GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

1st Gen VS. 2nd Gen comparison/thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-03, 09:46 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Gen VS. 2nd Gen comparison/thoughts

I have had my 98 GS400 for a week now, which is long enough for me to feel it out. Although I only drive it after work, i have been able to put about 450 miles on it driving on the highway, city, etc etc.

1. Exterior- the 1st Gen is a timless design, IMO. I was just looking at some old pics of my ex and she sure was beauty!! That being said I find the 2nd gen to be a "fresher" design, ie, short overhangs, bug eyed head lights, etc etc. I love the clear lens of the headlight, the auto leveling HID and yellow fogs!! Watching the lights adjust up/down as you drive is great fun!! Whereas I think I could get away with wheels and a drop with the 96, some sort of aero enhancement MUST be made to the 98! That is one difference worth noting.

2. Interior/Comfort/Convenience- the 1st gen has the most straight ahead leg room of any Lexus! (I'm 6'4", I should know) so I really miss the ability to sit with my legs almost fully extended. The 2nd Gen is a more efficient design though, you have the perception of room because you sit perched atop the seat, rather than sunken into it. the dash/centerstack is a lot higher as well. The back seat has more room too, I can put the drivers seat to a comfy posisiton, and then sit behind myself. The leather is about 2-3 times softer than the leather in my 96. The comfort/convenience features are VERY MUCH appreciated, like 1touch up/down windows/sunroof, in dash CD changer, dual zone climate control, coin box, Optitron gauges, larger radio display, MEMORY SEATS ( i love this), dual level arm rest, etc. I miss the daddy long legs 96, but the 98 is comfy too. The trunk is much larger, and user friendly, and I love that little strap that holds my carwash gallon jug!

3. Engine Performance- the most important thing that non 400 owners should know is, THIS CAR DOES NOT SNAP/JERK/JUMP LIKE A MUSTANG! This car is smooth at all times, which can lead to the misconception that immense levels of speed are not being achieved! I myself test drove the car thinking it would snap my head back like a whip, and thought it was soft, until I looked down and was going 120mph!! The best part of the larger engine is the EASE with which you can drive!! Passing is now a no brainer, whereas in my 96 I would have to put the pedal damn near through the floor board and wait, just to get that baby to boogy! The car is also a EFFORTLESS cruiser 85-90 seriously feels like 65. I love the exhaust note of the 400 as well. I have already surprised a few unsuspecting guys with a quick burst to 120!! I love it when someone is closing in on you fast, with the intent to blow by you, but as soon as they get within a 1/2 car length, you FLOOR it and just take off!!!! This totally undermines the momentum they already had going and makes them look bad
NOTE: This is one area where my assesment is a little skewed since I went from a 300 to a 400, perhaps someone that went from a 1st Gen 300 to a 2nd Gen 300 can chime in on this portion to offer a more balanced view point (paging LETSRIDE!)

4. Ride/Handling- the GS4 seems to be a little stiffer than my 96 was, but then again I barely remember my stock ride ( I put wheels on that car a week after I bought it!!). The suspension in the GS4 is DANGEROUSLY INADEQUATE!! Such a capable engine/tranny combo, deserves a much more capable suspension, this car gets downright scary in curves at the 90-110 range, the 96 probably wasnt so bad because it took me a day or two longer to get to 120 so I was mentally prepared! I am plain frightened to take this thing past 120 on stock suspension, with the nose diving and the thing rocking back and forth!

Overall- I can really appreciate the updates made to the car coming directly from its predecessor (sp). I am really happy with my new (to me) car, and I think I made the correct decision. Perhaps if my former car was a M5, I would not be so taken with my new chariot, but you know!

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 11-16-03 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-15-03, 10:18 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Nice write-up Hopefully in a year or two I can make a similar write-up when I upgrade to a 2nd gen GS.

Last edited by LB Lex; 11-15-03 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-15-03, 11:08 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

good job D... B still misses you D...

Last edited by Wald GS; 11-15-03 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-16-03, 09:20 PM
VI Rep
Driver

Originally posted by 93LexoGS300
Nice write-up Hopefully in a year or two I can make a similar write-up when I upgrade to a 2nd gen GS.
Maybe in two years I can make a similar write up when I upgrade to a 3rd Gen GS. I can not wait to see improvements on this car!! I have a 2000 GS 300. I cannot wait for the new one to come out. Especially that the Honda has 240 HP. I had a hard time running with the 2004 one yesterday. I will definately get the V8 the next time. I was too young to see the reason to get the 400!
Old 11-17-03, 05:36 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

D...in terms of going from a 1st gen to 2nd ...I'll chime in here. The performance of the 2nd gen is truly more impressive than the first. In the 1st gen the acceleration was lacking for a 2jz...(and yes my car was tuned properly) whereas in the 2nd gen it is smooth and precise. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have moved off from a light, just minding my own business and realizing that I am going almost 80mph The use of the VVT-i technology also helps at highway speeds.

Steering.....This is where I think the 1st gen has an edge over the 2nd. I had GS17's on both and the response on the 1st gen (no STB)was a little more acurate than the 2nd gen with a UGO STB. I would like to know what the steering ratios are for each model but I am now working on getting some upgraded steering components for the 2nd gen.

Wind / Cabin noise......As most of you may or may not know the !st gen was plauged with door trim pieces clips breaking contributing to elevate cabin noise. Well my 96 did not have that issue but the noise level was still higher in it than my current GS. This contributes to the tranquility and refinement in the design.

Availability of aftermarket support......well....lest just say there is no comparison unless you travel to Japan often

Old 11-17-03, 07:37 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

goos write up "D" , i agree with the speed burst while moving, no need 2 floor the car 2 catch up or pass someone, i'm really enjoying driving the gs4 but 2 tell the truth i though i was going 2 get bored with the 300 or not feel it anymore cus of the lesser engine power but i was driving yesterday and had fun around town with the car hitting it hard everywhere i went just 2 c how much slower it really was. i was shocked 2 say the least in that its not that much slower with all the weight i have on it,,, i fell good that i still ove the gs3 which makes my decisions harder on my future....anyway well said derrick, and can u please put the wheels on already !!???
Old 11-17-03, 08:03 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Letsride
I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have moved off from a light, just minding my own business and realizing that I am going almost 80mph The use of the VVT-i technology also helps at highway speeds.

Steering.....This is where I think the 1st gen has an edge over the 2nd. I had GS17's on both and the response on the 1st gen (no STB)was a little more acurate than the 2nd gen with a UGO STB. I would like to know what the steering ratios are for each model but I am now working on getting some upgraded steering components for the 2nd gen.

Thanks Lets, I kinda figured you could give a more "fair" evaluation since you went from 300 to 300. You are right, the newer 6cyl is alot more responsive, and gives the car a pretty good push when you floor it. I test drove a few and merged into traffic and there was def an improvement over my 96.

I could not put my finger on what I did not like about the steering, i didnt know if it felt aloof, or what. I kinda figured suspension would help out on that front. Make sure you do a writeup once you get your suspension done!
Old 11-17-03, 08:08 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

Great write up "D"!! It was a pleasure to read.

~Seize
Old 11-17-03, 09:22 AM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not bad for a guy with a new GS4 that has mods in his livingroom and won't use them. Now that you have put some miles on the car, can you hurry up and start modding so we can have something to talk about. My patients is wearing a little thin with you mister.LOL: