GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP! My GS Isn't Running Right!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-03, 10:58 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by brendanlim
It's at the dealership.
They are cleaning out some water that got into the spark plug cavities and the spark plugs need to be replaced too. It's costing $300. I should get my car back tomorrow evening.

It could have been much worse so I'm happy that it's going to be alright. I hope this work gets better.
Good to hear it's omly the water and plugs man!!!
Old 11-17-03, 11:01 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Brendan, did you leave the engine running while you sprayed the engine? I've sprayed mine down twice now with no probs, but I had the engine and A/C on. Engine doesn't look any cleaner, though. That's the part I've had problems with.
Old 11-17-03, 11:18 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

After washing the engine, try using some wd-40...it will displace the water from the sparkplugs...I have NEVER had any problems with washing an engine...just need to run it for a while after the wash. Good luck.
Old 11-17-03, 11:49 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I Just Washed Mine At A Carwash

Hello,
I just washed my 400 at a carwash using a pressure waher, and no ill effects. When I bought the car it had been detailed, but not under the black engine cover. I removed it the day before and found that it was filthy and covered with dust and cobwebs (original dust and dirt).

I did leave it running, but was very careful where I aimed. I did not use engine degreaser since it was only dusty. I have cleaned the engine on every car I've owned, and the only thing that ever killed the engine was water on the spark plugs and distributor cap, if it is equipped with one. Normally when you dry this out, everything is fine. I have seen the moisture build up inside the cap AFTER it drives fine for awhile, due to the heat and condensation.

Luckily you needed spark plugs or I would feel that the $300.00 was wasted.

I am glad to hear the everything turned out okay.

GSEREP1

Last edited by gserep1; 11-17-03 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-17-03, 11:56 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Pianoman72
Brendan, did you leave the engine running while you sprayed the engine? I've sprayed mine down twice now with no probs, but I had the engine and A/C on. Engine doesn't look any cleaner, though. That's the part I've had problems with.
Yeah I believe that had a lot to do with it. Engine wasn't running when it was sprayed down with water. Also, GSEREP1, I believe there was condensation due to heat that caused the problem also -- which explains the reason why it happened after I drove it 2-3 times.

Oh well, will make sure to clean the engine and maintain it so I dont have to do this again.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-17-03, 12:40 PM
joel5150
Lead Lap

Dang Brendan, sorry to hear about your GS, glad it was only the plugs an such.
I posted this on LOC an while back, and it has worked well for me.

I bought 2 semi-stiff paintbrushes. The ones that are all plastic.
I filled a small bucket with a about 1/8 of a cup of Simple Green, and the rest with warm water (about a gallon and a half). I took a rag, got it a little wet and wiped down the top of everything I could reach as far as the motor and tubing is concerned, then used the paint brushes to get all the metal car surfaces, any hard to reach places on the plastic, and anywhere else that was dirty or dusty. I used a spray bottle with water in it to get any places I missed and to rinse off any soap residue. I wiped everything down with towels with clean water on them, then dry towels and used my shop-vac in reverse to blow out any excess water. Sounds like quite a bit of work, but WOW !!!
The results are worth the time.

The motor looks brand new. I never thought it would look so good!

Good luck all and be carefull,

Joel
Attached Thumbnails HELP!  My GS Isn't Running Right!-my-sig-lexus.jpg  
Old 11-17-03, 01:59 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

hmm, ive owned many cars and washed out many engines and never had that problem before...and washing down my gs is not an exception either. Although the only thing about washing my engines is that I let the water naturally flow out of the hose and not use a high pressure nozzle since doing that will force water into crevices you dont want it to be in........glad to hear your car will be okay though....hate to see an engine go to waste over something as miniscule as cleaning it
Old 11-17-03, 02:29 PM
livesc400
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Brendan,

I'm glad to hear it wasn't too serious. I figured it was just moisture built up in electrical/ignition components. Kinda crazy how water could seep in small crevices like that. I have never had problems doing that to my old SC400 or my F-150. The key thing is that I kept the motor running to continually burn off excess moisture. I remember my SC having a plastic cover over my plugs which seemed to have helped protect them from water seeping in. What I would do next time is use some elbow grease and foaming engine cleaner and just wipe . It may take longer but it's much less risky . I'm sure she'll be fine (it is a Lexus....they are tough as nails...kinda like my Ford truck ). Can't wait to test drive her once you get the rear sway installed. It already handles like a champ

LiveSC400

Last edited by livesc400; 11-17-03 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-17-03, 03:42 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

I have seen a lot these problem happen on the I6 when people wash their engine down. All you have to is remove the sparkplugs/Coil use compress air to clean out all the water and You will be ok. Never have to replace plugs. But $300 is not too bad. Oh well, You have to becarefull next time.
JPI
Old 11-17-03, 03:49 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Good to hear your car hasn't crippled under the water you fed it.

Bad to hear that you won't be getting the 2JZ-GTE.

Have a good one.

-Anthony
Old 11-17-03, 04:43 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess this worked out for you. Not too bad at all. It really could have been much much worse!
Old 11-18-03, 05:16 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Update!

Got the car back today and it's running better than before with the new plugs. Thanks for the help guys. Let's take it as a lesson learned that water and engines don't mix

Can I put "$300 engine wash" on my mod list?
Old 11-18-03, 05:33 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Old 11-18-03, 05:59 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by brendanlim
Update!

Got the car back today and it's running better than before with the new plugs. Thanks for the help guys. Let's take it as a lesson learned that water and engines don't mix

Can I put "$300 engine wash" on my mod list?
Glad it worked out for you dude! Have your dad pick up the tab!