your break booster needs to be changed. You can get one from a junk yard. They are really expensive new.
QLex300 (07-26-23)
Old 07-20-23 | 06:23 PM
ServingStatic
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mntabs
Your break booster needs to be changed. You can get one from a junk yard. They are really expensive new.
You are correct, had previous GS400 making that noise coming from ABS/Brake Booster
QLex300 (07-26-23)
Old 07-20-23 | 10:01 PM
Physoic
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ServingStatic
You are correct, had previous GS400 making that noise coming from ABS/Brake Booster
I'm seeing it price from $200-$400 used. If it's used should I be worried about it making the same noise again?
The noise is driving me nuts so I'll do it sooner rather than later. But what is the danger of a bad Brake Booster? Could I be in danger if I continue to drive with a bad break booster?
I stated before, I got this noise going on for 4 years, with the noise gradually and slowly getting more frequent I guess. Does it make sense for the BB to do that?

Oh and I saw on some other thread, 98 and 99 abs/Break Booster are only compatible with each other. Since my car is 2000, should I try getting something of the same year or does anyone know if I'm safe getting something from 01-02

Thanks for the help so far identifying it!

Last edited by Physoic; 07-20-23 at 10:26 PM. Reason: new question
Old 07-20-23 | 10:04 PM
Physoic
6th Gear

Originally Posted by DundukovEM
Is that one of the climate control servomotors? Try turning off the climate control system and check again.
I don't believe I can just "turn it off" but I looked into it and found out about the GS having bad Servo Motors. And the noise does sound like it's coming from the Driver Servo.
There's guides and even some mentions about it making noises, not the "dolphin" noise I'm having, but I guess I can try getting it clean.
Old 07-25-23 | 02:40 AM
Mntabs
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake booster

If you're having to put break fluid in it and the pedal starts going all the way down to the floor. Then no, you are not safe to drive it at all. You need to change the break booster. As for what year, you can use any break booster from 1998-2000

caQUOTE=Physoic;11545302]I'm seeing it price from $200-$400 used. If it's used should I be worried about it making the same noise again?
The noise is driving me nuts so I'll do it sooner rather than later. But what is the danger of a bad Brake Booster? Could I be in danger if I continue to drive with a bad break booster?
I stated before, I got this noise going on for 4 years, with the noise gradually and slowly getting more frequent I guess. Does it make sense for the BB to do that?

Oh and I saw on some other thread, 98 and 99 abs/Break Booster are only compatible with each other. Since my car is 2000, should I try getting something of the same year or does anyone know if I'm safe getting something from 01-02

Thanks for the help so far identifying it![/QUOTE]
QLex300 (07-26-23)
Old 07-29-23 | 10:45 AM
Physoic
6th Gear

Bump.
So you're all right, it is the break booster. My actual power breaks are relatively new since I had to replace them from a car crash last year.
I never had trouble breaking even since I first got this car and it was making this noise. I want to think my break booster isnt broken, just makes the annoying noise.
I'm going to a mechanic this monday to have them take a look at it.

What I wanna ask you all though is if I should get a used one. I will be livid if I drop $400 to get a used one and it makes the noise as well.
Old 07-29-23 | 02:06 PM
DundukovEM
Intermediate

Here is the new one.
https://parts.lexusofmobile.com/p/Le...705030220.html
They have sales discounts on national holidays.
I would buy a new one, even if it cost me more, it would still bring me more reliability for another 20+ years, and my life depends on it every day.
Old 08-20-23 | 01:57 PM
Physoic
6th Gear

Thanks for this.
Sorry for coming back to this old post. I took my car to a Lexus dealership and had their guys look at it. They told me there was a few parts to it but the main one was the actuator that needed to be replaced. Strangely though they told me they couldn't order the part since it was out of stock and no longer being made, weird. My main concern though is if the noise means its broken. It's not, Brake Booster works it's just making the noise.

The dude said they could flush my breaks for $300, doesn't think it will solve the problem but hopeful it will reduce the noise. What do you all think?
Old 08-21-23 | 05:05 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Physoic
Thanks for this.
Sorry for coming back to this old post. I took my car to a Lexus dealership and had their guys look at it. They told me there was a few parts to it but the main one was the actuator that needed to be replaced. Strangely though they told me they couldn't order the part since it was out of stock and no longer being made, weird. My main concern though is if the noise means its broken. It's not, Brake Booster works it's just making the noise.

The dude said they could flush my breaks for $300, doesn't think it will solve the problem but hopeful it will reduce the noise. What do you all think?
Bro, stop chasing your own tail. Multiple old threads have pointed to the brake booster needing replacing, members have told you in this thread that it needs replacing, and the dealer recently told you the assembly is bad, so seriously, why are you still questioning the accuracy of empirical data? Either buy new, buy used, buy aftermarket, or risk your life over questioning if a part that’s currently beeping every time you hit the brakes, isn’t actually broken. It’s well documented the 98-00 models failed prematurely.

Last edited by SaiyanGS3; 08-24-23 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-06-23 | 10:23 AM
amruss24
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use an 01+ brake booster, you just need to swap over one sensor. There's a YouTube video on how to do this.
Old 11-09-23 | 01:07 PM
DundukovEM
Intermediate

It seems like a lot of people have been experiencing Brake Master Cylinder failure lately. Many of them came here with questions and received correct answers. But no one responded back with the decision they ultimately made.
Was it replaced with a new/used one?
Has the original unit been repaired?
Did they really give up and continue driving?
Did they trash the car?
Old 11-16-23 | 12:52 PM
Physoic
6th Gear

It seems like a lot of people have been experiencing Brake Master Cylinder failure lately. Many of them came here with questions and received correct answers. But no one responded back with the decision they ultimately made.
Was it replaced with a new/used one?
Has the original unit been repaired?
Did they really give up and continue driving?
Did they trash the car?
Still alive. You might be disappointed but I did just give up and continued driving.
Noise is sill present and annoying but I can still break just fine. I was able to do a 10hr trip last month with it.
Reason why is because I wanted to buy a new car next year so I didn't want to drop $1500+ on getting a new part. I'll have to keep checking junkyards.
Even if I fix the noise, I'm not sure I can sell it higher than 2k. My car already has some dents and small paint scratches.
Old 11-16-23 | 01:08 PM
DundukovEM
Intermediate

Thanks for replying!
​​​​​​Keep in mind that one time it will be all power brake loss on the road, so you should be prepared to press the brake pedal as hard as you can to slow down the car. You still will have conventional brake system functioning, but without power assistance (boost) it will be ten times harder to achieve the same braking force on your wheels.

Quick Reply: Lexus GS300 (2000) - Mysterious Beeping Noise