GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Going From 98 GS400 to 2002 AMG C32

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-03, 05:38 AM
JaxFL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going From 98 GS400 to 2002 AMG C32

Anybody driven/ owned one of these AMG C32s? The girlfriend gets my GS soon and I'll be making a change. The E55 really is what I want but I can't live with new car depreciation so I've decided to wait a couple of years to get an 03 E55 and go with a used 02 C32. I've been looking into the C32s and they're pretty impressive. One mag (Autocar) got a 0-60 of 4.6 and 1/4 mile of 13.0@107. That is C5 and early Viper territory. The stock wheels are 25 lbs. I plan to get some superlight wheels, air filter, exhaust and see what kind of RWHP I can get out of it (stock RWHP 275-308). Anybody race one in a stock GS4?

Kevin
Old 11-10-03, 06:24 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Re: Going From 98 GS400 to 2002 AMG C32

Originally posted by JaxFL
Anybody driven/ owned one of these AMG C32s? The girlfriend gets my GS soon and I'll be making a change. The E55 really is what I want but I can't live with new car depreciation so I've decided to wait a couple of years to get an 03 E55 and go with a used 02 C32. I've been looking into the C32s and they're pretty impressive. One mag (Autocar) got a 0-60 of 4.6 and 1/4 mile of 13.0@107. That is C5 and early Viper territory. The stock wheels are 25 lbs. I plan to get some superlight wheels, air filter, exhaust and see what kind of RWHP I can get out of it (stock RWHP 275-308). Anybody race one in a stock GS4?

Kevin
I have not driven one, but from what I've read regarding comparisons between the C32 AMG and an M3, the M3 is a better overall balanced true enthusiasts sports car than the C32 is. If I had to choose between those two, I would pick the M3.
Old 11-10-03, 10:44 AM
I QuiKSilvR I
Driver

Put me down for an M3... My neighbor's nephew just got one yesterday. Talk about being spoiled, the kid originally wanted a Porche but his parents said that his grades are not that impressive. So yeah, he gets an M3 instead. I'll have pictures when I get the chance... Car looks amazing and clean! I really like the ALL LED tailights though..
Old 11-10-03, 12:07 PM
JaxFL
Rookie

I need a 4 door so the M3 is out for me. Plus I've heard about a hundred or so engine failures in the newest model.

Kevin
Old 11-10-03, 12:27 PM
FilBoiLsGs
Driver

Default Re: Re: Going From 98 GS400 to 2002 AMG C32

Originally posted by Hameed
I have not driven one, but from what I've read regarding comparisons between the C32 AMG and an M3, the M3 is a better overall balanced true enthusiasts sports car than the C32 is. If I had to choose between those two, I would pick the M3.
Both cars are very nice,fast & also luxurious. I might get the BM M3/M5 version than the MB. My reason for buying the BMW, is that the reliability aspect has the highest % when making a big ticket purchase. For me, buying a luxury car ( highly depreciable asset ) is already a sin. But buying an unreliable luxury car is a mortal sin. I'll stick with my Lexus. I am happy and secure with my purchase & no other luxury cars out there can make me feel bad with my decision. Lexus is cheaper ( compared to MB/BMW equivalent ) and you can always keep the change and invest somewhere. No need to be a member of the "Frequent Repair Program" ( which can save you money ) of other kuxury brand. Finally, you are always treated like a "KING" at the service department. IMHO....
Old 11-10-03, 02:43 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

I need a 4 door so the M3 is out for me. Plus I've heard about a hundred or so engine failures in the newest model.

Kevin
How about the S4? Not the new one, but the previous generation twin-turbo V6 S4? Chip that puppy and it's quite fast (~5 sec 0-60, low 13s 1/4 mile), handles really well (AWD!), has a manual tranny and a really beautiful interior (if you ask me). And you can get a used one for a really decent price for sure.

Last edited by SCWells72; 11-10-03 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-10-03, 03:49 PM
Lextacy400
Lead Lap

Default Re: Going From 98 GS400 to 2002 AMG C32

Kevin

Hey Kev,

I was actually thinking about getting the E55 AMG. Im not really sure yet if that is the car I REALLY want at the moment but I also looked at the C32 AMG's as well. I never raced one but if you decide to get one let me know how it is. BTW I test drove the E55 and it is a MONSTER..They don't usually allow test drives on the E55 unless your a serious buyer. I convinced them..lol Goodluck with your choice..
Old 11-10-03, 04:10 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I test drove a C32 at my local dealer. The car was loaded with every available option. The salesperson was up for taking a break, so he let me take it for an extended, spirited drive. I broke the rear tires loose a few times, and I took it up to about 105-110 on city streets.

My suggestion is that you take a long test drive if you are serious about this car. The car does not feel as fast as the numbers would indicate -- you do NOT get the same feeling of massive torque that you would compared to even an older (non sc) E55, even though peak numbers would indicate similar performance. Also, the interior of the car is definitely a downgrade from even an older design like the GS. The C class is Mercedes' base model; even with the navi/stereo upgrade, I was not impressed with the general, tactile feel of the interior, the sound quality of the stereo, or the general sound dampening characteristics of the interior even when driving very conservatively. My general impression?

I would personally rather have an older generation E55 or CLK55. Yes, they are older designs, but IMO better ones.
Old 11-10-03, 04:40 PM
JaxFL
Rookie

Default Re: Re: Going From 98 GS400 to 2002 AMG C32

Originally posted by Lextacy400
Hey Kev,

I was actually thinking about getting the E55 AMG. Im not really sure yet if that is the car I REALLY want at the moment but I also looked at the C32 AMG's as well. I never raced one but if you decide to get one let me know how it is. BTW I test drove the E55 and it is a MONSTER..They don't usually allow test drives on the E55 unless your a serious buyer. I convinced them..lol Goodluck with your choice..
I'll file a report if I get the C32. The E55 is really the car I want though. I have to just sit back and let it come to me (depreciate).

I found a C32 with less than 10,000 miles that I can get for around $38,000. I think I'm going to pull the trigger soon.

Kevin
Old 11-10-03, 04:44 PM
JaxFL
Rookie

Originally posted by pvmike1

The car does not feel as fast as the numbers would indicate -- you do NOT get the same feeling of massive torque that you would compared to even an older (non sc) E55, even though peak numbers would indicate similar performance. Also, the interior of the car is definitely a downgrade from even an older design like the GS. My general impression?

I would personally rather have an older generation E55 or CLK55. Yes, they are older designs, but IMO better ones.
That is kind of a buzzkill. I do need to drive one before I plop down my bucks. The cars I'm looking at are all out of state. I need 4 doors so the CLK55 (which I like a lot) is not an option. Something about the previous N/A E55s styling just seems so outdated compared to even the slightly newer C32 shape. I know its a great car though. But again its quite a bit more to find one with low miles / warranty.

Kevin
Old 11-10-03, 09:40 PM
MQM
Driver

My younger sister drives a C240....Although it doesnt compare to a c32 in performance i just thought id throw in my opinion on the overall c class..

After driving the GS and drive the C it feels like a corolla...No offense to anyone who has one..But i couldnt live with the size of the car after driving the GS and im not a fan of the pricetag either...Reliability wise its ok, but ive known a handfull of people who have a clk430 and they complain that the build quality is horrible..little things always go wrong..but the C class has not given us any problems thus far @ 24,000 miles..Just think it over before you make your decision and good luck!
Old 11-11-03, 01:49 AM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

That is kind of a buzzkill. I do need to drive one before I plop down my bucks. The cars I'm looking at are all out of state. I need 4 doors so the CLK55 (which I like a lot) is not an option. Something about the previous N/A E55s styling just seems so outdated compared to even the slightly newer C32 shape. I know its a great car though. But again its quite a bit more to find one with low miles / warranty.
Kevin,

Yeah, I hear ya about the previous gen E55's styling -- not much of a distinction between that car and an E430 sport. Sorry to bring your hopes down, but I was sincerely disappointed after driving the C32. I had such high hopes for it also, seeing those magazine test numbers. I'm not saying it wasn't fast, it just didn't have the torque I thought it would. It pulled pretty well with the revs up high, but most of that speed can't be enjoyed in everyday driving.

What really struck me, however, was the rather cheap-looking interior materials. I doubt there is any real difference in interior quality between a C240 (which I haven't driven) and the C32. Not quite up to par for that amount of money.

I would still suggest an older E55. For a 4-door, automatic tranny sedan, it's a great driver. Even a new 6 speed M5 doesn't feel much faster.

I suggest you check out a C320 at your local dealer and give that a test drive. It should give you a fair sense of size/build quality, if not performance.

Mike
Old 11-11-03, 07:45 AM
JaxFL
Rookie

The build quality is a concern but the car will have a factory warranty for the length of my ownership. So even if I have issues they will be resolved at minimal cost.

I just don't see any other 2002 or newer, automatic sedan from a luxury auto maker with less than 10,000 miles on it than can run mid 13's or lower in the 1/4 mile available for a better price ($37,500). Plus, the car deal I'm working on is very close to trade-in value so I shouldn't be too upside down when I go to get retail out of it later.

Kevin
Old 11-11-03, 08:06 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

I just don't see any other 2002 or newer, automatic sedan from a luxury auto maker with less than 10,000 miles on it than can run mid 13's or lower in the 1/4 mile available for a better price ($37,500).
To reiterate my suggestion earlier, I know that the Tiptronic '02 S4s can be chipped to 318hp/382lb-ft on 93 octane (what I use in my GS4 now) for $600. The interior is much better than that of the C32 AMG, and like I said, you also get AWD in the package. Personally I would go for the six-speed version, but Audi's tiptronic is pretty solid as a manumatic.

I know the manuals run in the low 13s chipped if not 13 flat, and I think the Tiptronics run in the low-to-mid 13s.

Looking at used S4s, I see them in the low-to-mid $30s retail depending on what options you get.
Old 11-11-03, 08:08 AM
JaxFL
Rookie

I meant to add bone stock with no voided warranty. How fast are the automatic versions of that model with zero mods?

Kevin

Quick Reply: Going From 98 GS400 to 2002 AMG C32