GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS 300 Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-03, 06:11 PM
blah99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS 300 Wont Start

Hi all

I have a lexus gs 300 sport 1997 gold badge model and had left it laid up for about 2 years and havent been near it till now... I got a guy to start it every few months and the last time was in janurary of this year... I came to pick it up and it wont start...

The battery was completely dead wouldnt even hold a charge...

It just cranks over and over as if there is no gas in it (which there is ) I dont want to burn anything out so 10 seconds would be the max that it was cranked at anyone time...

I was told that if you leaving it with a dead battery for so long the immobiliser would lose its code and to put a new battery in it and leave the key at the start position for 10 - 60 mins to send the code from the key back to the engine...

But that didnt work... I was wondering is there any suggestion to what i should do... The car only has 30,000 miles on it...

I can also tell you that there is two boxes on the top left hand side of the engine next to the strut that was replaced before i bought the car the guy told me that he had a starting problem and that was replaced... Also i dont have the second key anymore as the guy cant find it so i only have the master key... Is there anyway to tell if the key is hammered.... It is lyin about 1000 miles from the nearest lexus garage... so any help or hints would be apperciated...

With Thanks
Old 11-10-03, 06:34 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

One suggestion, post in the correct forum. Be glad i got to you before the mods.

James
Old 11-10-03, 10:20 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by jet864
One suggestion, post in the correct forum. Be glad i got to you before the mods.

James
Hehe, beat me to it
Old 11-10-03, 10:30 PM
MikeysSC
Lead Lap

Oh and Welcome to Club Lexus
Old 11-10-03, 10:34 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Be nice and help him out here SC owners
Old 11-10-03, 10:35 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lonely Toothbrush
Be nice and help him out here SC owners

I would if I could- don't know anything about the immobilization feature.
Old 11-11-03, 01:26 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: GS 300 Wont Start

As it's been sittign for 2 years, you probably have bad gas. Yes, gas does go bad after a while. I'd siphon out the old gas (at least a good portion of it), and then get some fresh gas in there, and crank it for about 10 seconds at a time as you've been doing. Nonetheless, it will be a while until the good gas gets in the engine--so you'll want to start it like you have a flooded engine--hold the gas pedal down while you crank it to help the new fuel pumped from the tank to the engine. Once the engine catches and starts, it will want to die due to the excess fuel, so hold the gas pedal down until it finally stays on without hesitation. You'll get lots of fumes from the tail pipes during the starting procedure, but that is expected. Don't over-rev the engine, keep it around 2,500 rpm for around 30-60s to burn off the excess fuel.

As for your immobilizer system--it's working fine. If it didn't work, your engine wouldn't even crank. As you got a new battery, it's obviously not a battery issue nor a starter issue (besides the car cranks just fine, from what it sounds like).

FYI, next time you leave your car sitting aroudn for 2 years, remove all of the gas from the tank. Then when you're ready to take the car out of storage drive the car again, add some fresh gas and start it up.
Old 11-11-03, 02:28 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

FYI, next time you leave your car sitting aroudn for 2 years, remove all of the gas from the tank. Then when you're ready to take the car out of storage drive the car again, add some fresh gas and start it up
Not to nit pick, here but IMO it's a better move to leave at least some gas in the tank and maybe use an additive that is meant for winter storage for example. This keeps the gas from "seperating". I do this every winter with my Harley. The last thing you want in the spring time is a totally dry tank and then debris floating around when you finally put gas in. Just trying to help.
Old 11-11-03, 03:05 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by ebruceii
Not to nit pick, here but IMO it's a better move to leave at least some gas in the tank and maybe use an additive that is meant for winter storage for example. This keeps the gas from "seperating". I do this every winter with my Harley. The last thing you want in the spring time is a totally dry tank and then debris floating around when you finally put gas in. Just trying to help.
That's a great suggestion--thanks for passing on the gas storage info. Nonetheless, I hope that blah99 can currently get his car started up properly.
Old 11-11-03, 03:09 PM
blah99
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion but i already changed the gas... I have discovered somthing else the fuel pump is reading 2.5v when you crank the engine for about a second before it drops to 0 again... I also checked all the fuses.... I think at this stage its the immobliser as i said before any help would be apperciated...

Does anyone know exactly what you do to send the code back to the ecu via the master key???

With Thanks
Old 11-11-03, 05:44 PM
blah99
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion but i already changed the gas... I have discovered somthing else the fuel pump is reading 2.5v when you crank the engine for about a second before it drops to 0 again... I also checked all the fuses.... I think at this stage its the immobliser as i said before any help would be apperciated...

Does anyone know exactly what you do to send the code back to the ecu via the master key???

With Thanks
Old 11-12-03, 04:53 PM
blah99
Driver School Candidate

Default Sorted

Hi i got it sorted...

If anyone ever needs to know the sequence of recoding the immobliser please contact me...

With Thanks for everyone that tried...
Old 11-12-03, 08:41 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Sorted

Originally posted by blah99
Hi i got it sorted...

If anyone ever needs to know the sequence of recoding the immobliser please contact me...

With Thanks for everyone that tried...

You could always make an appropriately title thread (so it shows up in search) on how to do this. This would allow others to search and use this info if they ever have a problem in the future.
Just a way of giving back to the community