GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New to the board, considering a GS3/400

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-03, 10:42 AM
Skizza20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the board, considering a GS3/400

I stumbled across this board after a couple weeks of nothing but junk Lexus forums. It looks like a good community, and with any luck I'll have something to contribute soon. I've been considering buying a used GS3/400 in the next few weeks, though I live in an area with a good amount of snow and this will be my daily driver. Obviously I'm concerned about the snow (though I've driven a few RWD vehicles in the winter around here), but I was also wondering about the kinds of things I should look for in a used GS. Anything in particular go wrong with these cars? How bad are they really in the snow? Terrible, or just the normal RWD pain in slick conditions? Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-14-03, 10:46 AM
RI-GS4
Driver

Check your PM
Old 11-15-03, 11:12 AM
Skizza20
Driver School Candidate

I saw both of your cars posted in the classified area and responded to you. As far as my other questions, anyone have any insight? Maint./Reliability issues, ability to drive in the snow, etc. Thanks.
Old 11-15-03, 11:29 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Skizza20
I saw both of your cars posted in the classified area and responded to you. As far as my other questions, anyone have any insight? Maint./Reliability issues, aility to drive in the snow, etc. Thanks.
I will first tackle your Maint./Reliability issues with ALL Lexus GS.

You will find that service isn't something the GS needs regularly but every 30K miles. At every 60K interval is a huge engine checkup and runs about 600 or so (depending on part of the country).. Also at 90K is the timing belt change which can also be costly. Other then these, a simple oil change and fluid changes is all that it takes to keep your vehicle running properly. If you need more info.. a simple search (in the top left hand corner) will yield more than enough information.

Now for the Ability to drive in the snow...

I live in New Jersey. We, as well as you, were hit hard last year with heavy amounts of snow. I have a 1998 Lexus GS 300 and with winter tires and taking it slow, felt no fear of the road ways. Taking things slow and having the winter tires made me feel more than comfrotable even with a RWD vehicle. I think you will find yourself in likewise quarters with just snow tires and taking your time.

Any more questions you can ask here or do a search and you may find it quicker.

Welcome to club lexus!

-Anthony
Old 11-16-03, 06:39 AM
Skizza20
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Captain Bone
I will first tackle your Maint./Reliability issues with ALL Lexus GS.

You will find that service isn't something the GS needs regularly but every 30K miles. At every 60K interval is a huge engine checkup and runs about 600 or so (depending on part of the country).. Also at 90K is the timing belt change which can also be costly. Other then these, a simple oil change and fluid changes is all that it takes to keep your vehicle running properly. If you need more info.. a simple search (in the top left hand corner) will yield more than enough information.

Now for the Ability to drive in the snow...

I live in New Jersey. We, as well as you, were hit hard last year with heavy amounts of snow. I have a 1998 Lexus GS 300 and with winter tires and taking it slow, felt no fear of the road ways. Taking things slow and having the winter tires made me feel more than comfrotable even with a RWD vehicle. I think you will find yourself in likewise quarters with just snow tires and taking your time.

Any more questions you can ask here or do a search and you may find it quicker.

Welcome to club lexus!

-Anthony
Awesome. That's kind of what I was expecting, but it's good to hear from someone with experience. Thanks for the reply, Bone. Let the search begin
Old 11-16-03, 08:01 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Ski,

Welcome to ClubLexus!

I've been gathering a few links for a 'ClubLexus preparing for winter' annoucement that you'll find useful. I think the biggest problem with the GS in snow is when people try to drive with utlra performance tires or even some all season tires.

Here are some informative older threads you might want to review.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=97253 (NE Driving Recommendations)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=30388 (Snow and Ice how to)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=75306 (What to do with snow & ice)

Good luck in your search!
Old 11-16-03, 12:37 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You say this car will be your daily driver. I guess depending on how much commuting you have to do, you might be able to handle the RWD snow driving with the Lexus, but i would not do long commutes though.

How far do you live from work?
Old 11-16-03, 05:41 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I live in IL and commute to WI often. My GS430 is my daily driver. I bought an extra set of wheels from Steve Ganz at Carson Toyota and had the snows mounted on them. Have the Blizzak LM-22 tires and they are great for winter. If I had to do it again however, I would go with the Dunlop WinterSport M2/M3.
Old 11-17-03, 05:09 AM
Skizza20
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by GS4fun
You say this car will be your daily driver. I guess depending on how much commuting you have to do, you might be able to handle the RWD snow driving with the Lexus, but i would not do long commutes though.

How far do you live from work?
I only have a 25 minute commute, give or take, and it's mostly highway driving. I'm more concerned with trips back home or to the mountains where I'll be on less travelled paths. I'm not expecting a GS to get me over snow drifts or anything, but I need a vehicle that will at least keep me on the pavement when it gets a little ugly out.

Dave, thanks for thos links. I'm going to check those out today

Last edited by Skizza20; 11-17-03 at 05:09 AM.