GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Glove box rattle FIX!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-03, 10:28 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Step #12

Now place panel back on door. Check for creaking before screwing back together. Add felt where needed. Once done put back together opposite order. Make sure when putting box back into dash that the plastic **** sticking out goes above/behind the black cross bar in pic. This helps support box in place, and also to help hold while replacing bolts on the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails Glove box rattle FIX!!-glovebox036.jpg  
Old 11-12-03, 10:30 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

last bit of info. Make sure points in back go into holes in back. Helps hold the kicker panel up and in place.
Attached Thumbnails Glove box rattle FIX!!-glovebox038.jpg  
Old 11-12-03, 10:36 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Default Wa La!!

That should do it. You should now be rattle creak free!! I forgot to mention. There are a couple of chrome clips that fasten at the top of the box that go into the dash. Make sure and cover those with the thin felt. This part is one of the TSBs covered by Toyota. What I did was way beyond the TSB, but I also have no more rattles from my glove box....at ALL.

Hope this helps those interested. I'll answer any questions I can related to this diy project that aren't covered here. And for those obsessive compulsive types, like myself, I've also got some pics for remove creaks/rattles from the center console, and ashtray area. I'll save those for another thread.

Cheers,
Blanco
Old 11-12-03, 10:57 PM
Johnny0728
Rookie

Thanks for taking the time and effort.
Good job.
Johnny
Old 11-12-03, 11:43 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

wow!!!!! extreeeeemely detailed! thanks!
Old 11-12-03, 11:44 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

That was EXACTLY what I was looking for--great job on the DIY-er! I hope to get rid of this very annoying problem on my '99 GS400. It's really bad in the morning for some reason (cold, creaky plastic!). Anyways, I'll give it a shot and see how it works--I'm sure very well. Thanks again for your time and effort on posting this project!
Old 11-13-03, 02:33 AM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

Thank you! The amount of detail here is great.

Now if only someone could post instructions on how to fix the rattling noise coming from the sunroof.
Old 11-13-03, 02:51 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

think that this should be put on an article... or some sort of sticky... or diy section...
Old 11-13-03, 06:27 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the kudos guys. I had done this a week earlier when I read a thread here that someone was complaining of creaks. I then took the box apart again to take the pics to do the diy.

While I was at it, I took some pics of the center console job including the ash fixes I implemented.

I'm just happy to be able to give something back to the community here at CL.

Enjoy!!

PS After rereading the whole process I can see several spots might seem ambiguous. If you want clarification on any part just PM me. It was late, and I was tired when posting last night.

Last edited by Blanco; 11-13-03 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-13-03, 08:25 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Default More glovebox removal info

I copied this info from the Lexus manual, to help out with the glovebox removal. I hope it helps out (clip locations on lower trim and airbag harness disassembly). Also, I agree that this should be a sticky of some sort, as it seems to be an all too common problem on the 2nd generation GS series---and all other glovebox rattle information on CL is not as complete as this post by Blanco!
Attached Thumbnails Glove box rattle FIX!!-glovebox-removal.jpg  

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 11-13-03 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-13-03, 09:03 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sweet. I think a bunch of the GS guys will be opening up their glove box soon, it they have not done so already.
Old 11-13-03, 10:58 AM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

Excellent tutorial. Thanks.
Old 11-13-03, 09:32 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Default Great post by Blanco!

OK, so I did Blanco's DIY for the glovebox rattle--it's very easy--and it sure works GREAT! A couple of notes:

1. ADDED FELT TO AIRBAG WIRES: I added thick felt to the yellow airbag wires (since there was 2 of them that could rub and creak). They are above the whole glovebox surround on the right side.

2. EXTRA FELT TO LOWER PART OF BACK COVER TO GLOVEBOX DOOR PROPER. When felting the black back cover of the glovebox door proper (assuming you have already removed the glovebox door from the plastic surround, and the screws to separate the front and back parts), I added extra thick felt to the lower part of the back piece that will get sandwiched with the front piece. When the back piece of the door and front piece are screwed together, it has a snug fit and it won't squeak at all.

3. "AIR FILTER SERVICE" INSTRUCTION PIECE. This rectangular snapout piece (it says "Air Filter Service. . ") was problematic for me, as I could push on it, and it would squeak, even w/ felt on it. I ended up felting the piece itself and the area it snaps into in the glovebox door. Don't double up on felt (i.e. 2 layers) on some areas with felt, it CAN cause more new creaks than before! Anyways after some tweaking, the rectangular piece has a little creak, but it's much better than before.

4. GLOVEBOX SURROUND TRIM CLIPS. Right after you remove the 2 bolts on the bottom and the 3 screws on top, to get the glovebox surround out of the dash, you'll need to pull down to get the 2 trim clips from the top part of the dash to get them loose. It's a pretty easy thing to do, much like removing the lower cover by pulling on it.

5. EXTRA FELT? I did all of the above in addition to Blanco's instructions, and I must say, my car is a different beast! (A quiet one at that). I only get a slight squeak on rough roads--and on smooth, nothing but pure silence (at least from the glovebox). I think the rare noise (from rough roads) might be from the plastic surround that holds the glovebox door and the instrument panel/dash. I might take it out again, and add felt to where it contacts the instrument panel. . . but overall, this car is much, much better!

6. WHERE TO GET FELT. I called my local Lexus dealer and asked about the thin and thick felt pieces, and the parts manager mentioned that they don't have retail kits. After some talking on my needs, he went to the service department and offered up some free sample pieces (1mm thick, 1/8" wide, and about 24" long--there were about 20 strips of them (I used about 4 of them)--along w/ some thicker felt pieces (1/4" thick)).

Now that the glovebox is to my satisfaction, I have a couple of other squeaks (albeit less common occuring than the previous rather constant glovebox squeak) that I will look to tackle another day (A-pillar and sunroof). . .

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 11-13-03 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-04-07, 10:11 AM
taeng
Lead Lap

I can't seem to get a hold of these felt pieces...Did anyone else have luck with an alternative they used not from lexus?
Old 08-04-07, 01:38 PM
darchard
Driver

I was wondering where that rattle was coming from. Thanks for the great detail on the fix.

Quick Reply: Glove box rattle FIX!!