GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How to program home link?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-03, 09:10 AM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to program home link?

I cant figure out how to program the garage door opener to the home link system in the GS? I read the instructions in the manuel, but no luck! Im sure its pretty simple, but cant do it. I have a GS3, and the garage door is a Genie "Intellicode." The dealership says I can make it work. help would be appreciated. thanks
Old 11-14-03, 09:54 AM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

first of all, if you have a rolling code in your garage door you will have to turn it off to be able to do this. you will be able to turn it back on afterwards.

when you have the garage door ready, make your you have the homelink facing the door opener inside the garage. (like back out and have your car facing the garage) press the button on the homelink that you want to store the code. wait a few seconds until it either stops blinking or starts blinking can't remember. anyway when that happens you press the button on your door opener REMOTE. that should store your opener. after that try to close or open your garage door. i am pretty sure that is how you do it. of course keep in mind i am doing this by memory so if anyone else can correct me feel free. i hope i helped!

i am pretty sure its the same thing as the IS cause i did this on my 01 jaguar and it was the same combo.

Last edited by amy011079; 11-14-03 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-14-03, 09:56 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Proper instructions to program Homelink

I, too, had the hardest time trying to figure out how to program the Homelink (on 2 different GS's), as the instructions on the manual are horrible--I can't believe that Lexus would print those ambiguous, cryptic instructions. Anyways, here's what the instructions should have said:

---------------------------------------------

HOMELINK REMOTE PROGRAMMING

PROCEDURE A: If you have a rolling code garage door opener (most new ones are of this type)

1. Decide which of the 3 Homelink buttons you want to use to open your garage door. Press this button for 20 seconds, after which the Homelink LED will start blinking about 1Hertz. Keep pressing this Homelink button.

2. Bring the handheld garage remote close to the Homelink unit in your car and firmly push the button on the handheld remote (for about 0.5 seconds) a few times (spacing the pushes about 1 push every 2 seconds). Once the red LED on the Homelink starts blinking in 5.6 Hz cycle, it means that the code has been properly programmed into the Homelink. You can now stop presssing the Homelink button.

3. Next, on your garage door opener (note, this is the main motor unit), you'll need to find the "Train" button (which is sometimes hidden inside the light cover). This "Train" button allows you to program a new remote to the garage door opener, so it can start registering the new rolling code. Press and release the "Train" button, and your garage door opener will start blinking. While garage door opener main unit is blinking (you should have about 30 seconds), get inside your car and push and release the recently programmed Homelink button a couple of times. Once your car's Homelink code has been registered, your garage door opener will operate correctly.

--------------------------------------------

PROCEDURE B: If you do NOT have a rolling code garage door opener (most older ones are of this type)

1. Decide which of the 3 Homelink buttons you want to use to open your garage door. Press this button for 20 seconds, after which the Homelink LED will start blinking about 1Hertz. Keep pressing this Homelink button.

2. Bring the handheld garage remote close to the Homelink unit in your car and firmly push the button on the handheld remote (for about 0.5 seconds) a few times (spacing the pushes about 1 push every 2 seconds). Once the red LED on the Homelink starts blinking 5.6 Hz cycle, it means that the code has been properly programmed into the Homelink. You can now stop presssing the Homelink button. Your remote has now been properly programmed and you can start using it immediately (since your garage door opener main unit does not have a rolling code feature that you need to train).

Notes: On a Genie type of garage door opener, the train button should be inside of the light cover on the main opener unit. If you open it up (2 screws on top of the plastic light cover), you should find a black button on the left side of the left light bulb. On Craftsman garage door openers, I believe the train button is on the rear of the main unit. It's somewhat apparent when you're looking for the train button. Good luck to all with this problem!

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 11-14-03 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-14-03, 10:02 AM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

yeah it works great if you have another person helping. i found that out too. lol one to push the button on the garage unit and you to do the car.
Old 11-14-03, 10:49 AM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

that sounds like a lot of work, which Im not to fond of...anyway, Ill give it a try. thanks for the help everyone!
Old 11-14-03, 11:04 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

Programming the Homelink is quite easier than it seems--it's just that my text was a little longer to make sure things were clear (which the Lexus owner' manual is not).

I could program a car within 5 minutes (assuming a rolling code garage door opener) start to finish. If it's a non-rolling code opener, it would only take about 30 seconds.
Old 11-14-03, 12:43 PM
whitelotus
Rookie

I thought it was going to be a big hassle (I NEVER got it to work in my MB) but I did it on the first try by myself! You may need to delete any old codes by pressing the two outer buttons for a couple seconds until it flashes. But I have the same opener, so I know it will work.

Last edited by whitelotus; 11-14-03 at 12:44 PM.