GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Mark Levinson Audio system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-03, 07:50 PM
camtrek
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Erick G
cant believe they still have a free air sub with mark levinson system
way to cheap out lexus.. they could of added some serious low end
like a good 10" in a sealed box
would of been THAT much better

Erick G
and therefore I bought myself a RF HE2 and stuck it in a black sealed box. LOL
Old 11-07-03, 07:52 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Not usually. Eq 'bands' roll off eiter side of a center frequency, so boosting low/mid/high will make a small 'mountain range' of frequency responses.
Yes that's true. That's why I made the "simplification" statement.

I have not seen or heard the ML system so I don't know what kind of EQ it has. Even if it is a simple low/mid/high type of EQ, my only point was that maxing out the different frequencies won't get a better sounding system. You'll just get the frequencies louder, not quite the same as volume but since everything is boosted, you are close to just raising volume.
Old 11-07-03, 11:26 PM
benxd
Lead Lap

Can someone please post some pics of the ML system? I'm curious to see what it looks like.
Old 11-08-03, 05:46 AM
SkyHigh
Driver School Candidate

I can, what do you want to see?
Old 11-08-03, 07:46 AM
DPRSupra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Neo
Bose better than ML? I think you are the first person I know to say this.
I think it was a 2004 Acura TL which would mean it has the new ELS Stereo system w/dvd audio capability. I've heard it in a demo and it does sound good

ELS
Old 11-08-03, 10:10 AM
benxd
Lead Lap

Can you post pics of the entire system, if that's not asking for too much. If I remember correctly the tweeters are round right?
Old 11-08-03, 10:31 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by DPRSupra
I think it was a 2004 Acura TL which would mean it has the new ELS Stereo system w/dvd audio capability. I've heard it in a demo and it does sound good
Thanks. Maybe I'll go test it out one of these days when I have some spare time. I have the Acura MDX with the Bose system and I am unimpressed. This ELS seems intriguing though.
Old 11-08-03, 12:35 PM
SkyHigh
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by camtrek
year? and with the Nav package?

I love mine

Out of 11 notches for bass it's at 10
for MID it at -1
and treble 9

I added a RF HE2 tho.

and overall it's clear as hell and doesn't distort. Maybe you have some blown speakers?
Your right these settings did make a difference, Thanks
Old 11-08-03, 02:38 PM
camtrek
Driver

sorry pics suck

Last edited by camtrek; 11-08-03 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-08-03, 05:13 PM
benxd
Lead Lap

Thanks for the pics! Can the ML only come with navigation because of the tuning and such?
Old 11-08-03, 05:33 PM
camtrek
Driver

negative, you can get the ML system with Nav for a slight "deal" or by itself.

Last edited by camtrek; 11-08-03 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-09-03, 06:35 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

You got rid of a 2004 TL for a 2004 GS? Start a thread on that, I'm curious about the comparison.

The ML system is good, not great. Still one of the best stock systems I have heard. Curious how it compared to the TLs system - have heard good reviews on the 2004 TL audio.
Old 11-09-03, 08:13 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hello GS owners. Thought I would check out the GS forum and see what you all are up to instead of the LS forum I'm always in. I own an '03 LS with the Mark Levinson system and Nav. I am always interested in what others think about the ML system. And here are some of my thoughts: I, for one, think it has strengths and weaknesses. I don't know what the ML sounds like in a GS but in my LS it has an incredible "sound stage". I am hearing some of my CD's it seems for the first time. There are so many subtle nuances that the ML system reproduces that I've never heard on any other system. Also, the channel separation is unlike anything I've heard. For example, if there's an instrument playing in the left channel, you hear it on the left very distinctively. You really feel like you are there live with the musicians. However, this seems to be the ML's strongest selling point. The bass is defninitely weak and underwhelming which seems to be a common complaint. I have also noticed that if a CD has really good recording sessions and is primarily recorded "DDD", the sound of the ML system really sounds good and even the bass is acceptible (to me). If a CD has an older recording session (AAD or ADD), it doesn't sound too good and the ML system doesn't lend itself to have the ability to compensate either automatically or with user adjustments. My self built system in my old Accord allowed me to compensate for less than stellar CD recordings but it didn't have the incredible sound stage the ML system has. All in all, the ML is one of the better OEM systems. Whether or not it's the best I couldn't say since I've not heard all the OEM systems - and even if I did, any rating would be subjective anyway. I will say that the best OEM sound system I've ever heard (and owned) was the JBL system I had in my old '91 Merc Sable. That system was just "over the top" and was unlike anything Ford ever put into any other car. To my knowledge, this was the only year they offered this particular system - other years were downgraded systems. This period around '91 the car manufacturers were going all out with their sound systems. It only lasted a few years and even though they kept the "well known name" (such as JBL, Bose, Infinity, etc) all the way to today, the systems are but a shadow of what they were back then. Anyway, I digress. If you want to know more details about any Mark Levinson system in a Lexus, go to this website: http://www.marklevinsonlexus.com

BTW, the wattage rating for the ML systems is true RMS wattage not "peak" wattage.
Old 11-10-03, 01:09 PM
FilBoiLsGs
Driver

I've got a ML/NAV on my LS430 and I think the sound is just awesome. Honestly, I cannot distinguish the difference in sounds compared to the Nakamichi in both my GS4 & LS4. Probably, it is just that I drive my GS all the time ( my daily commute) and my LS400 3 times /wk. & the LS430 once a week. I one time, experienced that the ML won't play a CD recorded from my friend's computer. I also think that the ML is a little bit clearer than the Nakamichi, while the latter has a more deeper bass. I like the Nakamichi for the ease of use (simple control buttons ) while the ML touch screen is bit complicated because it was mixed with the nav/climate control etc, etc. I always mess up with the channel selection buttons on the steering wheel on the ML system. Finally, I really enjoy the Nakamichi in the LS400 tomblike cabin, the same with ML in the LS430 except that the touch screen control of the ML is a bit complicated.